taco good
msg tools
I liked the place and feels it brings in a crowd I can relate to better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is this advertisement ? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like persnicketiness in search of an argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taco good
msg tools
dprijadi wrote:

I believe for an advertisement to be successful I'd have to tell you the name of the business or link you to it. None of which I have done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
dprijadi wrote:

If it is, it's not a good one, since it fails to mention either the name of the bar or the town/city/country it's in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[Deleted for gratuitous piling on. My apologies.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacosrgood wrote:

I know what place you speak of whistle and I am partial to them being a game cafe. I want to see them succeed. The fact that it is a crowd that you can relate to is exactly my concern for their longevity. Hopefully they get enough support from the gaming community to make a go of it. I guess I always imagined that a board game cafe would have to have a bit broader appeal to bring in the unconverted (and perhaps convert them ). I don't see them doing that at this stage. It feels a little too much like being in a game store that serves coffee and beer. By that I mean, it is the EXACT same crowd. I might be a minority opinion but, part of the excitement for me about board game cafes was the idea of seeing new people brought into the hobby. I would change some things about their set up to make them a little more broadly appealing (i.e. I'd utilize the wall space for displaying games and open up the floor space for tables since right now the gaming tables are hidden in back and the games block the view of this. For a newbie or the unconverted, walking in and first seeing all these intimidating games might make them feel they are in the wrong place? Maybe. I could be wrong on that). Yes, they need more table space but I spoke with an owner on my short visit and he said that was in the works. It only recently opened though and I know they are still building up their vision so, it'll be interesting to see that take shape.

IS there any reason why we are keeping mum on the name of the place? I don't see any harm but don't want to be the spoiler if it's a concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taco good
msg tools
quirogal wrote:
Tacosrgood wrote:

I know what place you speak of whistle and I am partial to them being a game cafe. I want to see them succeed. The fact that it is a crowd that you can relate to is exactly my concern for their longevity. Hopefully they get enough support from the gaming community to make a go of it. I guess I always imagined that a board game cafe would have to have a bit broader appeal to bring in the unconverted (and perhaps convert them ). I don't see them doing that at this stage. It feels a little too much like being in a game store that serves coffee and beer. By that I mean, it is the EXACT same crowd. I might be a minority opinion but, part of the excitement for me about board game cafes was the idea of seeing new people brought into the hobby. I would change some things about their set up to make them a little more broadly appealing (i.e. I'd utilize the wall space for displaying games and open up the floor space for tables since right now the gaming tables are hidden in back and the games block the view of this. For a newbie or the unconverted, walking in and first seeing all these intimidating games might make them feel they are in the wrong place? Maybe. I could be wrong on that). Yes, they need more table space but I spoke with an owner on my short visit and he said that was in the works. It only recently opened though and I know they are still building up their vision so, it'll be interesting to see that take shape.

IS there any reason why we are keeping mum on the name of the place? I don't see any harm but don't want to be the spoiler if it's a concern.

I agree with you 100% on everything and if you read the yelp reviews they say pretty much the exact same thing. I def want a place that leans way more towards the bar side of things to create a more casual environment to play games in. I think the game placement is kinda bad too and you are right it should be on the walls. Not staring you in the face when you come in.

I do however think they can do a ton with space they have. Just by getting rid of some or all the shelves when you come in would make a big difference. It would be nice if they dimmed the lights too. I know everyone always talks about good lighting but spot lighting would look much nicer and hurt my eyes much less when I am drunk.

Even tho these changes seem simple it might be hard for them. They might have figured so much of their profit would come from board game sales. Focusing on selling beer, wine, coffee and snacks. With board games being a bonus if they sell a copy.

Oh the reason for not listing the name of the place. I didn't want people to think I work there or am promoting the place. You can list it if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
quirogal wrote:

As someone who doesn't know the place, I really can't see what harm this could possibly do - especially on a website dedicated to the exact type of market a place like this would appeal to. I don't care as much about the specific name of the place, I'm more curious of where it's located. Is it in a city like New York, or some rural area where you gotta drive 20-30 miles to get to something resembling a town? I'm curious where a place like this could (and does) thrive.

I see the original poster edited his original post to say significantly less, I guess he wants this to be a general discussion rather than about a specific place - which is understandable, just really changes the original tone of this conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Seems like it's in or around Texas so not much use to me, but I agree, sharing the name might allow others who have experienced it to jump in and share their thoughts (unless this was meant to be more of a general "does beer and boardgames work as a business concept" question thread).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taco good
msg tools
delinear wrote:
Seems like it's in or around Texas so not much use to me, but I agree, sharing the name might allow others who have experienced it to jump in and share their thoughts (unless this was meant to be more of a general "does beer and boardgames work as a business concept" question thread).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/emerald-tavern-games-and-cafe-austin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup spot-lighting

As someone coming out of the restaurant biz, I can definitely vouch for making the atmosphere a little warmer and more inviting. Also I'll be interested to see what their food offerings become. I need to stop back by and see what's changed since day three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Tacosrgood wrote:
delinear wrote:

Here was my assessment last week I made about the place:

" It's not how I would have decorated. Very spartan...I told them they should paint the walls like a dungeon. Another thing I think they should do is to put the games for sale in the back walls, and make more room for tables. It would look more like a tavern and less like a quick store front. They need to had a better food menu. I think setting mood better will make it seem like a place to hang out, eat and drink rather than a games store where "gamers" hang out buy nothing and mooch the place up."

Us gaming last week(Excuse the shitty photographer):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacosrgood wrote:
delinear wrote:

Uh oh. And if I confirm that you definitely do not work for them, everyone will think I work for them too!

I do not! I'm a SAHM and former pastry chef...though I did momentarily toy with the idea of hooking them up with my services. But I'll wait and see how good/bad their food is first .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Tacosrgood wrote:
delinear wrote:

" It's not how I would have decorated. Very spartan...I told them they should paint the walls like a dungeon. Another thing I think they should do is to put the games for sale in the back walls, and make more room for tables. It would look more like a tavern and less like a quick store front. They need to had a better food menu. I think setting mood better will make it seem like a place to hang out, eat and drink rather than a games store where "gamers" hang out buy nothing and mooch the place up."

Us gaming last week(Excuse the shitty photographer):

Bingo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taco good
msg tools
I think some of it had to do with them not getting all the stuff they wanted done in time. I am sure they had grand plans but if you followed them you would notice they have been "Coming Soon" for almost 2 years. We would always joke about "Hey you want to go check out Emerald Tavern" knowing they were not open.

If you look at some of the owner pics it looks like they made all the tables and shelves them self. Maybe even the bar. I know they did all the labor without a crew. Maybe even the bar. I guess they were trying to save money or something. It feels like they might have ran out of time to do all the stuff they wanted to do. They have fold out plastic tables to fill in where they didn't finish or afford anymore wooden tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
The biggest issue in my mind is those game shelves. We have two fully stocked games stores within a few miles of this place that will get 99.9% of the business. This place should focus on the "tavern" side. A place to eat, drink beer, and PLAY games. Those game shelves that have taken a good portion of the possible table area are just going to languish. IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacosrgood wrote:
I think some of it had to do with them not getting all the stuff they wanted done in time. I am sure they had grand plans but if you followed them you would notice they have been "Coming Soon" for almost 2 years. We would always joke about "Hey you want to go check out Emerald Tavern" knowing they were not open.

If you look at some of the owner pics it looks like they made all the tables and shelves them self. Maybe even the bar. I know they did all the labor without a crew. Maybe even the bar. I guess they were trying to save money or something. It feels like they might have ran out of time to do all the stuff they wanted to do. They have fold out plastic tables to fill in where they didn't finish or afford anymore tables.

I'm sure this 100% true. I can think of lots of stuff I'd put in there to give it a nicer look and it adds on the $$$ really fast. Build outs are tricky and expensive and a lot of businesses take on a ton of debt just getting started which I'd not want to gamble on with a game cafe. Still, some warmer color paint could've done wonders with little expense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Tacosrgood wrote:
delinear wrote:

I wonder if they should offer games for sale at all. Any way you display them they take up a lot of room (even on the walls they would impact how tables can be placed in order to allow people to get to them)and are notoriously low profit margin compared to cost to display. Seems to me that they should concentrate on getting folks into the place (more tables and more events) and pushing their high profit items (i.e. beer and coffee)

Food is a necessary evil on a place where you are encouraging people to stay for hours but it can be a huge profit hole if not done right. They really do feel like a game store that happens to sell beer instead of a tavern you can play games in. I would prefer the tavern but I just hope they make it whatever they decide to be. They are nice folks and we need a place like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
The biggest issue in my mind is those game shelves. We have two fully stocked games stores within a few miles of this place that will get 99.9% of the business. This place should focus on the "tavern" side. A place to eat, drink beer, and PLAY games. Those game shelves that have taken a good portion of the possible table area are just going to languish. IMHO.

Stop posting exactly what I am typing at the same time. It makes me look derivative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Yeah, I think it will take them a few months to determine the sweet spot for table vs. shelf space. That's why I think utilizing the walls would allow more flexibility to figure this out without diminishing table space too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taco good
msg tools
Kafka wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Tacosrgood wrote:
delinear wrote:

I wonder if they should offer games for sale at all. Any way you display them they take up a lot of room (even on the walls they would impact how tables can be placed in order to allow people to get to them)and are notoriously low profit margin compared to cost to display. Seems to me that they should concentrate on getting folks into the place (more tables and more events) and pushing their high profit items (i.e. beer and coffee)

Food is a necessary evil on a place where you are encouraging people to stay for hours but it can be a huge profit hole if not done right. They really do feel like a game store that happens to sell beer instead of a tavern you can play games in. I would prefer the tavern but I just hope they make it whatever they decide to be. They are nice folks and we need a place like this.

I don't think they should offer board games for sell at all either. They should take the shelves out expand the library of free 2 play games. Expand the beer on tap.. Put more tavern stuff in there. Oh and you cant see it in the picture but they have an entire array of Warhammer 40k. The place is way too small as it is to even play that game on any kind of decent scale. They prob feel its too much of a risk to break 100% away from the current model. They are right next to a pub that has cheap craft beers btw :/ 2.50 on mondays

About food I think it is a headache to sell too. One of my friends owned a bar and said adding food was a huge mistake. You generally have to have more labor on hand to deal with it. Depending on the food it goes out of date and you are tossing it. Beer takes months to go out of date on a top and pretty much never in bottle.

Another thing no one mentioned is they are very welled staffed. Maybe they will cut back but a few places I have been to usually only have 1 maybe 2 people working. And other places have that 1 guy sitting at his station playing a game or talking to some friend. Hardly doing any work. So I like the fact this place has a large number of staff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if I were the owner here's what I'd say...

Alright GENIUSES, go open up your god damn games cafe!! laugh

So full of ideas are we. I'm sure the actual owners are more open to suggestions. I'm too grumpy to have a game cafe .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quirogal wrote:
Well if I were the owner here's what I'd say...

Alright GENIUSES, go open up your god damn games cafe!! laugh

So full of ideas are we. I'm sure the actual owners are more open to suggestions. I'm too grumpy to have a game cafe .

Well, since I have about 15 years experience in the food/beverage service industries I did, in fact, already speak to the owners and tell them what I thought. Hey, they asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.