Subject: Looking for a good space themed game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Diaz
United States
Monterey Park
California
flag msg tools
While I was out purchasing a few board games with some birthday money my cousin asked me about space themed games and which ones woud be fun to play, I honestly couldn't give her a straight answer as I have recently got into board games as a hobby.

Would any f you kind souls give me some suggestions?

Thank you and have a great night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
That all really depends on what you're looking for:

A boardgame where you are all aliens trying to conquer each other's planets: Cosmic Encounter

A tense humans-vs-cylons struggle for survival: Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

A great miniature combat game: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game

Dice heavy game about colonizing a planet: Alien Frontiers

All great games, just depends on what you're looking for. Check out the geeklists and the game forums for more reviews & suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb

The four games above are all good fun games.

If you are looking for a more in-depth simulation of the space program in our solar system then you may want to check out: High Frontier and it's expansion.

Epic thematic conflict among space empires? Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)

Epic hex & counter war between empires? Space Empires: 4X

2D space combat in a "Star Trek-like" setting? Federation Commander: Klingon Border

3D space combat in the "Honor Harrington" setting? Saganami Island Tactical Simulator

Edit: Added the box covers of the games for recognizability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a couple of other suggestions would include
Race for the Galaxy
A classic game that you attempt to explore and expand your space empire (some say the theme is a little lost)

A lighter style game would be Core Worlds which is a deckbuilding space game that puts you as the barbarian invaders working your way to the center of the galaxy and its 'core worlds'

Finally in the 4x style but not as long as TI3 would be Exodus: Proxima Centauri

But without knowing what kind of games your friend is looking for its a little tricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently enjoying Star Trek: Attack Wing

Its much like X Wing above but with Star Trek ships and rules modifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Space trading?

Merchant of Venus (second edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you are a fan of two LoTR deck building games I'd recommend you give Eminent Domain a look. It is a different kind of deck builder and may suit your tastes. There is no direct interaction but an expansion that is coming out soon adds that element plus cards for a 5th player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Space Alert !

And if you want to play a light and fun skirmish game, you may want to take a look at Interstellar Mayhem.

Rumor has it there's a 2nd edition in the making...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an excellent lite-wargame sci-fi title that has good depth to weight ratio:

Star Borders: Humanity

This series has six expansions planned which should, in the end, provide a fantastic 4X experience for up to six players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An entirely self-serving entry...

Star Borders: Humanity

Star Borders: Aliens

With more expansions on the way...
(Gah! Randall beat me to it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

Not long ago I noticed I had no sci-fi themed game also. I looked into Nexus Ops, Merchant of Venus (second edition), Rex: Final Days of an Empire and several others.

Merchant lost due to it's play time, it appears to play a bit long for games I play (FYI, this is the same reason Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) wasn't even considered).

Nexus Ops seemed to be a space themed wargame and I am a bit of a WW2 purist with my wargames.

Rex won out due to the gameplay is like nothing I have and I heard it was a reprint of Dune and I knew I would never pay the kind of prices people want for that.

Very fun strategy/diplomatic/wargame (?) that it's only possible down side is that it does play a bit better with a full complement of people (eg. 5-6).

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascending Empires
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven F
United States
wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lately I've been enjoying this game. Its a space combat game where you program your ship via cards.
Dog Fight: Starship Edition

The new FireFly game is very cool too. Sort of like MOV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bain
United States
Clarksville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker

My group loves this. Lite, lots of fun, and lots of laughs. When it hits the table we'll play several games of it in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your cousin might consider Andromeda . I got a used one. Different trading mechanism than most other games, fairly easy rules, fun planet ring/'wormhole' device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raúl Chouza
Mexico
Tijuana
Baja California
flag msg tools
MoonBase Alpha looks quite good:

http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=226&category...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starmada: The Admiralty Edition is a generic space combat game with a focus on small fleet actions. There is a spreadsheet to design ships, so just about every TV and Movie of note has been converted already by fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Fleet Captains

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klatschi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course: Hegemonic
Brand new 4x game, that is way more abstract than TI, Exodus, etc.

Hegemonic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Madd
United States
Statesboro
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the Stars is a Card Drafting Game similar to 7 Wonders where you are building a Space Station. Has a nice spatial element to it (figuring out how to position your cards) which makes it different (and some say better) than 7 Wonders.

Level 7: Omega Protocol is a dungeon crawl in space. Players lead a team of space marines into an alien facility and deal with the evil alien monsters that pop out of the walls while they are trying to complete their objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andromeda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Comandante
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few ones that have not been mentionned earlier and, IMHO , seem to deserve a look.

Star Warriors if you can find one second-hand.
Silent Death is also an excellent tactical space combat game.
Full Thrust takes you to another scale : big ships in deep space. A simpler SITS.
Stargrunt II to play with SF land minis; and it's a free download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hutton
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ryan,

I'm a fan of the space-themed stuff myself - few thoughts for you (btw - most of the games I would suggest have already been tagged/linked above so won't repost links)

How often does your cousin play games? As in, does she play quite a lot of other games and therefore would like something with a bit of depth to it, or is it more a casual, fun style of game you think should would like

I own Eclipse, Galaxy Trucker, and Race for the Galaxy

Galaxy Trucker:
2 - 4 players
about an hour to play
Easily the most fun of the three, and the one I have had most success with in terms of introducing to people and they wanted more afterwards. There are always laughs involved too

Eclipse:
2-6 players, but not really worth it unless minimum of 4
approx 30 mins per player
Brilliant game, but it takes a while to learn. It's pretty full-on, so I wouldn't recommend unless she plays games already and wants something with some substance (if that's what she wants though, then definitely recommend it)

RftG:
2-4 players (increases with expansions)
45 mins to play
Another awesome game that I personally really enjoy, setis somewhere between the above two. It's exclusively card-based and has a lot of iconography so could be a little bland for someone not into games already, but it's a solid game with a lot of substance (recommend you include the first expansion from the get-go as it really enhances the core game and solves some balancing issues)

I have heard nothing but awesome things about Cosmic Encounter, and that it probably what I will pick up next, but can't comment on how suitable it might be

of course, there are a ton of others...Twilight Imperium is epic, but not worth it unless she has a decent-size group of people with the time and inclination to play it. Battlestar Galactica is a solid game with hidden traitor elements, which are usually fun and ties into the TV series obviously if she is a fan of that

Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.