United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So ever since I began playing with decisive defeats, I seem to lose on the first turn half the time. If the Baltic Front advances, I always seem to critically fail against them on the first turn, and then roll that 1 or a 2 which marches them into Petrograd, dropping my Political Level Track to 0.

Sometimes I can survive the first turn, either by having spent my political decrees (and rolling well) to prevent a first turn Petrograd failure. But even then, due to dice, I might make it 10 cards if I'm lucky. These decisive failures just end the game way too quickly.

Am I playing these correctly? Do they really advance a unit when you roll the 1, and then possibly again if you roll equal to or less than the space they occupy? Is it supposed to be this arbitrarily difficult? Because it does seem to be arbitrary, masochistic difficulty. I see no way to prevent it, to plan around it, or anything, except not roll 1's.

For now I'm just not playing with decisive defeats or victories, since it just seems to ruin the game. It's just no fun losing in the first 10 cards 99% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You bet, comrade. Decisive defeats are very dangerous. I concluded as you did, they were too dangerous. I liked the idea. But, I tired of getting my head blown off and no options to deal with it.

I came up with a house rule where Reserve Offensive chits became simply Reserves. The basic idea was these chits could be used defensively to contain White breakthroughs. Worked really well. Made for interesting choices for the player. Eventually, this rule became part of my "Soviet Dawn 2.0 - Bolshevik Edition".

Here is a link to the rules => http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76168/soviet-dawn-2-0-bols...

Here are my Design Notes => http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/765675/design-notes-for-sovi...

Good luck, comrade. If you have any questions, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Here are some further thoughts on Decisive Military Outcomes > http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/543872/denkin-unstoppable-de...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that is all good to know. Glad I'm not the only one!

Now that I've got you here, and you do seem to have played the crap out of Soviet Dawn, I have another question. How do you reconcile using Cheka while you are playing the historical scenario? I mean, the point of the scenario is to play the cards in number order. Shuffling one back in with Cheka seems to defeat the purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Namrok wrote:
...you do seem to have played the crap out of Soviet Dawn... How do you reconcile using Cheka while you are playing the historical scenario? I mean, the point of the scenario is to play the cards in number order. Shuffling one back in with Cheka seems to defeat the purpose.

You catch on quick, comrade. The Cheka chit and the historical scenario don't work together for the very reason you point out. I recommend ditching the historical scenario. It is fine for learning. But, for repeated play, it's game value is limited. One of the key game dynamics (and delights) is how the three event decks combine. If you lay out the cards, notice how the epochs blend? Take a look => http://boardgamegeek.com/image/801362/soviet-dawn

Yes, I've played the game a few times ('bout 850 by my reckoning). The amazing thing is how the game NEVER repeated itself. The historic scenario, by definition, is a repeat. That strikes me as a dull proposition the next time through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.