Subject: Is it worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Baker
United States
Carlsbad
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Hey-You Looked! Been on BGG for a couple years and just getting around to this...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking of getting this one since I saw pictures of it wonderful counters and board. Your opinion, it it worth it?
Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Kickstarted the basic set (paper map, no box) and am very happy with the results; gave me a great solo player game to kick about with when my old Aliens game from Leading Edge isn't going to scratch that itch.

Not sure I play enough solo stuff to justify a fuller implementation of it (although they did look very pretty, and my counters do get kinda cluttered sometimes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's landed in Australia? surprise Still waiting in the UK...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Components wise, they do look nice and are of good quality. The counters are made from a single piece of wood, and then laser cut (I think). I backed the Classic Edition (paper/poster map with no box; only large ziploc bag).

As for the gameplay, I have yet to try out the game. Currently it's waiting in a queue for games that I need to get played. Sorry I can't help you with this one.

Why don't you look at it from the price point? If it's cheap enough, probably won't hurt your wallet. Just an opinion I forgot how much I paid for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
a great solo player game to kick about with when my old Aliens game from Leading Edge isn't going to scratch that itch.

That's one reason LF:tVI exists -- the Aliens game didn't scratch our itch either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scratch that - guess what landed in today's mail! Very excited!

Gmaal wrote:
It's landed in Australia? surprise Still waiting in the UK...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan wills
United States
Wonder Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say absolutely it is worth it. It's very easy to leave setup and come back to, the components are nice and the game play is exciting. Even though the game is somewhat scripted in terms of what can be done, the variety of events and combinations of items in the bag offer a huge replayability factor. The end game is variable too so no game will ever play the same way twice. It's very hard to score a total success so it keeps you coming back to try again. (my highest score so far is 44 and I feel I got fairly lucky early on in that game.)

I cut my map into three seperate sections too, it works better than the combined map for me anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Baker
United States
Carlsbad
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Hey-You Looked! Been on BGG for a couple years and just getting around to this...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I like the board and heavier pieces, but I am not sure I can justify its cost right now. But might figure out a way to swing it.
You know, what I especially think is cool is that it's publisher is a small business that's interested in keeping some of the oldies but goodies around.
Something that might get me to push this along.
Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game scratches me too even though I am not particularly fond of alien stuffs. Does it give the similar feel of Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game? Fighting the aliens inside a narrowly constricted corridor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Feynman is a lot less cramped than the (paradoxically, much larger) ship in Death Angel. In that game you spend a lot of time managing which way your Terminators are facing, while in LF:tVI you spend a lot of time managing which rooms you're going to enter and with who. The alien ambushes are deadlier in LF, but DA feels way more claustrophobic.

It's probably worth mentioning that we had played the original Space Hulk while developing LF:tVI, and wanted to get away from its "space dungeon" feel. This is one reason there's so many encounters and special ship area rules, we wanted to give you as many reminders as possible that you're on a still-functioning spaceship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it yesterday for the first time. It is definitely worth the price!

The game is well redesigned, the components are great and you have that complete Alien-feeling

@Neal: Any chance that there might be an expansion in the future...different spaceships or maybe a space station?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hawkeye_de wrote:
Any chance that there might be an expansion in the future...different spaceships or maybe a space station?

Unfortunately, not in the immediate future. At one point we were working on a campaign game, where you would command a Marine platoon through a whole tour of duty, a la Hornet Leader. But the hobby turned in a different direction and slid out from under us near the turn of the century.

If I didn't have a demanding day job and two grade-school-aged children, I could dust off those notes. Maybe when the kids are older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, the price of having a life...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.