Subject: Suburbia, deal of the day at Cultofthenew $32.99 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny Inquirer

Virginia Gardens
Florida
msg tools
mbmb
After seeing Vinhos at $20 the other day, I've had my eye on this site.

http://www.thecultofthenew.com/suburbia.html
Copies: 12
$32.99

The $150 free shipping threshold is pretty high but if you order Sedition Wars at 58.99 your order ships free. Also, they give you the equivalent of $2 for registering to their newsletter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to the Solosaurus Podcast on iTunes, Google Play, and YouTube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth every penny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
For comparison it's:
$38.99 @ Miniature Market
$39.99 @ Coolstuffinc
$42.79 @ Amazon.com (Free shipping)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base price isn't bad, but the $22 shipping to US bumps it over the Amazon price. (Ha! How's that for a change? American complaining about shipping from Canada....)

Agreed that the price is excellent and this is another game that's high on my "want to play" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
for anyone who likes this game and hasn't tried Glen More.... I much prefer Glen More, but you may like both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
for anyone who likes this game and hasn't tried Glen More.... I much prefer Glen More, but you may like both

Hunh, I didn't realize they were similar? I've wanted both, I really like tile-laying games, but I didn't realize they were similar enough to only need one. Also, isn't Glen More out of print?

I already have Keyflower which I think is kind similar, I should probably try to figure that one out first before jumping on another one. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Although I've only played Keyflower and Glen More once each, I prefer Suburbia to both.

Keyflower is very much a bidding game/action game. I had a really had time estimating the relative player positions during the game.

Suburbia is strictly conveyor belt buying and tile playing. I really like the scoring board and red line mechanic in the game.

I played Glen More a while ago. I don't remember why I wasn't that fond of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Keyflower, but I'm a big fan of both Glen More and Suburbia. I never really saw the connection between the two it until it was pointed out in this thread. Suburbia has a much higher focus on money management and more connection between players, as far as tile effects go. There's room for both in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:
Although I've only played Keyflower and Glen More once each, I prefer Suburbia to both.

Keyflower is very much a bidding game/action game. I had a really had time estimating the relative player positions during the game.

Suburbia is strictly conveyor belt buying and tile playing. I really like the scoring board and red line mechanic in the game.

Thanks for that succinct, yet helpful definition. Keyflower being a little heavier of a game, I haven't sat down to learn it on my own yet, but I have watched a few videos and have the basic idea. Suburbia I've just read some opinions about.

I still definitely want to pick up Suburbia at some point, I enjoy tile laying games. I've held off a bit because I have yet to enjoy an engine-building game, but I think I'd like the idea of city-building more, possibly?

I do wonder if you're discounting Keyflower without much experience though. If you've only played it once, you wouldn't know what to look for. I would guess that after more plays you'd have a better idea what your opponent was up to, and how to block/outbid them.

RhodesN7 wrote:
I've never played Keyflower, but I'm a big fan of both Glen More and Suburbia. I never really saw the connection between the two it until it was pointed out in this thread. Suburbia has a much higher focus on money management and more connection between players, as far as tile effects go. There's room for both in my collection.

Would you say one would be better to start with than the other? I don't know if I care for money-management as much, but I do really look for player connection and interaction.

Mostly though, I have a pretty inexperience game group, so I'm trying to build them up slowly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
TyDeL wrote:
I do wonder if you're discounting Keyflower without much experience though...

I don't think I'm discounting it. I think the key word is "preferred". I never said that Keyflower is a bad game or that I don't like it. I just said that I preferred Suburbia and part of it was because it felt more intuitive.

I'm not unwilling to play Keyflower again, but there's a good chance that I probably won't. That's just because there are so many other good games that I want to try or haven't played in a long time. Perhaps in that respect you could say I'm not giving it a fair shot, but life isn't fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
TyDeL wrote:
RhodesN7 wrote:

Would you say one would be better to start with than the other? I don't know if I care for money-management as much, but I do really look for player connection and interaction.

Mostly though, I have a pretty inexperience game group, so I'm trying to build them up slowly.

I think Suburbia is pretty easy to teach and it's been well received by the two groups I've taught it to. The only tricky thing about the game is that if everyone's a novice, it's more likely that people will forget to apply certain effects. If you have one person with one or two plays under their belt then it shouldn't be an issue.

By money management it, I think it's mostly just making sure you get your income going before you start increasing your reputation. Otherwise you'll find yourself starved for cash. It's not like Power Grid where you need to count and recount your money every step of the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:
By money management it, I think it's mostly just making sure you get your income going before you start increasing your reputation. Otherwise you'll find yourself starved for cash. It's not like Power Grid where you need to count and recount your money every step of the way.

Ah, good to hear, thanks. I've bumped Suburbia up on my wishlist. Might have to wait a little bit, I feel like I should at least give Keyflower a few plays before I move onto something remotely similar.

I guess it is still duking it out with Manhattan Project as the next engine-building type game I pick up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
lankyb wrote:

Ah, good to hear, thanks. I've bumped Suburbia up on my wishlist. Might have to wait a little bit, I feel like I should at least give Keyflower a few plays before I move onto something remotely similar.

I guess it is still duking it out with Manhattan Project as the next engine-building type game I pick up.

I would suggest getting Suburbia first. Glen More can seem a little abstract and might not be as pleasing to newer groups of gamers. Plus, right now Suburbia is cheaper since Glen More is out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.