Dungeon Twister 2: Prison» Forums » General

Subject: Worth getting primarily for solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Much as I'd love to play this sort of game with others, I may not have many opportunities.

How strong is this as a solo game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Skellett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
A wolf and a penguin could never live together, nor could a camel and a hippopotamus. That would be absurd.
badge
And the older you get, the fewer things you really love. And by the time you get to my age, maybe it's only one or two things. With me, I think it's one.
mbmbmbmbmb
esin wrote:
Much as I'd love to play this sort of game with others, I may not have many opportunities.

How strong is this as a solo game?

I think it's very strong as a solo game. It's the only solo variant of a game that I will actually bother to play.

It's not like you're playing both sides of a 2 player game: there's a whole set of components & rules just for the solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARIOS CHRISTAKIS
Greece
KASTORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon twister is a 10 for me.
It is nice as a solo game but I prefer Gears of war for solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
badge
?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's definitely a worthy solitaire game.
I haven't played in a couple of years, but am interested in getting it back out to revisit the challenge.

This YouTube person, Eric Aylward (is he here on BGG?) has been filming his solitaire play sessions for DT: Prison and uploading to YouTube.
He creates his own variants and trims down the dungeon layout to a couple of tiles. I'm enjoying his videos and hope he uploads some more of his sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with most solo games, DT2 solo plays more like a puzzle than a game. It works fine, but I don't find it that engaging. With another player it has that chess-like quality of trying to anticipate your opponent's next moves whereas the solo version just has you rolling dice to determine the behavior of the NPCs. If you like abstract puzzles, you might like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik T.A. wrote:
whereas the solo version just has you rolling dice to determine the behavior of the NPCs.

This is a misrepresentation of the NPC behavior, they each actually have their own (thematic) personality, with each having a different prioritized list of actions they will do if possible. Been a while since I played but as far as their behavior goes, doesn't rolling the dice only happen in certain tie-breaker situations when the "AI algorithm" doesn't have a clear choice? Contrasted against AIs in other games I've played where it's much more weighted towards randomly decided AI behavior.

For the OP, yes, I'd highly recommend it for solo play, one of the best solo implementations i've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik T.A. wrote:
As with most solo games, DT2 solo plays more like a puzzle than a game. It works fine, but I don't find it that engaging. With another player it has that chess-like quality of trying to anticipate your opponent's next moves whereas the solo version just has you rolling dice to determine the behavior of the NPCs. If you like abstract puzzles, you might like this.

You only roll dice to determine initial placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is a misrepresentation of the NPC behavior

While NPCs do have ranked "objectives," that AI is usually determined by the location you roll when placing them (e.g. if they are trapped in a small room, they won't be revealing new locations or engaging in combat anytime soon). Furthermore, a die is also used to determine the rotation direction and number of AP spent when rotating rooms and, as you mentioned, the "proximity rule" (page 7) states that in cases of equal AP expenditure, you roll to determine the result.

I'm certainly not arguing that this is a poor implementation of solo play, I just don't find it that interesting compared to two-player. If you're predisposed to enjoy solo puzzle games, it might be a good fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No its is not. Its is a terrible solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
tkzubaran wrote:
No its is not. Its is a terrible solo game.

Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.