Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
73 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Hawaii» Forums » Reviews

Subject: What you need to know and what people think about Hawaii (the game that Tom Vasel publicly murdered) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Nasty [+] [View All]
Released in 2011, Hawaii is the first published design by Greg Daigle, and went on to be nominated for several gaming industry awards. Its achievements include being named as one of the Recommended games by the jury for the 2012 Spiel des Jahres Kennerspiel award, an honour which means that it can be favourably compared with successful titles like Village, Bruges, Lancaster, and Strasbourg. In short, it's a medium weight euro that's a step up in complexity above the average gateway game, and precisely the kind of game that will be of interest to most readers here.

In this game for 2-5 players, players visit the island paradise of Hawaii, and are faced with the challenge of building beautiful and profitable island villages. It's a worker placement game with strong resource management elements, with shades of games like Stone Age and Vikings. Don't be expecting a vacation though, because there's lots to think about in this highly regarded euro. It may hold the infamous `honour' of public humiliation through being ceremonially designated for the Tom Vasel family garbage, but fortunately it has ample fans ready to speak up in its defence and to sing its praises!

I've scoured the personal comments and skimmed through some reviews and other articles, and carefully organized some key quotations to bring you the important things you need to know and what other people think about Hawaii. The parts in bold express my own conclusions, which are then expanded upon and substantiated by the citations that follow, to give you a feel of what most people are saying on each point. Perhaps you could call this a kind of "consensus of opinion", somewhat biased because I'm the one who gets to pick the quotes to include, but overall a well-rounded and fairly objective viewpoint. So here you have it, an at-a-glance overview of some of the majority opinions that you need to know about this game.

NB: For more reviews like this, see this list.

1. The basic concept is that you're a Hawaiian chief travelling the islands to build villages.
"Build villages in your tropical realm. Add various huts, hula dancers, surfers, boats, tikis, idols and kahunas to improve the production and value of your villages." - Rob Steward
"You spend resources to move across the island map to gather pieces to add to your one or more villages. Your villages then generate resources. It's a very fun game." - John Fetter
"Players are Hawaiian chiefs, traveling the islands, trying to build up the best collection of villages. Players on their turn spend "feet" tokens to travel to island spaces, to purchase a building, boat, tiki or artisan. These purchases are made using "shells". Alternatively, the chiefs can visit the beach and use their boats for fishing, or visiting the islands. The idea is you are trying to grow lucrative villages, that will provide an economy of shells, feet, food, and victory points, over five turns." - Doug Adams
"It is a resource management/building game with a variable board for continued replays. The resources are feet (movement), shells(buying buildings), or fruit(can be either feet or shells but you cannot combine them)." - Charles A. Davis

2. The central mechanics combine worker placement (reminiscent of Stone Age), with village building (reminiscent of Vikings).
"It feels like the love child of Vikings and Stone Age, but Hawaii is better than both (and I like both games!)" - Bayushi Sezaru
"I really like this hybrid economic game that blends gameplay between worker placement-like elements and the build-up economy play of a game like Vikings." - Jeff Hastings
"Hawaii is a worker placement game with a bit of a spatial element." - Rob Steward
"A cross between Stone Age and Vikings - no bad thing." - Brian Moore
"A colorful combination of personal village building and clever use of worker placement/movement." - Bob Rademaker
"Individual player board is like Vikings, but theme is nicer and mechanics for getting the stuff is nice worker placement." - Candy Weber
"An excellent worker placement/resource management game. My pick for best game of 2012." - Adam O'Brien

Like Stone Age, it's a worker placement game.
"Good and simple worker placement game." - CycyX
"This is a good worker placement game with many ways to win." - Brian Sinclair
"An enjoyable light worker placement game. In the same complexity range as Stone Age." - Peter Hein
"Nice midweight work placement game." - Norberto Leiva
"Very tactical worker placement game where there are a bunch of ways to get points as you build a village." - Marc Perkins
"A fresh worker placement game." - Marijn Vis
"This is a great worker placement with some nice strategy. I felt like it played very similar to Stone Age without the luck of the dice rolls to collect resources." - Todd Baker

Like Vikings, you're building islands/villages.
"The villages are reminiscent of those in Vikings except you don't have to deal with attacks and feeding -- they're just for scoring." - John Squires
"The first game that I've seen try to duplicate the Vikings island-building mechanic, and it does it in a fun way when you jumble it with all of the other things going on." - Rick Baptist
"Vikings is one of my top games, so I can imagine this eventually working its way into my heart." - Drew1365
"A worker placement game of sorts, that feels like a more complicated version of Vikings, with a different way of setting prices on the tiles available to purchase." - James Fehr
"Vikings like end game scoring with a constant struggle between competing for points each round versus end game versus engine building." - Paul Lister
"This is very good strategy game with some clever use of the tile placement system from Vikings." - Mik Svellov

3. The way in which these mechanics fit together shows evidence of a very solid game design which combines different elements well.
"Roam around the board, picking up tiles which either get you points or resources. What makes the game work so well is the interaction of its parts. All of the scoring opportunities are dependent on other assets you pick up, and where you place them. Similarly, you have competing goals on where to place those assets." - Jonathan Degann
"Scratches the same itch as Stone Age but is a more complicated game to pick up. Some lovely mechanics, and nice balance in the game." - James Sinden
"The mechanics have been seen numerous times before, but the variable board lay-out, along with the ability to offer an excellent game throughout it's 2-5 player count make it a great addtition to anyones collection." - Neil Cook
"In many ways Hawaii looks like a nice, happy little Euro along the lines of Stone Age ... For my money, though, Hawaii is a tougher, meaner game than that. While it looks like an innocuous, soulless Euro, hidden in the depths of all that cardboard is a mean, tight little game with tactical action that can cut you up." - Alan Goodrich
"Resource management and worker placement have been combined in a really compact way." - Juuso Mattila

4. Particularly noteworthy are the myriad ways of scoring points, which give room for many different strategies and paths to victory.
"What I like is the large number of ways to score, and the competition for the tiles." - John Squires
"One of those with plenty of ways to win and lots to think about." - Walt Mulder
"And there's lots of different ways to approach scoring in this game which is its strength - buy straight VP's, buy bonus VP tiles, buy stuff that builds an engine that allows you to buy more stuff later, buy legs so you can get to more sites each turn, and more and more and more. Meaning there's enough variety to pull you back for more games." - Patrick Brennan
"The paths to victory are quite varied." - CanAmer
"Very meaty optimization game with lots of choices and paths to victory." - Osku aka Osku
"There is an outstanding number of ways to score points ... I am astounded at the different approaches you can try in this game." - Jason Sugiuchi
"A classic Euro! Many ways to get victory points and many strategies are possible." - Peter R.

5. Hawaii's variable set-up and multiple paths to victory ensure strong replayability.
"The random board setup, resource pricing and god tile order keeps it fresh." - Chris Schott
"What I really like about the game is the variability. Each game is totally different than the next, as the tile layouts are done randomly in setup." - Steve Duff
"High replayability because of the different board layout & tile combinations generated for every game." - Osku aka Osku
"Great is the random setup that makes it impossible to follow the same strategy each game. Gamers must stay flexible." - Peter R.
"The random set-up pretty much guarantees that multiple games will play out differently, because some things will be easy to access in different games." - Drew1365
"A lot of strategies to try and due to the modular board every game it's going to be different. I see a lot of replayability in this game." - ROBERTO M
"Replay value is good as the tiles are re-ordered for each game and each game round has new challenges presented by changing the value of each area." - Alan How

6. Despite the many moving parts and initial impressions of complexity, the game-play proves relatively easy to learn and quickly becomes intuitive.
"Despite my initial concern that the game would be overly complex, everything is pretty intuitive after half a game." - James Torr
"There are lots of rules to cover off so getting through the first play is a challenge, but once you're up and going, it runs along at a decently enjoyable clip and has all that trademark worker placement tension you expect." - Patrick Brennan
"To anyone teaching the game : Clearly communicate the end game scoring conditions. You can easily get lost in all the hoopla of the various tiles and forget there is an end game goal that you missed completely." - Jason Sugiuchi
"Rules are simple to grasp and the tiles are easy to memorize after a few plays" - Liz Burton
"Hawaii is not a terribly difficult game to teach or learn, but for a Euro it is pretty complex. I would probably not use it to introduce a newcomer to gaming." - Ozludo
"There are a lot of moving parts in this game but the gameplay was surprisingly smooth and straightforward." - Kevin Duffy
"While there appear to be a lot of rules and niggly bits, once you start everything becomes intuitive." - Osiris Ra

7. As is common for games like this, the theme is not entirely convincing, but does still lend a positive supporting role to the mechanics, and is playful and happy.
"The theme is a disconnect, but it's still fun to play with tikis and such." - Rick Baptist
"JASE, maybe but still good." - Walt Mulder
"If you are typically opposed to Stefan Feld style Euros, the type that arbitrarily reward you with victory points for completeing a list of generally unrelated actions, you will absolutely loathe this game. The theme makes for an attractive, visually consistent style, but there is little that really attaches it to the game's mechanisms." - Jeff Pratt
"The theme might be a tad bit dry but still a fun game." - Michael Sannar
"For those that say there is no theme or it is pasted on, i say it is actually pretty damn close to feudal Hawaii." - krechevskoy
"Nice euro gamer game with decent theme given how abstract it really is." - Lapsus
"It is of medium complexity, but the theme might help new players overcome the shock of so many apparent parts." - Osiris Ra

8. One draw-back that does need to be conceded is that set-up at the start of the game and of each round can prove fiddly.
"Good game but pain in the ass to set up. Me and the wife timed us setting it up, it took 5.30mins to set up." - Daniel Wood
"If there's a negative here, it's that setup can be a bit fiddly for the tiles (having a good storage system makes this a non-issue). Also, you have to draw 20+ price tokens each round, and that takes a minute or too. But that's really nit-picking, I don't find it a problem at all." - Steve Duff
"The complaints I have heard about the set-up time or the large amount of between round maintenance are silly. It takes literally two minutes between rounds, tops. It's a smooth process and one I'm glad to endure for the variety it provides to the game." - Jeff Pratt
"Pain in the tail to set up, but a really cool little game." - Chris Freeman Jr
"Only downside is the frustrating set up each round." - Tom P
"There is time-consuming setup before play can start, and packing-up is complicated too." - Ozludo
"If this game were less fiddly with a bit faster setup time, I would rate it even higher." - Jeff Hastings

9. Beautiful components help the visual appeal of the game, and feature high quality production.
"The components and player boards are beautiful." - Chris Freeman Jr
"Really love the theme and visual presentation." - James Torr
"The components are of high quality." - Paul Nomikos
"Gameplay is very interesting and the components are fabulous!" - Jens Hoppe
"Great artwork and the theme really shines through." - Drew Gormley
"Beautiful HIG production. - Paul Lister
"Components are top notch." - Juuso Mattila
"The art and overall production is top notch." - Osiris Ra
"Very nice and beautiful game, with fantastic "feeples"." - Javi Santos

10. All this means that Tom Vasel's public execution is not the last word about Hawaii, and that many gamers have a more positive assessment.
"Hawai is a great game undeservedly murdered by a silly video review." - HavocIsHere
"Tom Vasel proves yet again how out of touch he is with modern eurogames, my wife and I both found Hawaii to be an excellent mid-weight game." - Steve Duff
"Way better than a certain video reviewer would have you believe!! Try for yourself and decide." - Ian Noble
"A cool Euro. Not as bad as Vasel says." - Dave Hamrick
"In spite what other people are saying, this is a great Euro game." - Paul Nomikos
"I avoided this after Tom Vassal's review, but I'm glad I did end up picking it up as it has become one of my favorites." - Mac Blume
"My girlfriend and I loved this game! Don't listen to Tom Vasel." - Todd Baker

11. Overall, Hawaii is just a very solid euro game, and a fine example of a pleasant and challenging medium weight game in the genre.
"A very clean euro, really pretty, plays very well with 2 players." - Jakub Polkowski
"Super debut game from Greg Daigle, with the usual gorgeous Hans im Glück production values, this is a good solid Euro!" - Gary Querns
"Worker placement, random modular board, city building, yeah it has all of those. If you like Stone Age and Puerto Rico you will like Hawaii." - Erik Thompson
"It’s deeper than the average game for families and is much lighter then a strategy game which will take you hours of play, and you have to think about your next move about 10 minutes. This is a nice game for the somewhat experienced gamer. A bit luck, a bit strategy, a lot of possibilities." - Paul & Marieke
"Awesome game. The mechanics, while not groundbreaking, feel fresh, the artwork and theme are awesome, and the 2p game is excellent." - rizkar
"The game's economy is also very interesting, with players having to juggle two different resources to pay for things, as well as markets whose supply and prices both fluctuate from round to round." - Jeff Pratt
"A very fine Eurogame with many interwoven elements, beautiful presentation and lots of viable strategies." - Marc
"Currently the family favourite, a light to mid weight euro with a fun theme that plays in about an hour, we can't get enough of this." - Paul Block

The bottom line: what you need to know

Hawaii may have obtained notoriety after being publicly and brutally murdered by Tom Vasel in his amusing video review. But while Mr Vasel isn't the target audience for this game, many euro gamers who are looking for a very solid medium weight game will find much to like in Hawaii. This is especially the case if you enjoy the worker placement mechanic, which is combined here with a pleasant village building mechanic not seen in many games other than Vikings.

The theme may not be the most compelling, but then again, that's not what draws us to most euro games in the first place. In this case, the theme does still give us a pleasant, playful, thematic and aesthetic backdrop for our pursuit of victory points, a pursuit that gives us freedom to explore multiple ways of point-scoring along a myriad of different paths - and that's what our holiday to Hawaii is really all about in the first place. Combined with a variable set-up, this makes Hawaii a rewarding game to return to, ensuring that the experience doesn't quickly feel the same.

It may not be what everyone is looking for, but for folks in pursuit of a solid medium weight euro with beautiful components and a pleasant enough theme, Hawaii is hard to overlook. There's good reason it was on the Recommended list for the Kennerspiel award! So if you're an enthusiastic eurogamer, then perhaps the time is ripe for you to take a Hawaiian vacation with the help of this game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mb The complete list of Ender's "What you need to know and what people think about..." reviews:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37595
Subscribe to this list to be notified when new reviews are posted.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom has to take a game out and destroy it publicly once in a while to preserve his serious reviewer credentials in the face of overwhelming positivity. He prefers to do it to complex games that don't have dice and little figures.

Since the few games I can call to mind him doing that to (AoS, this, Vasco de Gama) are actually good to great games, it's probably safer to ignore it as a necessary performance art tax on Tom rather than getting upset about it.

Of course, when he decides to take up arms against anyone who might like a game, that's something else.

Something else to keep in mind that you can try Hawaii out in a very nice implementation over at yucata.de.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more Tom Vassal hates a game, the better that game probably is. The more he likes it, the more of a luck fest non thinking game with the complexity of monopoly it is. I find his reviews useful, just not in the way he intends them to be. Throwing this game in the garbage was a huge endorsement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Spleen wrote:
I find his reviews useful, just not in the way he intends them to be.

I'm guessing he intends them to be nothing more than an overview of how the game works, and his own personal opinion - hopefully entertaining.

Have fun with Redneckopoly!
video
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
thepackrat wrote:
Something else to keep in mind that you can try Hawaii out in a very nice implementation over at yucata.de.

Hawaii also has a real-time implementation at Board Game Arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaltyHorse wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

Hawaii also has a real-time implementation at Board Game Arena.

If you are not playing German games on a German site, then you have not truly lived. :)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
The more Tom Vassal hates a game, the better that game probably is. The more he likes it, the more of a luck fest non thinking game with the complexity of monopoly it is. I find his reviews useful, just not in the way he intends them to be. Throwing this game in the garbage was a huge endorsement.

Every now and then he'll say that a terrible game is actually terrible because he doesn't mind burning bridges with some small micropublisher, so I wouldn't say it's even that consistent. For "complex" or "fiddly" or "dry", though, you probably want to read as "Too complex for Tom"

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not here to defend Tom Vasel. All reviews are subjective. Same with Ender's.

That said, defenders of Hawaii jumped all over Tom. But a couple years later, and defenders of Hawaii don't play it much.

Owners of Village, which was released around the same time and has a similar weight, played that game at more than twice the percentage of those who own Hawaii according to BGG numbers.

If Hawaii plays have dropped off that much among owners of the game, can it be said that the game is THAT wonderful?

C'mon. Let's be honest here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edelen wrote:
Owners of Village, which was released around the same time and has a similar weight, played that game at more than twice the percentage of those who own Hawaii according to BGG numbers.

I like your suggestion to compare Hawaii with Village, Dan, because they are both solid euros of similar medium-weight.

Maybe you can share the figures you are using - it would form an interesting point of comparison. Village certainly has the higher ratings/rankings of the two, but a rudimentary comparison of numbers suggests Hawaii players have played it more often per person than Village players:

Hawaii Village
users playing: 1857 4071
total plays: 5531 10473
average plays: 2.98 2.57
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:
I'm not here to defend Tom Vasel. All reviews are subjective. Same with Ender's.

That said, defenders of Hawaii jumped all over Tom. But a couple years later, and defenders of Hawaii don't play it much.

If Hawaii plays have dropped off that much among owners of the game, can it be said that the game is THAT wonderful?

Is there an online implementation of Village absorbing plays (which people tend not to record)?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
thepackrat wrote:
Is there an online implementation of Village absorbing plays (which people tend not to record)?

Not that I know of, but there's another issue. I'd argue Village is more popular than Hawaii, and it attracts more players that are not BGG users and do not record plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Hawaii, but I do recognize it has a number of weaknesses. For one thing, the game takes a bit to set up (unless everyone helps out). Also, if players do not invest in resource producing tiles (fruit, huts, etc.) they can seriously fall behind (a kind of rich get richer problem). And then some folks I have played with feel that not all the gods are created equal. For instance, if on your first turn you get the second side of the god that let's you walk for 1 foot wherever you go, you have a huge advantage. My feeling is that it's easy to pick on even one of these types of criticisms and let it sour your experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to correct my brutal typo ("a minute or too"), I just edited my comment. Can't believe I had that. yuk

I don't believe that there's been any reduction in support of this game by those who liked it. Those of us that liked it still like it and still play it. Reductions in plays is just the normal fading that pretty much every game goes through as new games get released.

But there's no doubt that Vasel's vaudeville routine absolutely killed this game for the general public. Plays were rising nicely, then wham, death blow, 2012-05-15.

The Village comparison is an interesting one. BGG users loved and were playing Hawaii more than Village. Then in the space of one week in May, Village gets an SdJ nomination, and Hawaii gets the Vasel hatchet job. Village soars, Hawaii plummets. Had neither of those two events occurred, Hawaii would be more popular than Village now.

People don't play this great game because they come here, watch that stupid "review", and leave. They probably don't even watch the real review. And that's sad that one man has so much power and sway over the general public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Snider
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:

I've never played Hawaii but I have played Village (once). And I think Tom should have publicly murdered THAT one. Talk about boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
edelen wrote:

I like your suggestion to compare Hawaii with Village, Dan, because they are both solid euros of similar medium-weight.

Maybe you can share the figures you are using - it would form an interesting point of comparison. Village certainly has the higher ratings/rankings of the two, but a rudimentary comparison of numbers suggests Hawaii players have played it more often per person than Village players:

Hawaii Village
users playing: 1857 4071
total plays: 5531 10473
average plays: 2.98 2.57

Ender, you're quoting all-time. I'm quoting now, because the issue is whether Hawaii has staying power. Here are the numbers I considered:
Hawaii Village
users owning: 1901 5932
plays this month: 58 374
potential % of owners who played this month: 3.05 6.30

I won't state that plays this months is a direct correlation to ownership, because it's certain that it's not just owners playing either game, but when compared against each other, they still tell a tale from which we can make some assumptions.

The fact is, plays for Hawaii have dropped off much faster than Village. And yes, we can make statements about Village's expansion, and certainly that might explain some of it. And the fact that Village was a KsdJ winner. Still, the point is there: Hawaii has dropped off in plays compared to Village and there's a reason that we could surmise.

If anything, your figure of total plays vs. plays this month drives this home even further. The drop-off in plays of Hawaii becomes even steeper given that the numbers are similar in your average plays. Hawaii's advantage was on the front end of its release, and not in the present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As pointed out, it's unreasonable to claim that Tom has predictive power based on people who blindly do what he tells them to. That's not what "predictive" means.

Village is a shorter, lighter game, though, which is why it'll typically have a higher baseline number of plays.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is that my gaming World and Tom's are not the same. I still play Hawaii, Vasco da Gama, and the DC deckbuilder all of the time. The Village rarely even shows up in somebody's box on game day. I know I can't even remember the last time Cosmic Encounter made an appearance, but if it did, it would be played at "the other table".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wystan Benbow
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Blazars are a special type of active galaxy that indirectly pay for my boardgame habit
badge
Life is good!
mbmbmbmbmb
Village did just have an expansion released, so that is probably a major factor in the Hawaii play number comparison.

Both games are great....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edelen wrote:
Ender, you're quoting all-time. I'm quoting now, because the issue is whether Hawaii has staying power. Here are the numbers I considered:
Hawaii Village
users owning: 1901 5932
plays this month: 58 374
potential % of owners who played this month: 3.05 6.30

I won't state that plays this months is a direct correlation to ownership, because it's certain that it's not just owners playing either game, but when compared against each other, they still tell a tale from which we can make some assumptions.

I see what you're saying, Dan, but I didn't think that the small sample size of September plays would be reliable enough to generalize from. As others have mentioned, the increased availability of the newly released Village Inn expansion for Village could also account for a spike in its numbers that isn't a true reflection of people wanting to play it more.

Are we able to get the total number of plays for both games over the last 6 months or so? That might give a more reliable indication of whether or not your thesis is correct, and is supported by the statistical data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder what the total number of yucata.de games is. It seems high.

Oh wait, there it is for yucata.de. Pretty flat since it was released almost a year ago, 10k total games so far.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
Counting only plays logged on BGG (and as Bruce notes; that's a tiny fraction of the total that are demonstrably played.)

--Hawaii--
month,plays,mean_owned,mean_rated,plays_per_mean_owned,plays_per_mean_rated
2012-09,372,1228.5,1151.0,0.3028,0.3232
2012-10,309,1320.3,1254.5,0.2340,0.2463
2012-11,210,1401.0,1370.0,0.1499,0.1533
2012-12,199,1481.5,1444.2,0.1343,0.1378
2013-01,207,1554.3,1520.4,0.1332,0.1362
2013-02,179,1609.1,1590.7,0.1112,0.1125
2013-03,155,1658.2,1644.9,0.0935,0.0942
2013-04,119,1712.8,1697.7,0.0695,0.0701
2013-05,159,1758.6,1745.6,0.0904,0.0911
2013-06,113,1804.3,1797.1,0.0626,0.0629
2013-07,125,1834.1,1836.2,0.0682,0.0681
2013-08,113,1857.2,1872.8,0.0608,0.0603

--Village--
month,plays,mean_owned,mean_rated,plays_per_mean_owned,plays_per_mean_rated
2012-09,843,1896.1,1423.3,0.4446,0.5923
2012-10,617,2215.1,1744.9,0.2785,0.3536
2012-11,615,2588.0,2086.0,0.2376,0.2948
2012-12,455,2886.4,2360.1,0.1576,0.1928
2013-01,698,3403.7,2666.8,0.2051,0.2617
2013-02,703,3783.4,2976.6,0.1858,0.2362
2013-03,482,4093.4,3240.7,0.1178,0.1487
2013-04,393,4389.4,3499.2,0.0895,0.1123
2013-05,610,4675.0,3727.4,0.1305,0.1637
2013-06,534,4925.7,3960.3,0.1084,0.1348
2013-07,470,5193.4,4195.8,0.0905,0.1120
2013-08,566,5518.8,4420.2,0.1026,0.1280

"mean_rated" and "mean_owned" are the means of the daily stats snapshots available via XMLAPI for the respective games. (And the game play counts, similarly, are grabbed from the XMLAPI.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Radford
United Kingdom
Lydney
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Sixes again!
badge
A mighty fish-god am I.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review of what looks to be a solid game. It amazes me that anybody pays attention to Vasel's simplistic, superficial reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Sun Jester wrote:
Good review of what looks to be a solid game. It amazes me that anybody pays attention to Vasel's simplistic, superficial reviews.

People are easily impressed by pictures, especially moving ones.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
All right guys, trash on me all you want - I'm obviously a buffoon who knows nothing about games and has some weird power to destroy games.

But making comments about the IQ of those who enjoy videos - not cool, Bruce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
All right guys, trash on me all you want - I'm obviously a buffoon who knows nothing about games and has some weird power to destroy games.

But making comments about the IQ of those who enjoy videos - not cool, Bruce.

IQ? I would never bring a test designed to spot problem with French schoolchildren into a discussion about the value of board game reviews.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.