Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in that quest, what happens with your current ally's abilities (like Raythen's "Sharp Eyes") if he is possessed by the Overlord and you are stuck with the other ally instead?

Common sense seems to dictacte that the new ally starts with no abilities, but it seems extremely unbalanced, removing practically all rewards from 2 previous Hero wins. Furthermore, "Fountain of Insight" is an extremely hard quest to win for the heroes.

Are the heroes supposed to go for "Fury of the Tempest" and "Back from the Dead" in Act I, because you can't lose the rewards from those quests?

The more balanced call would seem to me that if, for example, Raythen had 2 abilities from Act I, if you get stuck with Serena, she gets 2 abilities as well. (Healing Aura Sharp Eyes // Aura of Might Back Strike). Otherwise, that single quest can have more than a effect on the campaign than 2 or 3 entire other quests.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The way it reads to me, any prior Ally Abilities would be lost in this case. However, I disagree that it's an easy thing for the Overlord to do. The heroes go in knowing which Ally they have been using up until that point, and they start much closer than either of the monster groups do in Encounter 1. They should easily be able to block any monsters from getting to the objective tokens on turn 1, giving them enough time to reveal the remedy and use it on turn 2.

Winning the quest as a whole may be difficult for the heroes, but I can't imagine a group of heroes trying and failing to save their chosen ally from being possessed, barring extreme bad luck.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't go and change that about the quest, because that seems to be a sort of unwritten reward for the OL. He risks letting the ally become even more powerful by playing that quest, so he should get a better reward than just 1 additional XP if he can manage to possess the right Ally.

DOUBLE EDIT: The analysis above about the ease of blocking monsters only applies to a four-hero game. It would be admittedly more difficult in a two- or three-hero game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.