Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb

Gonna have lots of sleepless nights doing one of the following:

d10-1 Punching out the counters
d10-2 Sorting out the counters
d10-3 Laying out the pieces for the Global War Campaign scenario
d10-4 Reading the rulebook again
d10-5 Completing a play of the Global War Campaign scenario
d10-6 Re-laying out the pieces for the Global War Campaign scenario after realizing that I had made a ton of rule mistakes in the previous game
d10-7 Rinse and repeat points 4-6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased this game but don't ever see myself ever playing it or even punching the counters. Same with World in Flames Final Edition (WIFFE).
Waaaaay too complex for me. arguably one of the most complex wargames there is if not the most. The size of the rulebook alone is daunting. plus the additional booklets.
I'm glad I do own both games though. Just looking at the components and imagining maybe one day....

Good luck to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jump in. Try the north Africa scenario. Then maybe barbarossa. These avoid the naval rules that are about half (if not more) of the rules; if not complexity. If you've played 3R/A3R you already know about 65% of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
grumblesa10 wrote:
Jump in. Try the north Africa scenario. Then maybe barbarossa. These avoid the naval rules that are about half (if not more) of the rules; if not complexity. If you've played 3R/A3R you already know about 65% of the rules.

This is how I learned, and it works well.

The North Africa scenario only uses the core rules (movement, offensives, combat, etc). The Scenario tells you what rules to read (Supply being the most difficult, but most of that section won't be used).

The approach that worked best for me:

1. Read the rules pertaining to North Africa scenario twice
2. Play NA scenario, you can reference the turn sequence and charts, but don't go into the rulebook. Just do the best you can from what you remember + charts/turn sequence
3. Reread rules
4. Play NA scenario again
5. Move on to Barbarossa, repeating steps 1-4.

I think the key is not diving back into the rules in step 2. No one is going to memorize 200 pages of rules and get them 100% right. Just play the game the best you can.

I found that I was getting more things right then I thought at the time. The charts and sequence of play really help.

The jump from Barbarossa to the Historical Campaign is a large leap. The naval rules are brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I decided to give the Global War campaign a go to see the game in its entirety, so I spent the last two days setting up the scenario and am now midway through the Fall 1939 Axis turn for my solo introductory run.

To ease myself into the mechanics, I would deliberately go slow on the different activities (e.g. concentrating on unit movement and ground combat during the first few turns, before trying out naval and air combat in subsequent ones).

My initial thoughts are that a summary which clearly lists the steps during the setup process is sorely needed, e.g. assemble forces based on force pool charts, allocate initial number of airbase counters to major powers, place one airbase counter per major power in each theater except US and Britain (Pacific) etc. I missed the last two steps listed during setup but managed to correct those before starting the Axis player turn.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to going back to it next weekend. It's a monster of a game indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck!! Keep us up to date!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.