Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Bornschein
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

since there is no direct 2 player question in the forum and I just asked between some existing threads, I would like to aks it directly: how well playable is the game with 2 players?
I have read several reviews, one says 2-3 player is perfect because 4+ player would extend the game some kind...Would do you think?

Best
-Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Ham does some nice reviews of games from a two player perspective.
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/31527/the-manhattan-project/r...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bornschein
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, I didn't know him but he does a good job in reviewing. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game with two, it changes dynamics a bit but is still wonderful.
In a three or four player game its kinda heavier on the interactive side, the use of the espionage and air strikes are more pronounced to kinda dog pile the leader. Not to say these aspects are not as useful in the two player game its just more of best built engine will win.
It's realy a great game in all its player counts but for me I think it shines as a two player game. Also once the players know the game a two player game can be like 45 minutes long ,so that quick play is a bonus in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game plays GREAT with 2 and scales well. I'd never turn down a game of 2 and it moves fast! Done in less than 60 min usually.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bornschein
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is ordered and on its way. Looking forward to it. Thank you all for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bornschein
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally the game arrived.
As the video above states, air crafts shouldn't be used in a 2 player game. Since I'm about to prepare the first game, anyone who would agree with that or wouldn't?

-Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are fine to use in a 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kopernikus wrote:
Finally the game arrived.
As the video above states, air crafts shouldn't be used in a 2 player game. Since I'm about to prepare the first game, anyone who would agree with that or wouldn't?

-Nick

It really depends, if one of the players gets the 3 fighters and 3$ factory it can get really unbalanced. He can then just buy some bombers and make sure you have to keep repairing for the rest of the game.

You should probably just try it out without any houserules and houserule it as you wish after the first play or so. I've only played this game two player once, and that building just took me out completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If one of the players gets the 3F+$3 building (or any building besides the starters for that matter) in a 2-player game, then that player only got it because the other player let him have it.

If both players agree that 3F+$3 is supremely powerful, when the building pops up in the $20 space, the following would happen:

* Both players will stop buying buildings
* Both players will race to accumulate $20
* One player will buy the 3F+$3 building for $20
* The other player will keep his $20, and/or whatever else he managed to do in that time, as compensation.

The compensation that the other player got for NOT taking the 3F+$3 will be very powerful, too. (I think more powerful).

... plus once your opponent went broke getting that building and you've stocked up on planes and money, just Air Strike it right away devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schmanthony wrote:
The compensation that the other player got for NOT taking the 3F+$3 will be very powerful, too. (I think more powerful).

It depends when this happens and what the context is at that particular moment.

I bow before the wisdom of the designer. My advice is to give it a try with it enabled anyway, and then just judge for yourself.

P.S.: Brandon Tibbetts, you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for making such an awesome game. Good luck in your future endeavors and thanks from the bottom of my heart for the enjoyment this brings to the table every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
fantastic game Brandon, but in the 2 player game against a nation that has fighter or bomber build option, there is no way to bomb that power, and with Japan or America, the opponent has no home. What are your thoughts on the aggressive nations in a 2 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.