Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
warren maruschak
Canada
winnipeg
manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the first turn each player usually buys one license and launches a boat and possibly a captain which uses up 5-6 of the 6 card opening hand so for the next three turns no one buys any licenses because they have no cards to pay for them and are lucky to launch more boats if they get lucky and draw a boat that they can launch so the next X amount of licenses are removed from the game because no one can afford them and when no one buys a license during the auction they are all removed from the game and we end up with players have at most 3-4 licenses during the game because of the lack of money to afford to buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't launch boats in the first few turns because it costs a lot (min. 3 cards) and you reach the 4 fish limit soon, so early boots are usually worthless. (You get the license benefits even without boats (except cod and lobster))
Never spend all of your money, because it is relatively easy to stuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is unusual for no one to buy a license 2nd round using the standard set up.

As an example, if you pay $5 for a shrimp license.
Pay wit your tuna and pv. launch a free shrimp boat, captain with KC. That leaves you cod, lobster and a draw. You will have atleast $4 + shrimp bonus,likely $5 + bonus.

If you pay $6 for a processing vessel. Pay with your Tuna,Shrimp, cod.
If you launch, pay with lobster, cAptain with KC. Process trade and draw gets you back to two cards. I would say DONT launch a boat if you paid $6 for a license round 1, but you can risk it especially if there are $4 licenses.

I would like others takes too, usually I wait to respond but I am still ramping up at work this morning

The take aways are don't overspend in the first auction and you don't always have to launch a boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Marx
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:
Don't launch boats in the first few turns because it costs a lot (min. 3 cards) and you reach the 4 fish limit soon, so early boots are usually worthless. (You get the license benefits even without boats (except cod and lobster))
Never spend all of your money, because it is relatively easy to stuck.

This. Unless you have a very compelling reason to do so (Processing Vessel, maybe Cod or Lobster depending on what's on the auction block) there is no reason to launch boats in the first round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
warren maruschak
Canada
winnipeg
manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played where no one has bought a boat on the first turn and on turns 2 and 3 no one could afford to buy a second license.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mindphaser1 wrote:
I've played where no one has bought a boat on the first turn and on turns 2 and 3 no one could afford to buy a second license.

Are players bidding nearly their entire hand on the first license? I have no idea how you could even attempt to be broke after the first turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends.

If you get a Shrimp licenses, you can launch a shrimp boat for free.

If you get a Cod and you launch you get a bonus card that you can captain with.

If you get a Lobster (i think it's lobster) you get an extra card if you can get a captained boat down.

If you get a processing vessel license you can't process if you don't have a captained boat.

So, yea, a lot of times in round two you might not buy a license. I can see no launching if you get a Shrimp licenses since you now get a discount towards your next license. Perhaps you can get a Tuna on the next round giving you an extra card every round starting right off the bat.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you launch a boat turn 1 if you didn't have a lobster or processing vessel licence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.