John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologise if this has already been mentioned or discussed. I searched but couldn't find a topic for it.

I was wondering how the game will remain balanced as stronger cards enter the pool. Once all six adventure packs are out, there will (presumably) be highly powered monsters/loot/whatever available. If a location requires two monsters for instance, they could as easily be two really tough ones as two really easy ones, regardless of what "level" the party are.

I'm not complaining (yet! laugh) but I'm hoping there's already a solution in mind for this. Should you only mix in cards from the adventure pack that they're playing against? Will the cards have some balancing built in (I've seen several that add the adventure level to the check)? Maybe we don't know yet?

Or will it be a case of "that was a tough deal, just shuffle up and try again" if you face an impossible challenge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Nekvasil
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You add the new cards in the deck in box in the moment you enter the adventure in question. So If you are in adventure 1 you only play with cards marked B or 1 ( + P - promo and C - add on) etc. As you progress you slowly remove cards which are weak (starting adventure 3 you will continuously remove B cards from game when banished etc.). So the balance is ensured by design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the Adventure Path Card for Rise Of The Runelords.

As you continue on, you will remove easier cards.

If you want to start characters after having several adventure decks in, you will have to remove the newer ones to tone it back down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers guys.

So if I'm just starting adventure 3, I just use 1-3,B,C,P etc even if 4-6 are also available. And I spotted the mechanic that removes banished under-leveled cards from circulation permanently but wasn't sure how much that would really concentrate the supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the "early" banes are tough to deal with - the giants, for example. It might be a while before everyone in the party can easily handle such a monster. And some of the early banes scale too - adding the current adventure pack number means that they remain something of a threat (though if a character devotes themselves to combat they can probably pick up around +2 or even +3 over the course of an adventure pack).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurdt57 wrote:
[...]As you progress you slowly remove cards which are weak (starting adventure 3 you will continuously remove B cards from game when banished etc.). So the balance is ensured by design.
And again, some misguided soul gets confused on BASIC and BASE and gives invalid advice.

Please keep in mind that the B on the card states that it is a card from the BASE set. It is a card that came with the main box of PACG:RotR. The Loot in the Adventure 1 deck is also mislabeled B instead of 1. If there's a C, it's from the Character Add-On Deck. If there's a P, it's a Promo card, and if there's a 1, it's from Adventure deck 1.

When you start removing cards per the adventure path information, you DO NOT REMOVE CARDS JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE FROM THE BASE SET. You begin removing cards with the BASIC trait. The traits are found on the left side of the card by the picture. The two are unrelated in respect to when you begin removing cards from the game.

Please do not get confused about (B)ASE and BASIC, or you're going to have a serious card distribution issue when you get to the point where you start removing cards from the game, considering 385 of the 825 available cards by AP3 are from the BASE set. You'd really get confused when it's time to start removing Elite cards from the game, as there are no cards labeled with an E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.