United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Melee combat (Fire order with attacking unit in the same hex as a Defending unit), after the Attacker rolls his attack dice roll on the melee combat table against the unit that the Defender chose has the Attacker's target, the Defender may then may fire with 1 unit of his choice at the Attacking unit which just fired.

Is the Defender allowed to make a Return Fire attack with a unit that is outside of the Melee combat hex?

If so, are all units (of both sides in a 'Melee hex') attacked as per the fire combat rules that have all units in a hex roll defensively against Fire attacks from units in other hexes?

--

Assuming you have units of both sides in the same hex (a 'Melee hex' that has units in an ongoing 'Melee' situation), may units from either side (depending on who has the Initiative and makes the Fire attack against this hex, followed by any Reaction Fire against this hex), do all units, both German & Soviet, make their defensive dice rolls against Fire attacks from outside their 'Melee hex'?

--

Apologies for the verbosity, repetition, and if I missed the answers already posted elsewhere here - I did try to find them by reading through the 'Rules' posts. Thanks!

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
[edit] Yes to all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has me very confused.
Could you please restate each point more clearly.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:
This has me very confused.
Could you please restate each point more clearly.
Thanks

No problem, will do this when I have a free moment (currently being bombarded with work).

Whenever either side uses the Fire order and has a unit fire into a given 'Melee hex' (one where both sides have units in the [same] hex), then all units (of both sides) are affected by successful Fire attacks (those where the Attacker avoided rolling the Hindrance number for the Defender's hex / LOS path of the firing unit, with either of his 2 Attacking dice), then all units in this 'Melee hex' must make a 'Defensive' dice roll with 2d10, add this to their Morale / Armor number (depending on their unit type and the type of Fire attack [HE or AP] directed against the 'Melee hex', plus any Terrain modifiers [not all are favorable to the Defender / hex occupier - see the '-1 drm' for Clear terrain], and then follow the resolution procedures for Fire attacks after comparing the 'Attack dice' to the 'Defender's dice' per the rules (34.0 'Fire').

Same applies for any 'Return Fire' directed against available & targeted 'Melee hex(es)'.

Same applies for any Barrage attacks via Asset orders directed against available & targeted 'Melee hex(es)'.

The only exception is Fire attacks that originate in the 'Melee hex(es)', which affect only 1 Defending unit, and only the 1 selected by the Defender as the target unit for this Melee fire attack, using the 'Melee Combat fire table'. The Defender here, if he has units available and eligible within the same 'Melee hex' to fire (back), may Return Fire with them, wherein the roles are switched (Attacker becomes 'defender', selects his 'Melee target unit', and then this unit rolls on the 'Melee Combat' table. Only 1 unit, per side, is affected by 'Melee' Fire attacks and 'Melee' Return Fire attacks, and not all of the units (of both sides) that are located in the given 'Melee hex'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the clarification.
Question: why would someone fire into a melee hex where his own units are vulnerable to the attack ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
radsailor wrote:
thanks for the clarification.
Question: why would someone fire into a melee hex where his own units are vulnerable to the attack ?

The most obvious reason would be that they decided that the expected benefit of hitting some enemy unit(s) in the hex is more than the expected damage to some friendly unit(s). Playing a wargame, one often risks one's own units for "the greater good", after all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So sometimes someone has to take a hit for the team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken McGechaen
United Kingdom
ILKLEY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also consider asituation which arose in scenario 3, where a German grenadier platoon melee'd a Russian AT gun in a bunker. The latter could claim cover from incoming friendly fire, whilst the hapless German infantry were in effectly hosed off the bunker complex by a Maxim platoon 4 hexes away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.