Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I am going to be ordering The Enchanted Tower from Amazon.de.
I have been considering adding Palaces to that order but I was not sure if this game would work well in a family setting.
(I was also considering getting Firenze which seems more family friendly but I'm not sure.)

My son is 11 and my oldest daughter is 8.

Some of the games we all play are Stone Age, Kingsburg, 7 Wonders, Agricola All Creatures, Summoner Wars and Eminent Domain.

Thank you for sharing any thoughts/advice you may have,
Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Would you recommend The Palaces of Carrara as a family game?
I highly recommend this game as a family game. It has two levels of play, a basic game and an advanced version are included. There is not a major jump between the two levels of play, but it is helpful to scale the game. The game is beautiful, elegant and fun. It plays within a reasonable time. I see it in the same category as Stone Age and Fresco. I have played it with my daughter when she was 9 and she played competitively, of course she is a gamer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently ordered the game. When it arrives, which is very soon, I am going to "MAKE" my family play it, therefore it will be a family game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie (Juju) B.
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tried the game for the first time today. I think this can definitely be played as a family game. From the list of games your children play, I would imagine they would pick up on this game with no problem. In fact, I found it to be easier than half of the games on your list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy 7 Wonders then I think you will enjoy Palaces. Acquire resources, choose (and adapt) your strategy, total up your VP's.

The advanced game cards in the expansion add to the strategic choices in much the same way that Leaders and Cities adds to 7 Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst I love Palaces of Carrara I would not play it with the family. It is rather dry and I think that many children (mine certainly) would find it a little dull. Stone Age has the 'fun' factor of the dice throws: how many resources will I get? can I feed the family etc? 7 Wonders meanwhile has the excitement of what cards will you be passed this time on your turn. This creates excitement and tension. "Palaces" meanwhile is a lot more calculating and play is rather solitary. I have found many adults love it but not children. My 4 children range from 11 to 19. For reference their gaming preferences are for the likes of 7 Wonders, Dominion & Ticket To Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
duckworp wrote:
My 4 children range from 11 to 19.

Either you've aged extremely well, or you started very early, sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kovatch
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckworp wrote:
Whilst I love Palaces of Carrara I would not play it with the family. It is rather dry and I think that many children (mine certainly) would find it a little dull.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. I brought it out for the first time tonight and my 12-year-old gave up on it after we made a mistake on the first turn and started over. But, my wife and I played it out and really enjoyed it, which is saying something as my wife is nowhere near an enthusiastic gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Again I just wanted to give a quick update on my decision.
I ended up ordering The Palaces of Carrara on Amazon.de.
We just got the game this weekend, but we have already gotten 2 plays in.

My initial impression is that I made the right choice, this is a game my older daughter can play and do well.
The game is really easy to teach, I explained the basic turn actions you could take and then started playing. As certain scenarios came up I explained the rules/scoring.

We all really enjoy playing the game, my wife played tonight and had fun. She is definitely a Eurogamer at heart, actually I think everyone in my family leans in that direction. Although my kids and I still enjoy some thematic games.

In some ways this game puts me in the same mental state as Finca.
So far I have found it kind of relaxing to play this game.
My initial ranking would be a solid 8, but this will likely change after more plays. I am curious to see where it fits in among the other Euros we own.

The game board graphics are okay, all the wooden pieces are beautiful as are the player screens.
My only complaint is that the box is super thin and came somewhat crushed. Amazon.de basically threw it in a box with a few pieces of crumpled up kraft paper. I am a bit OCD so I am not happy, but I don;t think there will be an English printing any time soon so it was worth it.

Cheers, hope this may help someone else!
Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Papa Ninja wrote:
Hi all,

Again I just wanted to give a quick update on my decision.
I ended up ordering The Palaces of Carrara on Amazon.de.
We just got the game this weekend, but we have already gotten 2 plays in.

My initial impression is that I made the right choice, this is a game my older daughter can play and do well.
The game is really easy to teach, I explained the basic turn actions you could take and then started playing. As certain scenarios came up I explained the rules/scoring.

We all really enjoy playing the game, my wife played tonight and had fun. She is definitely a Eurogamer at heart, actually I think everyone in my family leans in that direction. Although my kids and I still enjoy some thematic games.

In some ways this game puts me in the same mental state as Finca.
So far I have found it kind of relaxing to play this game.
My initial ranking would be a solid 8, but this will likely change after more plays. I am curious to see where it fits in among the other Euros we own.

The game board graphics are okay, all the wooden pieces are beautiful as are the player screens.
My only complaint is that the box is super thin and came somewhat crushed. Amazon.de basically threw it in a box with a few pieces of crumpled up kraft paper. I am a bit OCD so I am not happy, but I don;t think there will be an English printing any time soon so it was worth it.

Cheers, hope this may help someone else!
Will

Glad to hear it! My family continues to enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.