Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Why would the Mage advance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new at this and only played apprentice mode twice (with two different people).

The second time, my opponent (who I was hoping was going to love the game and become a frequent duelling companion) dismissed the game and said "Why would the Mage ever advance? It's better to sit back and keep summoning/casting. If you move you lose a (slow cast) summon so you're then going to be behind in the arms race. It's also going to be better to hang back so you don't get damaged."

I didn't know enough about the game to give him a good answer and now I fear he'll never want to play again.

In the full game I know there are zone-exclusives which might be able to tempt him to move so he can 'build' them in a new zone. But is this how I should expect games to play out in future?

Both Mages hanging back and summoning (all) their creatures before then (perhaps) finally advancing?

Or is there a reason why this is a terrible strategy and it's better to be more aggressive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play against a Priestess, Wizard or Warlord and stay in your corner (=not putting pressure on your opponent) you will lose the game in most cases once they have established their temple/mana-denial/Outpost-Strategies.

Next time your friend sits in his corner and casts mana crystals etc, run to him, cast the Big Fire Demon, next turn Bear strength and teleport/force push the demon into his corner. After this experience he will think twice about sitting in the back...

So far, hyper-aggro strategies are more successfull than turtling (and easier to pull off).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember apprentice mode is VERY vanilla, and really not neccessary to play at all. If you and your friend have experience with games then playing a full game isn't going to be much different.

It just depends on what your book is trying to accomplish. If it's a creature heavy deck then sure, staying back is viable. But some mages, the Warlock for example, can build a book with heavy equipment and turn into a beat stick that wants to charge you. Also, if my oppenent is just gonna hang out in his zone and summon, I'm moving up and getting within range of some fireballs or boulders and he will be dead soon enough if he stand there.

Bottom line, you can't form a good opinion playing apprentice mode, building spellbooks and playing different strategies is all part of the fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo the concerns about the Apprentice decks. They're good for learning but they lack a serious amount of punch. I usually abandon teaching games with these decks as there comes a time when you just run out of steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the full game the mages play quite differently with some actually being quite effective at dealing damage themselves, or even healing creatures etc. given most spells have limited range, sitting back inyourcorner will basically mean you are not utilising your mages abilities or spell book very well.

Of course some mages are best hiding n the corner, they had just better hope they don't get boxed in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some mages win without even summoning creatures. You can just equip a mage with a lot of armor and heavy weaponry and charge in and attack and hurl damage spells and you can drop your foe without the aid of any minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, guys!

With reference to the range issues - I think his point was: if the fight comes to you then you're going to have range, if it doesn't come to you then you're going to have a bigger army if you don't move (much).

Still, I look forward to convincing either him or my wife to give this another run out soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Guytan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Beastmaster's Quick Summon ability will easily overwhelm a turtling mage. A single Attack spell is not likely to kill a creature unless it is very weak. Also, a Poison Gas Cloud will keep him from sitting in a corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being stuck in a corner is actually quite bad because you are more likely to get cornered (imagine that), allowing some very powerful Slow creatures or Full Attacks to hit you.

In Mage Wars you have to balance playing for the long game (summoning, enchantments, mana spells, equipment spells) and the short game (attack spells, most incantations, just summoning one expensive, powerful creature). If your opponent is completely focussed on the long game, you can play for the short game and kill him before he is able to reap the rewards of his investments.

A key aspect of the game is the Planning phase where you choose your two spells for the turn. If you can correctly predict what your opponent will do, you are actually one step ahead and all else being equal will have an advantage. Being predictable by always hanging back summoning every turn should allow your opponent to more effectively use walls, traps, slow creatures and other zoning spells to trap and kill you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Divine Intervention. I'm just saying.

Caused many a new player to change his diapers . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

You can be summoning BIGs in your opponent's Corner as early as Turn 2 (force-push(self) and teleport), this BIG will attack on Turn 3 (great if you have initiative).

If your opponent opened with two Engine(s)*, you may have already won the game. Keep your foot on the gas.

(* Engines = Spawnpoints, Mana Generators, NPC Casters, Pestilence)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.