Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had some issues playing Scout at the end game, and the Rules are silent.

It was a rare type game, and it came down to just 1 slot left open on my side. There were no more tactics cards in the draw pile, and just one (1) Troop card left. If I played a Troop Card, I would lose. Tactics cards applicable are either played, or can't be played on the flag.

But I can play the Scout Card to avoid placing a Troop Card.

What happens?

There is only 1 card left to draw (not 3). Do I still put two cards back? Do I draw one and return none?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Williams
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that you keep the card you draw. The scout card is intended to replace itself. Same thing if there are only two cards left and you draw two: keep one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CatpissWilly wrote:
I would say that you keep the card you draw. The scout card is intended to replace itself. Same thing if there are only two cards left and you draw two: keep one of them.

This would also be how I would have played it if the situation came up. Interesting position to be in, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
Holy cow, sounds like that was a weird game.

Assuming the "When both decks run out, no further cards can be drawn, but play continues" bit at the top of p. 2 is a rule, not just an observation, then an exceedingly literal interpretation is, you draw the one remaining Troop card; then, you put two cards from your hand back into the draw decks (leaving you with 5 in hand); then, because both decks ran out, you can't draw back up to 7 (even though there are cards in the decks now), and play passes to your opponent, who also cannot draw either of the cards.

That seems pretty weird, though; the "discard your hand down to 7" interpretation from this thread from 2006 seems simpler and more in line with the intent of the rules, which (the way I read it) is that you normally end with 7 cards in hand after playing Scout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.