Subject: Arkham Horror PBF 38: Mummy! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anna B.
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is BGG Play by Forum Arkham Horror game number 38. This intro post has been shamelessly plagarised from intro posts made by Duke of Earl and BrokenMnemonic.

Sorry, this is invite-only. If you wish to participate in one of these games there is a waiting list here: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/AH_PBF

Geeklist for this game can be found here TBA: [geeklist= ]Arkham Horror PBF 38: Mummy![/geeklist]

Post Typography
* Normal text for discussions, etc.
* Italics for flavor text/fluff. This is optional, but encouraged.
* Bold for in-game moves and actions.

Images
Please use images in your post to identify your character when you post. It helps people keep track of who everyone is. You can find some banners in this geeklist. Doing this helps me avoid being confused. Please don't confuse the man person with access to a bag full of Shoggoths.

Subscribe to the thread!
I will usually refer to everyone by their character name. For the sake of game speed, COs (Conditional Orders) are a great way to keep things moving along unless you check in frequently.

Game Type
This will be a 6-player game using the following expansions:
Base + Curse of the Dark Pharaoh (original) + at least some elements from all of Dunwich (Injury and Madness cards springs to mind), possibly the whole board. But I'd like to use the Visiting Exhibit variant, if the players don't mind. (Some of you may have played with this enough to want more variety, so there will be a vote.)

Character Choice
Every player receives 3 investigators (2 Base + 1 from Dunwich), of which he or she chooses one to play as.

Invites will go out sometime today to:
mummson - no reply
asta - IN - 1d100 = (53) = 53
ShawnI - IN - 1d100 = (55) = 55
Marlowespade - respectfully declines due to current time issues
goodshepherd - IN - 1d100 = (65) = 65
inquisitorgoody - IN - 1d100 = (2) = 2
scdoster - IN - 1d100 = (12) = 12
brunoreturns - Invited 28/9 - 1d100 = (76) = 76

Character Sheets
Character sheets aren't mandatory, but are very helpful for me, because I'm easily confused and it helps to have a sanity check (no pun intended) on what's going on with each character.

I use this one when I'm playing in games:

Current Sanity: , Current Stamina , Focus: 2

Speed: 1 2 3 4 Fight: 1 2 3 4 Lore: 1 2 3 4
Sneak: 4 3 2 1 Will: 4 3 2 1 Luck: 4 3 2 1

$5 –   mb mb - Unique, Unique, Common, Common, Skill, Ally

Tropies: (0 Toughness)
Gate: (0)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 437731. annab
  • 1d100 =
  • (53) =
  • Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:25 pm
  • [+]
  • 437732. annab
  • 1d100 =
  • (55) =
  • Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:26 pm
  • [+]
  • 437733. annab
  • 1d100 =
  • (65) =
  • [+]
  • 437734. annab
  • 1d100 =
  • (2) =
  • [+]
  • 437735. annab
  • 1d100 =
  • (12) =
  • [+]
  • 437736. annab
  • 1d100 =
  • (76) =
  • Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:29 pm
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the invite, I'm in. I like all elements of DH and have no preference as to whether CoTDP is a visiting or Permanent exhibition.

I'm Looking forward to playing on here again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the invite - I'll be in.

I also like everything in DH, and I'm fine either way with visiting or permanent exhibition, though I have a slight preference for visiting since it means the CotDP cards will come out more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious why you're skipping over several people in the waiting list that you indicate people need to sign up to play...? Thought maybe it was the expansion choices, but that isn't consistent between the invitees.

edit: Nevermind... reading ALL the words of your post helped (original CotDP). Nothing to see here, move along!

(and good luck to the investigators!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I'm in.

All in for Dunwich, and no preference for CotDP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What wonderful news... I will be glad to partake of these proceedings. I also agree with what everyone's posted so far... (full Dunwich, any version of the Exhibit)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna B.
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Marlowespade declines due to current time issues. Invite has gone out to the next person on the list, scdoster. Also waiting on a reply from mummson.

So, another day or so before we can start.

To those of you who have already replied - Hi! Hopefully you'll have a fun game, and I'll try to keep it moving as much as possible. I can only do board updates at home though, so there may be some slight delays due to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in - although I am a newbie, so please forgive any mistakes I might make.

Also, something I need to mention: I sleep days because I work nights. If this is going to be a problem, please let me know and I will make step out and make room in the game for someone else.

One other thing I should mention - I have only ever played with the revised CotDP, so if I err when playing someone please point it out to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna B.
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again.

A reminder has gone out to the last person to check in. So, one more day, then I'll go to the next person on the waiting list. I expect this game to get going over the weekend (which gives me time to do boards and stuff).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
War.... War never changes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in. Thanks for the invite!

I'll have to brush up on rules for CotDP, but everything else should be fine.

This will be my first AH forum game, so bear with me a bit in the early stages.

What was the d100 roll for in the opening post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna B.
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still no reply from the last person, so I've sent out an invite to the next person on the list. While we wait, let's get this puppy on the road mummy walking!

Player order, according to rolls I've made up in the starting post:
inquisitorgoody - starting First player
scdoster
asta
ShawnI
goodshepherd
brunoreturns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna B.
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brunoreturns wrote:
I am in. Thanks for the invite!

I'll have to brush up on rules for CotDP, but everything else should be fine.

This will be my first AH forum game, so bear with me a bit in the early stages.

What was the d100 roll for in the opening post?

Wow - that was FAST! thumbsup

The roll was for player order, you'll get your choice of investigators in a sec. Brb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna B.
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to pick a character!

Also, if you draw a spell - please note which deck you wish to draw from, AH/DH or CotDP.

inquisitorgoody, you have a choice of:

scdoster:

asta:

ShawnI:

goodshepherd:

brunoreturns:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"It doesn't add up."

Mandy Thompson, academic researcher at the Miskatonic University, pushed another musty tome aside. This would be the seventh tome that she read that has given nothing more than scenes of tragedy and misfortune in a worldwide scale. Her current field of research is Ancient History, and when civilizations of yore write about the entire world coming to an end, it starts to get really nerve-wracking.

However, the problem is not just simply one of people telling stories of gloom and doom as the world around them comes crashing down... it is when they tell the exact same story of an
ancient evil that it starts to feel like a prank.

"Yes, it must be an elaborate prank," Mandy muttered under her breath, as she looked at each tome once more. All of them were compilations of ancient writings, so it is possible someone had the time to make forgeries, then age the papers, then write the supporting text in the tongue and style of seven different authors, while making it fit the context of seven different civilizations...

No, Mandy digressed, that would take too much time. It also would take more manpower and resources than the entire university could afford. While she's heard of some people who were eccentric to the point of insanity, she doubted that they would've survived the scrutiny to be anywhere near the Miskatonic.

What is the simplest way to explain this? Mandy thought to herself. Answering this question would finally give her some closure over this stressful week. Perhaps it is coincidence that all writers seem to have the same fevered vision? Perhaps what she is reading isn't history, but some sort of early science fiction, with whatever science and technology they had then being the level of science fact they know of. Hmm, fiction...

What other literary types are there? Mandy listed them down in her head. Drama, comedy, tragedy, epics... they're all types of fiction. How about non-fiction types? There's history, law, culture, religious texts... religious texts? A strange thought borne in a single word crossed Mandy's mind, one that fits the bill of a non-fiction text that is written to sound like history: PROPHECY.

"It adds up," Mandy remarked as she felt a chill run up her spine. She crossed her arms and pulled them towards her chest as she instinctively tried to warm herself. "For all these to be a prophecy of this thing to come, then it hasn't happened yet, and the signs would start being fulfilled one by one..."

Mandy's thoughts trailed as she noticed the color change behind her. A red light shone through the window. Looking out, Mandy noticed that the night sky, moments ago brightly lit by a full moon, has now been stained red.

That was the first of many signs she's read in all seven tomes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Be cool, Daddy-O!

Sure, the world's coming to an end, but it ain't nothing to get all worked up about. Let me lay some sweet rhythm on you child, and you'll start seeing things my way.

What's that? Oh, don't mind him. This sound is so sweet, even dead people got to get up and move. Long as I keep playin' you got nothing to worry about.

Just, ya know, don't get too close, 'cause that funk ain't coming outta this here horn.

Speed: 1 2 3 4 Fight: 0 1 2 3 Lore: 1 2 3 4
Sneak: 3 2 1 0 Will: 5 4 3 2 Luck: 5 4 3 2

$3 –   mb mb mb - Golden Trumpet, Common, Spell (CotDP), Spell (Regular), Skill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb

Rita stared back at the sherif."So you aren't going to help me?"
He closed the book on the desk and looked up - raised eyebrows - palms out. "very little I can do"
She sighed, stood up and left. The shadows moved as she exited, the sherif simply lent back in his chair.

Speed: 3 4 5 6 Fight: 2 3 4 5 Lore: 0 1 2 3
Sneak: 4 3 2 1 Will: 4 3 2 1 Luck: 3 2 1 0

$4 –   mb mb - Warding Statue, Lantern, Newspaper assignment, Luck, Retainer

Awaiting Random draw of cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll choose

As I've not used him before. I'll set sliders and write some flavour text when I get to my computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Will be my choice... Afraid I can't do a full write up until later this week, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Current Sanity: 6, Current Stamina 4, Focus: 2

Please set sliders to S/S 3/2; F/W 2/3; L/L 3/2

Marie begins the game with $4, 2 Clue Tokens, the Enchanted Knife, and the Voice of Ra spell. She also receives 2 random spells and 1 skill.

"Grandmere, why here in this godforsaken city of all places? Why would you move here?" Marie sighed as she paced the floor of her room in the old boarding house, wishing her grandmother was able to answer. No help for it, she must find the answer of the mystery to why her grandmother chose Arkham to live out her last days. Did her grandmother's knife hold any clues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scdoster wrote:
Not sure how everyone is posting images, but I am in as Marie Lambeau. If someone will tell me how to insert the image ID, I will gladly do so!

Check out the OP

Quote:
Images
Please use images in your post to identify your character when you post. It helps people keep track of who everyone is. You can find some banners in this geeklist. Doing this helps me avoid being confused. Please don't confuse the man person with access to a bag full of Shoggoths.

The character sheet template is at the bottom of the OP. You will need to quote it to be able to copy it out to a pastebin or document that you will likely want to keep track of yourself (there is a lot of coding in that character sheet, you don't want to retype it every time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna B.
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scdoster wrote:
Not sure how everyone is posting images, but I am in as Marie Lambeau. If someone will tell me how to insert the image ID, I will gladly do so!

Marie begins the game with $4, 2 Clue Tokens, the Enchanted Knife, and the Voice of Ra spell. She also receives 2 random spells and 1 skill.

If you post [ ImageId=772709 medium ] without the spaces you get:

(If you click "QuickQuote" on a post you'll see the code whilst still seeing what it does.)
If you use "small" or "large" instead of "medium" you change the size of the image.

Also, Marie draws 2 spells. Do you want them from the AH/DH deck, the CutDP deck or one from each?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help, Jeremy. I thought the insertion links for the images were in the drop down menu along with everything else, so I did not look any further when I could not find them in the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
annab wrote:
scdoster wrote:

If you post [ ImageId=772709 medium ] without the spaces you get:

(If you click "QuickQuote" on a post you'll see the code whilst still seeing what it does.)
If you use "small" or "large" instead of "medium" you change the size of the image.

Also, Marie draws 2 spells. Do you want them from the AH/DH deck, the CutDP deck or one from each?

One from each, please. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna B.
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Almost there...

Darrell Simmons starts with a Knife, The Light of Reason, Healing Stone, the skill to Spot Hidden and a Retainer.

Marie Lambeau starts with an Sword of Glory Enchanted Knife, Voice of Ra, Heal, Revelation of Script and skilled in Fight.

Rita Young has a Lantern, a Warding Statue, a Gate Box Newspaper Assignment, a Retainer and some Luck.

Diana Stanley finds a Knife, the ability to Fight, a STL Membership and a spell.
Diana, which deck do you wish to draw the spell from? AH/DH or CotDP?

Mandy Thompson has a Bullwhip, a Dusty Manuscripts, an Ancient Tablet and Stealth on her side.

Jim Culver starts with the Golden Trumpet, Patrolling the Streets, Mists of Releh, Denying the Ancient One and the ability to Grapple.

So, a choice from Diana and we are ready to go!

EDIT: Spoke too soon... I also need starting sliders from Diana, Darrel and Mandy to get the board finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna B.
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

An introduction to the Ancient One whom you are up against:

Effects:
* Dark Young have the Endless ability.
* All monsters have their toughness increased by 1.

If She awakens...
The Combat rating is -5.
She has Physical Immunity.
Any investigator with no monster trophies is devoured.
When she attacks, each investigator must pass an increasingly difficult Sneak (+1) check or lose 1 monster trophy. If someone loses all their monster trophies they are devoured.

Be afraid. Be very afraid...

...Or, y'know, just have some fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.