Subject: Seeking some advice from those who have written their own scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ok bit of a ramble ahead. I am looking for any feedback at all from anyone who has played MoM a lot and ideally who has tried to write their own scenario for the game...

Q1
In an attempt to tell a richer story, I will probably have more clues than I have questions for the Keeper to answer. This will mean that some Clues will be unconditional. Eg Clue 6 will be in play regardless of any answers the Keeper gave. There is no clue 6A, 6B etc. Additionally, several clues will be chosen based on only a single question for the Keeper. E.g. Question (1) for the keeper might result in clues 1A, 2A, and 6A being used, if he answered (A); and clues 1B, 2B, and 6B being used, if he answered (B). Is this acceptable? Is it a good idea?

Q2
How can I let some clues refer to different Keeper answers than those that caused the clue to be placed in the first place? Urgh that was a complicated sentence!! Here’s a crude example to illustrate what I mean…
Say Keeper question (1) was something like: What kind of monsters are prevalent in this story? A) Zombies B) Cultists C) MiGo. Now say question (2) was something like: Where is the main fuse box? A) Basement B) Furnace Room. Keeper choses (A) for Q2 and puts Clue 2 in the appropriate room. However I want Clue 2 to say something like Once the lights go on you see the house is surrounded by Zombies/Cultists/MiGo (the choice here is depending on the answer to the apparently unrelated Q1). How best to do this? Can Clue 2 have a variable list like an Event card and thus refer to 1A, 1B or 1C? Hence clue 2 might read: You have repaired the fuse box and caused the lights in the house to come on again. However you are horrified to see the house is now surrounded by 1A: Zombies, 1B: Cultists, 1C: Mi-Go

Q3
For certain dramatic effects, I want the clues themselves to trigger an “event”. Rather than hoping the turning of Event card will be timed favourably, the discovery of the clue itself would make something dramatic happen. E.g. Finding the fuse box and solving a wiring puzzle lets the party explore for Clue 2 which informs them they have restored the power, but When the lights go on they suddenly see the horrific sight of a shambling corpse…..Keeper puts a Zombie into play anywhere in the basement. Can I do this in a clue? i.e have it effectively behave like an Event?

Q4
I was toying with the idea of making one of the Keeper questions do nothing other than tune the difficulty of the scenario. What do people think of that idea?

Q5
Is it acceptable to have exploration cards which are only in play if the Keeper gives a certain answer? For example: What is Pickman’s preferred weapon? A) Shotgun B) Axe. If the Keeper chose (A) then the Axe would not take part in the scenario at all. Am I allowed to do this? All the examples I've read thus far would have both the Shotgun and the Axe in use, and the question would simply alter which room each is in.

Q6
I am trying to write a new scenario using only base game components, other than clues and objectives of course. I need to ensure that to get past a certain room, the Investigators must be able to start a fire. Is there any neat way to ensure they can do this? I was going to give them the Torch equipment, but then they might not actually find it, or they may use it before I intend them to.

Q7
Going from the above, I also plan to use the clue cards that come with the game and just write down their substitutes in a Word doc or whatever. So the players may turn up Clue 1A of House Lynch, but I will instead read them my replacement Clue 1A. Additionally the Events and Objective would just be on a bit of paper. Will people accept that? Would this prevent my scenario being published on the geek, for example?

Many thanks for any replies!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
Ok bit of a ramble ahead. I am looking for any feedback at all from anyone who has played MoM a lot and ideally who has tried to write their own scenario for the game...

Q1
In an attempt to tell a richer story, I will probably have more clues than I have questions for the Keeper to answer. This will mean that some Clues will be unconditional. Eg Clue 6 will be in play regardless of any answers the Keeper gave. There is no clue 6A, 6B etc. Additionally, several clues will be chosen based on only a single question for the Keeper. E.g. Question (1) for the keeper might result in clues 1A, 2A, and 6A being used, if he answered (A); and clues 1B, 2B, and 6B being used, if he answered (B). Is this acceptable? Is it a good idea?

The Call of the Wild expansion already has clues like this. They are usually just labelled with a question mark.

Quote:
Q2
How can I let some clues refer to different Keeper answers than those that caused the clue to be placed in the first place? Urgh that was a complicated sentence!! Here’s a crude example to illustrate what I mean…
Say Keeper question (1) was something like: What kind of monsters are prevalent in this story? A) Zombies B) Cultists C) MiGo. Now say question (2) was something like: Where is the main fuse box? A) Basement B) Furnace Room. Keeper choses (A) for Q2 and puts Clue 2 in the appropriate room. However I want Clue 2 to say something like Once the lights go on you see the house is surrounded by Zombies/Cultists/MiGo (the choice here is depending on the answer to the apparently unrelated Q1). How best to do this? Can Clue 2 have a variable list like an Event card and thus refer to 1A, 1B or 1C? Hence clue 2 might read: You have repaired the fuse box and caused the lights in the house to come on again. However you are horrified to see the house is now surrounded by 1A: Zombies, 1B: Cultists, 1C: Mi-Go

You would have to have multiple different versions of the same clue, and then have the keeper guide refer to which version to use based on the combination of setup choices. However, this would make the setup guide unreasonably long, so I'd recommend against it. Just make the clues more vague (use terms such as "the creature" rather than naming this specific monsters).

Quote:
Q3
For certain dramatic effects, I want the clues themselves to trigger an “event”. Rather than hoping the turning of Event card will be timed favourably, the discovery of the clue itself would make something dramatic happen. E.g. Finding the fuse box and solving a wiring puzzle lets the party explore for Clue 2 which informs them they have restored the power, but When the lights go on they suddenly see the horrific sight of a shambling corpse…..Keeper puts a Zombie into play anywhere in the basement. Can I do this in a clue? i.e have it effectively behave like an Event?

Some scenarios already do this. If the effect text is quite short, just write it on the Clue card itself in non-italic text. If it is longer, have a separate Exploration card (of the card type "Event") placed in the same room either above or below the clue, as appropriate.

Quote:
Q4
I was toying with the idea of making one of the Keeper questions do nothing other than tune the difficulty of the scenario. What do people think of that idea?

It mostly depends on how you would implement it.

Quote:
Q5
Is it acceptable to have exploration cards which are only in play if the Keeper gives a certain answer? For example: What is Pickman’s preferred weapon? A) Shotgun B) Axe. If the Keeper chose (A) then the Axe would not take part in the scenario at all. Am I allowed to do this? All the examples I've read thus far would have both the Shotgun and the Axe in use, and the question would simply alter which room each is in.

You're allowed to do anything; it's your scenario. So yes - you can do this. Just put a note in the setup to return the other card to the box after setup is complete.

Quote:
Q6
I am trying to write a new scenario using only base game components, other than clues and objectives of course. I need to ensure that to get past a certain room, the Investigators must be able to start a fire. Is there any neat way to ensure they can do this? I was going to give them the Torch equipment, but then they might not actually find it, or they may use it before I intend them to.

I don't think there are any non-discarded items that create fire in the game, but you can do what I did for one of my revised scenarios and just say in the investigator guide special rules that the torch is not discarded when used.

Quote:
Q7
Going from the above, I also plan to use the clue cards that come with the game and just write down their substitutes in a Word doc or whatever. So the players may turn up Clue 1A of House Lynch, but I will instead read them my replacement Clue 1A. Additionally the Events and Objective would just be on a bit of paper. Will people accept that? Would this prevent my scenario being published on the geek, for example?

As far as I'm aware, it is quite common for people to create their own scenarios using this method, and there are no guidelines regarding how scenarios published to BGG should be presented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Chris answers are very insightful. I'd recommend you to look at some of the already published scenarios. Most of your questions have answers there. Just one extra comment:

Q6- lock the exit of the room with a lock card that starts a fire once revealed. That is the easiest way I can think of.

My only advice is: play test it until the feedbacks are all positive. Involve some other groups into the tests before releasing a public version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Just for completeness, there actually is precedent for Q5 in official scenarios: in the Green-Eyed Boy, one lock card (and maybe an exploration card?) determined by the keeper's choices is set aside unused after setup, and in the Mind's Veil, one weapon is sometimes set aside unused at game setup. (Of course, even without precedent you'd still be free to do it.)

amikezor wrote:
Q6- lock the exit of the room with a lock card that starts a fire once revealed. That is the easiest way I can think of.

That would violate the intent of "no custom cards except clues/objectives/events" - otherwise you could easily make a custom exploration item like "Matches - Action: Place a fire token in your room. You may remove a darkness token from your room." You could have an Event place a fire token in the room instead, but I'm guessing that, like the lock suggestion, would also violate the intent of the scenario to have the fire token appear automatically; it sounds like setting the room on fire is a "puzzle" for the investigators, like planting the seeds in Lost in Time and Space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:

That would violate the intent of "no custom cards except clues/objectives/events" - otherwise you could easily make a custom exploration item like "Matches - Action: Place a fire token in your room. You may remove a darkness token from your room." You could have an Event place a fire token in the room instead, but I'm guessing that, like the lock suggestion, would also violate the intent of the scenario to have the fire token appear automatically; it sounds like setting the room on fire is a "puzzle" for the investigators, like planting the seeds in Lost in Time and Space.

Hmmm, I see. No custom content, with the exception of the clues, the objectives, the Events and the special events. Nothing on the board.

Place a torch under a key that open the lock at the exit of the room. Therefore you are sure that one investigator has it, when needed. Make it re-usable as Chris suggested, to avoid it being discarded.

best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
amikezor wrote:
Hmmm, I see. No custom content, with the exception of the clues, the objectives, the Events and the special events. Nothing on the board.

I don't get what you mean. I will use all the base game components as normal. I do not have access to a printer or other way of manufacturing the custom cards I would ideally need. Hence I plan to use existing "Clue X" cards from the base scenarios, and when they are uncovered, I will refer to text in an external document instead. The board will be populated as normal.

As for the Torch, they need to burn the room to destroy an key object that is in it. However, I do not want it to be obvious that setting fire to the room is the solution. I decided to settle on having 2 solutions available...setting fire to the room, or Attacking the object that needs to be destroyed 3 times (no card drawn, automatic success). This way they have a 1-Action solution (if they think of it and still have the Torch), or a 3-Action solution. Since all hell will be breaking lose at this time, the difference might be significant, and astute teams will be rewarded with 2 extra Actions to do something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
amikezor wrote:

I don't get what you mean. I will use all the base game components as normal. I do not have access to a printer or other way of manufacturing the custom cards I would ideally need. Hence I plan to use existing "Clue X" cards from the base scenarios, and when they are uncovered, I will refer to text in an external document instead. The board will be populated as normal.

As for the Torch, they need to burn the room to destroy an key object that is in it. However, I do not want it to be obvious that setting fire to the room is the solution. I decided to settle on having 2 solutions available...setting fire to the room, or Attacking the object that needs to be destroyed 3 times (no card drawn, automatic success). This way they have a 1-Action solution (if they think of it and still have the Torch), or a 3-Action solution. Since all hell will be breaking lose at this time, the difference might be significant, and astute teams will be rewarded with 2 extra Actions to do something else.

How will they know that they can attack the object?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
The objective will simply tell them they need to destroy it to win. I will then let them figure out how to go about this withing the rules of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
The objective will simply tell them they need to destroy it to win. I will then let them figure out how to go about this withing the rules of the game.

Hmm... If they've played MoM before, and they don't explicitly know that they can attack it, then they may end up running around the mansion looking for an item that has a special ability that allows them to destroy the item.

The Objective card should at least explicitly say "The investigators win if they attack the object 3 times or if the room containing the object is on fire".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also consider scaling because a win condition that does not scale with players (IE, 3 attacks on the object) makes for very unbalanced scenarios. This is why key enemies gain X health per investigator.

I would suggest something similar here. If it is meant to take 2 turns to take out the object, say object requires 2X attack actions where X = the number of investigators.

But I must admit that I don't really care for actions that are auto-successes. In effect, it comes down to "remain in this room without doing anything for X turns."

Force a strength roll or something. But that's my own opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I wanted to add some sort of RPG experience in letting them figure it out for themselves. A previous clue (in the form of a diary entry), does actually mention that the room in question had to be specially refrigerated for unknown reasons, which was the main clue to using fire in there.

However I like the compromise of the Objective explicitly saying how the thingy can be destroyed, but making the attack method require a roll of some kind. And I will scale it from 3 attacks to attacks equal to the number of investigators.

The main thing is that parties who pay attention to the clues and actually think about what they might mean are rewarded....hence if you keep the Torch because you suspect a rise in temperature will be useful later, you reap the reward near the end game.

Good stuff. TY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to retain the feeling of a reward for paying attention to the story/theme (keeping the torch at hand) without causing objective failure for not doing so is to add an event to the deck that causes an effect if you have/do not have the torch.

This way, there is no way for the player to know ahead of time, and if they have been keeping it close there is a pay-off to be had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.