Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lini questions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Roberts
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a dead horse somewhere in the rules threads and errata, but I could not find "official" clarifications...

When Lini switches her die to a D10 and a BOTG is given, does it add a D10 or a die of the original stat check? (ie, D4 for Str)

Does the D10 get the + from the original stat check?

AGAIN, I am looking for something official, not what someone "thinks".

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave E

Florida
msg tools
mb
For all intents and purposes her stat becomes a D10 for that turn. BOTG would add a D10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with the last reply, but since you specifically asked for something official, I'll try to give some reasoning to go with that answer.

I don't believe there's an ultra explicit explanation of this anywhere, but the closest you'll find is probably page 11 of the rulebook. Under "Attempting a Check", the first step is always determining which die you're using. You can play powers that alter this at that time. Playing additional cards to affect the check is a later, optional step. This would be where you play blessings or anything else that adds additional die. Regardless of what you're rolling, it's always the die that you selected in step 1 of the process that's the one you add more of when you get extra die on your checks.

This is important for other characters besides Lini. As an example, what if Ezren (1d6 strength) had a longsword (1d8) in hand, and used it for combat? We can all agree that he'd roll 1d6 + 1d8 so far, but what if someone hit him with a Blessing of the Gods? Does he get an extra 1d6 or an extra 1d8? The answer is that he gets another 1d6, since that's his strength, so it's the base die of the check. The 1d8 is the extra die.

In Lini's case, when she turns into an animal, her strength increases from 1d4 to 1d10. That becomes her base stat for strength related checks, including combat. Everything else builds from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Roberts
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but the wording was ambiguous on her. It does not say her Str becomes a D10. It says you may roll a D10 instead of your Str or Dex. I understand the idea she is shapeshifting into a bear, but going by the wording it was ambiguous and I felt it was well balanced the way I initially interpreted it.

I also thought I had read that blessings dice used her initial str in one of the threads but was apparently mistaken...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BotGods adds 1d10 if Lini has boosted her STR with her bear power.

This is the most official explanation we have:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q4t9?What-is-a-die#34

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.