Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This review describes the Kosmos edition of this expansion.

This box offers the game pieces for the green and the brown player (3 ships, 4 harbor settlements, 1 pirate ship, 9 units, 2 settlers, 3 mission markers), 6 more spice sacks (edit: per player, 12 in total), two more fish pieces,

and 6 sheets of punchout carton containing a 3-hex high council tile with connectors to the inner frame, another 3-hex sea insert, 4 sea hexes counted towards the inner frame, three standard land hexes each with orange and green dots on the back, one extra pirate lair hex for each discovery area, two pirate lair chits with the numbers 9 and 10, three number chits each for green (5, 9, 12) and orange (4, 10, 11) discovery areas, 3 cards for the three ziplock bags (one for the game pieces, one for the discovery hexes, and one for the entire hex and number chit content of the basic 5-6 player extension).

I didn't notice any color discrepances to the 2-4 player version. The pirate lair marker fronts aren't different from those of that version, either.

As expected, the four scenarios expand the board vertically, offering 9 rows instead of the usual 7. There is no equivalent for the introductory scenario without any mission bars.

The rules and setup schemes are on a single sheet folded 4 times, offering 8 segments.

The extra building phase is explained on the last sheet section. It takes place after all actions of the active player, and allows exactly the same things as the basic 5-6 player extension - no bank trades, whether cards or coins, no ship movement, no loading/unloading of ships, just the option to build roads, ships next to harbor settlements, colonists or units in harbor settlements or in ships adjacent to harbor settlements, settlements on roads, or settlement upgrades to harbor settlements. (No purchase of development cards, since these aren't part of this game.)

The layout for the undiscovered land makes sure that there are no land-locked hexes - the one for the two scenarios using two mission tracks has interesting fjords formed by the 2 3-hex interior pieces. (I'll post the schematics to the images section.)

The Kosmos edition box will probably be used for other purposes, since the new content can easily be fitted into the 2-4 player version of the game, and the three zip-lock bags strongly suggest to do so. Lacking any other storage solution, these accessories (zip lock bags, content cards) probably will help maintaining some measure of order in the boxes. thumbsup

A test game will have to wait until I get the wooden pieces (of the Mayfair edition) that are marketed in Europe as Viking edition pieces from catanshop.de - still unwilling to give up the wooden pieces. (As a result, I might trade a set of plastic pieces when I get the wooden ones.)

I recreated the board setups (and linked them from my blog post with some explanation what extra hexes go into those setups).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorganos wrote:
... 6 more spice sacks...

There are 12 more spice sacks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr D S-N
United Kingdom
Chatham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know what the size of this expansion in its largest layout is please? (in inches or centimeters)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All measurments performed on the Kosmos edition.

The largest official board (without using frame tiles from the Seafarers expansion and Seafarers 5-6 extension) is 110 cm x 74 cm.

If you restrict your self to 9 rows of hexes (keeping the 74 cm width), you can insert those frame tiles to extend the board by 5 additional hexes to 147 cm.

If you also use the end pieces of the Seafarers expansion with the Sea hexes so that there are two frame tiles with a complete hex adjacent to one another, you free up another 2 1-hex frame extensions for a total length of 158 cm. (Same thing if you use 2 sets each of E&P.)

If you are toying with 2 sets of E&P, you can also toy with a very tall board, using four of the interior 6-hex frames, two 1 hex double connectors and one 3-hex double connector. That would leave you with a board 17 rows tall, which means roughly 150 cm across. I haven't tried to work out how far the exterior frames would bring you with this construction, though - you would cover only 9 rows of vertical frames from the corner frame tiles and the vertical ones with the hex on them, so this would eat up 8 straight frame extensions from the length, leaving only 2 hexes for extending in that direction.

Now, using 2 sets of E&P and 2 sets of Seafarers tiles (including all 5-6 player extensions once) would result in an octagon of 17 rows and 20 hexes or so on the horizontal frame. You'll be hard put to fill all that interior from hexes of your expansions and will probably need more than 2 basic games and/or seafarers games. Since catanshop.de does sell replacement sets of hex tiles, this can be achieved, and a pingpong table ought to provide enough surface to place such a board on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr D S-N
United Kingdom
Chatham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your response. This will help a great deal in the acquisition of a play mat.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.