Paul Roberts
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a clarification on cards played to assist a player. I thought only one card of each type could be used period. Now I have been told that actually each difference player can add one (applicable) card of each type to assist a roll.

In particular. Each player can assist an individual check with Blessing of the Gods? We had been playing it that only one person could use a BOTG since another would be using a second card of the same type of the check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at page 11 under play cards that affect a check in the rulebook.

In summary, EACH player may play no more than one type of card, so 2 players each can play a blessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this wrongly too. I was directed by the comment on page 10 of the rulebook which reads (under "Playing Cards"):

"You may only play 1 card of each type at any given time; for example, you may not play more than 1 weapon to modify the same combat check or more than 1 spell to prevent damage from a single encounter."

But, of course, by "you" it means "a character". When playing solo with 3 characters I was still being led by "you may not" when it should be "each character may not".

I hope this is correct now!

Rick

i.e. when you solo multiple characters, you have to remember you are not alone in game rule terms !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Roberts
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure hope they ramp up the difficulty. All the rulings seem to be geared toward making it very easy. Sunday eve we played with the rules as you stated on BOTG as i was told it works the way you said. We still did Lini by rolling her D10, but with the Blessings giving a D4 (her str). Guess what happened with a D10+6d4 against the boss? She crushed him. Now I am being told it should have been 7 D10. Silly. We may or may not Play by these Carebear rules at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Anderson
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Paul, that is a boatload of blessings to have available, sure if you are in a situation to make sure everyone is in position to all have a blessing to use you will automatically blow out the boss, but you might face the boss 3 times in the encounter and you can't always have everyone have a blessing available never mind have everyone give up that many hps.

However, I agree in general with the ease of the game, beating monsters is always easy, the difficulty is in the blessing deck not dying (99 times out of a 100 anyway). The risk in beating monsters come is in not using those blessings to kill the monster because you need them to explore

Finally, I am not sure why Lini would be the deal breaker here, Ezren gets a d12 for his int, so if you use a blessing on him when casting a spell he can get 6d12, why get focused on Lini who is actually fairly weak in terms of damage output capability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
isawa_mo wrote:
I am looking for a clarification on cards played to assist a player. I thought only one card of each type could be used period. Now I have been told that actually each difference player can add one (applicable) card of each type to assist a roll.

In particular. Each player can assist an individual check with Blessing of the Gods? We had been playing it that only one person could use a BOTG since another would be using a second card of the same type of the check.

Also note that "type" is Blessing. The specific card name is Blessing of the Gods, but the "one of each type" restriction refers to the card type, not the name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Roberts
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it just feels wrong with Lini. She is much more versatile and has more survivability than Ezren (I assume, have not used Ezren at all). She also, almost always gets an extra d4 freely from Animals. We do not have a rogue in the campaign we are playing at home with my kids and she handles a lot of the checks the rest of us cannot handle, due to that +d4.

Honestly, the BOTG thing is more a choice anyhow, and its probably why at home we handle things in time often, because we do not waste as many Blessings on extra dice for folks.

Neither is a deal breaker for me anyhow. Even with the few flaws it has, my kids love it and that makes it more than worth it for me. Anything to get my kids to play games with me

I just like to have a bit of bite in my co-ops as it makes them more worthwhile. I am possibly a bit jaded too. I was able to nab holy candle in our first adventure and so we have had it at our disposal every game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.