Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Perfect RPG card game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elena S
msg tools
Hey guys

Im looking for a fast playing RPG that is easy to learn and not complicated or mired down by too many rules and reference charts/sheets, is this the one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fast - checked
Rich (getting richer)- checked
Easy to learn - checked
Flavor - checked

i think this is the one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elena S
msg tools
Does the game play smoothly and the system is intuitive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BabyPower wrote:
Does the game play smoothly and the system is intuitive?

Smoothly - yeah, for the most part. Once you have the swing of things, its pretty easy to move through a turn. The only hang ups are the "must win" turns and you and the other people playing have to coordinate a solid attack.

Intuitive - yes and no. There's a lot of reading because everything is text based - it gets a big fat zero in my "use of awesome symbology" category. However once you have the rules down, you know what the process is and that makes things easier. Move, give, explore, play bonuses, roll. Explore again?

You really need to watch a video playthrough like Gray Elephant Gaming or Crits Happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BabyPower wrote:
Hey guys

Im looking for a fast playing RPG that is easy to learn and not complicated or mired down by too many rules and reference charts/sheets, is this the one?

As long as you consider limited available story as RPGish, then you're good to go. This game has only slightly more story than Magic: the Gathering does. Any story on top of that that you want will have to be in the imagination and portrayal of the people playing.

Also, because it's a card game, there are a few thematic common sense issues that'll come up, such as being able to help someone in another location with a weapon, or how one knows to pray to the gods for help when someone's fighting a monster three locations away.

Other than that, have fun. It's quick, easy to play once you know how, and the rules are quite simple in the followthrough compared to some other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BabyPower wrote:
Hey guys :)

:):):D

This isn't an RPG, sorry. You may be looking for something like Old School Hack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An important note. It is not a replacement of a table top RPG for those that like table top RPGs. It is more like a computer RPG where you're fighting a raid boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that story and co-operation are very limited. I recommend reading the reviews here before you decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BabyPower wrote:
Hey guys :)

:):):D

I would not consider this game an RPG.

It feels a little like an RPG in that it has some story and the characters level up. In particular, it feels a lot like playing the Pathfinder RPG; there are dice, monsters, a medival setting, and lots of references to Pathfinder. However, you do not have the freedom of choice available in a real RPG. Most of the time you will be running a very similar plot, and random monsters can be really random.

Compared to Pathfinder, the rules are light and relatively straight forward. Compared to many board games the rules/cards are overly vague. If you are okay with making a choice and moving on given a vague rules problem, then you will have little to no problem. If you want to play exactly as the developer intended, then you should take a look at FAQ and rules forum to get an idea what you are in for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David L.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I don't understand people saying it's not an RPG. You pick a character that you play over multiple sessions, you get loot, you "level up", you explore dungeons, and you kill monsters. It's a freaking RPG . It's a different animal than, say, pen and paper D&D, but so are a lot of things that are considered RPGs. I would say if you and your fellow gamers have any imagination whatsoever the game is great at encouraging a little role playing and storytelling. A little imagination is also more than enough to get past any mechanics "issues" you'll hear people talk about (multiple people fighting a monster at once, collapsed ceilings in the woods, etc.)

Regarding your "easy" concern, this plays very quickly out of the box. You will have questions and will probably have to consult the rule book on your first play or two. I would say everything clicked for me by about the 3rd play through. There are "character sheets" but they are really more of a reference and not something you'll spend a lot of time messing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David L.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
slacks wrote:

It feels a little like an RPG in that it has some story and the characters level up. In particular, it feels a lot like playing the Pathfinder RPG; there are dice, monsters, a medival setting, and lots of references to Pathfinder. However, you do not have the freedom of choice available in a real RPG. Most of the time you will be running a very similar plot, and random monsters can be really random.

But how is this different from something like a computer RPG where there plot is pre-set (usually to some degree)? Although maybe you do not consider those true RPGs either. I would say if someone is looking for a "lite" RPG, this game can fulfill that desire quite well. It's important to know that it's different, but I feel like it still qualifies as an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plaguemouse wrote:
slacks wrote:

But how is this different from something like a computer RPG where there plot is pre-set (usually to some degree)? Although maybe you do not consider those true RPGs either. I would say if someone is looking for a "lite" RPG, this game can fulfill that desire quite well. It's important to know that it's different, but I feel like it still qualifies as an RPG.

In those games you actually make some decisions for your role. You PLAY your role, most evident through things like dialog decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:
Be aware that [...] co-operation [is] very limited.

Disagree significantly. Co-operation is required to win unless you overpower the scenario. This should not be confused with character interaction. In the base game, the ability to team up like you would in an MMORPG (the genre this game is most compared to) is limited but that is not at all the same as co-operation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Roberts
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plaguemouse wrote:
I don't understand people saying it's not an RPG.

Do we really need to do this again? There are already at least two other threads, filled with trollage and snide opinions, that cover this topic extensively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calthaer wrote:
plaguemouse wrote:

Do we really need to do this again? There are already at least two other threads, filled with trollage and snide opinions, that cover this topic extensively.

Self-fulfilling, I feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David L.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Calthaer wrote:
plaguemouse wrote:

The OP was looking for a fast, uncomplicated RPG. I think this game fits the bill. Other people did not. I thought it was worth at least going into a little further detail for someone that is looking to purchase the game. Feel free to point them to the troll-filled threads if you think that would help them .

Calthaer wrote:
In those games you actually make some decisions for your role. You PLAY your role, most evident through things like dialog decisions.

While I agree that there are varying degrees of the playing of one's role depending on the RPG in question, I still maintain that there are enough RPG elements in PACG to qualify it as an RPG. If someone says they are looking for a lite RPG of sorts, this could very well be exactly what they are hoping for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
plaguemouse wrote:
slacks wrote:

Player choice
That is a good point, and I think where a game qualifies as a "real" RPG is different for different people. In a typical pen and paper RPG there are a very wide range of options availble, these options are only limited by the other players and the GM. In a good computer RPG there are also many options, but not as many as are available in a pen and paper RPG. In PACG there is often only one or two options by default. I think PACG is significantly worse than many computer RPGs in this regard.

Let me use Deus Ex 2 as an example. Most of the game you can play how it suits your character; you can sneak, talk, or fight your way through most obstacles. This is a good thing. In contrast the boss fights can only be won through brute force, for many people this was very disappointing because you aren't allowed to play the character you want, you must fight. IMO PACG is often like Deus Ex 2, sometimes you have the right cards/abilities to play the character but often you are forced to deal with situations in a way that is very out of character.

For some people this is enough to qualify the game as an RPG, but for me it is not.

Story
There is also the story aspect. In pen and paper the story is as good as the GM and players, but it can be quite good and varied. In a good computer RPG typically the story is very good and also varied. In PACG the story is nearly always hunt down the bad guy and fight him. This *can* be a compelling story but there is very little variety. I find that PACG relies on the players to make the story compelling rather than drawing the players into the story.

I think this is where homebrew will help PACG the most because I don't believe that PACG is inherently limited to one type of story, it is just that the devs have chosen to tell that story over and over for some reason. As far as drawing the players in, that is usually just a matter of spending more time describing the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elena S
msg tools
It reminds me of Dungeoneer which I really enjoyed. Is it similar but with more roleplaying elements?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
BabyPower wrote:
It reminds me of Dungeoneer which I really enjoyed. Is it similar but with more roleplaying elements?

Well there is no Peril/Glory system or map as such for starts and isn't Dungeoneer competitive?
(just from memory)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BabyPower wrote:
Hey guys

We are in a board game domain. Sir, plz try this site: http://rpggeek.com/
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elena S
msg tools
topera wrote:
BabyPower wrote:
Hey guys

We are in a board game domain. Sir, plz try this site: http://rpggeek.com/
ninja

ok, many thanks for the links

im a girl btw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Overgauss .
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deekow wrote:
Calthaer wrote:
plaguemouse wrote:

Self-fulfilling, I feel.

I tried to have an objective and rational discussion filled with definitions, examples, and citations.

Right out of the gate most of the responses were either snarky, snippy, self assured troll attempts from people that failed to realize the issues they raised were already addressed in the first post.

So they would get mad if you pointed out that they are just repeating themselves over and over, hence the discussion could not go anywhere.

Then they would just rage quit when you threw facts their way.

If interested the discussion starts here, but the rage quitting starts more towards the end.

Here is one of my favorite quotes:
Acererak wrote:
RogMcK wrote:
It is an RPG.

Inform a moderator that we are in the wrong forums then.

The sentiment is mirrored in this thread of course (check out the last page to see the relevance).

Also how do people not get that "Elena" is a name primarily associated with females?!! I guess that sorta explains things.

Edit:
Clarity,Tpyo, Link+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two or three nights ago, I sat down to play the Attack at Sandpoint scenario solo with Kyra the Cleric who I have been lovingly writing up her story in the Sessions forum. (Haven't written this one yet. Can't sit down to do it yet.)

It was near the end and she SHOULD have done one more Cure before her next Explore, but I figured with the Armor I had, I could withstand pretty much anything even though I only had 3 cards left.

Explosive Runes. BOOM! One dead cleric.

AND MAN, and I bummed! and sad. And can't decide yet what to do next.

Start a new Kyra? It won't feel the same.

Start one of the other characters like I told myself before I started Kyra's adventures that I would do? While I'm still greiving? LOL

You can tell me it's NOT an RPG, and I guess technically, it may not be. But I felt the loss of my character in that adventure just as much as I ever felt the loss of any of my 'real' RPG characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Beck
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dave,
Your story hits me hard, because I had the same thing happen with two of my characters the other day. I've been playing a "solo" game but running both Amiri and Lem myself, because I don't find that running with a single character allows for enough diversity in checks. However, I had essentially a total party kill on one of the higher scenarios in the adventure path (I think it was the one with Erylium as the Villain, can't remember for sure, though.)

When that happened, I had a moral dilemma. Do I follow the rules, have these two characters die and start over with others? I've invested so much into them (I ran them through a bunch of custom scenarios I had gotten from the forums here too, so they were something like 8 scenarios in), and since they both died there weren't even any other characters to loot their nice items. I decided that, for my own sanity, I would count it as a loss, but not let the characters die. I didn't allow them to acquire any of the new items they had gotten in the current scenario, and rebuilt their decks back to how they were before that scenario. While this goes against the written rules, I didn't have the heart to start them over, because that just wasn't fun for me.

I've decided that when I'm playing solo games, I will play this way, but when I'm playing with other gamers that I'll follow the rules, and if my character dies he's dead. For me, this is just to keep my own mourning to a minimum.

This really just goes to show how well this game was made, though, because if you're getting invested in your character, then it IS an RPG, even though it's just cards.

Tyler
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose I *could* start Kyra where she was at the end of "Local Heroes" and say, like in a video game, that was my last "save" point...

For now, though, I've decided to launch Seelah and Amiri as a duo and see some locations I didn't get to see playing just one character. And also I can get a feel for how the game plays with multiple characters.

It DOES seem very RPGish to me though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.