Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Vietnam Session Report

Spring 1968.

With almost no replacement points left for the US/FWA and ARVN on a fixed budget operations were very minimal to the end of 1968. The US Player was just happy to survive the Spring relatively unscathed.

Summer 1968

Interphase

Pacification continues to erode at a rather steady pace ending at 193. Only 7 points to go for the NLF victory. With ARVN on a fixed budget and the US withdrawing the US Player sits on the fence as to how to spend its limited resources. There was no Strategic Warfare this turn.
The good news was ARVN are very effective this season allowing the US Player to make some adjustments and attacks.

I Corp

With the declining US troop strength and limited ARVN resources tough decisions had to be made. A large amount of ARVN artillery in the hills near Khe Sahn were inflicting losses. The decision was made to abandon Quang Tri. A small holding force remained in the Capital with the remainder squeezing into Thua Thien. A major effort began to clear Thua Thien of NLF presence. With little time left to play in the Summer of 1968 the effort is largely successful. The NLF described it as an expanding umbrella pushing them out. With a Free Fire marker in Thua Thien SVN is hoping for some good dice to keep Thua Thien on the good side of the pacification effort.

II Corp

II Corp is all but abandoned at this point. Several capitals were abandoned to the VC when pressured by VC presence. The country side is mostly clear of VC and ARVN forces in II Corp. Relative peace, but a mostly pro NLF population.

III Corp

Several battalions and a regiment with artillery support were loitering in Tay Ninh. With no US support ARVN were able to clear Tay Ninh of VC albeit at a cost.

IV Corp

Large groups of VC appeared in the Delta. They have been getting pushed closer and closer to Cambodia by the relentless push of the 1st Marine Division. Losses on both sides have been light as the Marines have been content to push them away rather than run up the body count. Large concentrations remain but there is still some time to play before pacification.

Upstairs Game

So we didn’t play too much this weekend and to be truthful this Session report cover two weekends as I never got around to writing one last time. We play Barbarossa to Berlin the first weekend, the game was never finished due to an overzealous housekeeper. Then this weekend we played three games of Andean Abyss. We sat and compared Andean Abyss to Vietnam and talked about the upcoming release of Fire in the Lake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NLF Perspective

Summer 1968

The US has begun to pare down their presence in Vietnam - by about a US division withdrawing per season. The US has over 200 Air Points available each season.

All of the larger caliber US and all of the ARVN artillery is also active in SVN.

The ARVN Chief of Staff has been a +2 Leader for the entire game - which has been a great boon to Mark's play since he has had use of the ARVN Artillery every season that he rolls a 1-5 for effectiveness (unless he rolls a 6 on d6 he gets automatic effective artillery)

The NLF have begun to build up a greater presence of NVA.

We have also brought the NVA fully into SVN, exposed to the US Airpower and so forth.

This has led to some replacement losses, but we also shot down 4 aircraft and some helicopters during operations so far this season.

The ARVN roused from their garrison slumber and pushed a VC regiment, HQ, and several VC battalions out of Tay Ninh Province in Summer 1968.

I had the VC there, because Tay Ninh still has 3 population points loyal to the SVN government. I was hoping to reverse their loyalties with my VC.

But Alas, the ARVN kicked me out using a couple of ARVN divisions and some artillery and 25 Air Points. Both side suffered some replacement losses, which is my only redeeming result of the butt-kicking my VC took there. VC lost about 20 replacement points, while the ARVN lost maybe 7 in that encounter.

THE KEY TO OUR GAME JUST NOW

The key to my NLF Strategy right now is the fact that I have control of 193 of the 360 SVN population right now.

I win the game immediately IF I can bring this amount up to the magic 200 out of 360 SVN population.

Therefore, the US and ARVN >> HAVE TO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The US and ARVN have to engage us, or they will lose the last 7 points of population which will result in an immediate NLF pacification victory.

A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE…

The US and ARVN must engage the VC and NVA, because we are pressuring the pacification victory.

Because of that, we can harm the ARVN and US. The Us has lost 4 aircraft shot down this season so far, and some choppers as well.

The ARVN are losing more of their very finite replacements. The ARVN replacements are now under 100 left.

So we will continue to pressure the SVN-controlled provinces, and they must kick us out or lose an immediate pacification victory when the NLF get to 200 population controlled.

The ARVN replacements just wont last too far into the 1970s.

We have them between a rock and a hard place now.

Enjoying the Game!
Randy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I CORPS

The only two provinces in which the SVN government controls significant population are Thua Tien and Quang Tri (the northernmost provinces near the DMZ)

Because the FWA player cannot defend everything in I Corps, and because they only care at this moment about Thua Tien and Quang Tri provinces…

Therefore, a salient has formed protecting Thua Tien and the capitol of Quang Tri Province.

The FWA Salient is anchored at the City of Danang, then follows the Thua Tien Province border through the mountains and along the Loatian border.
At the Thua Tien / Quang Tri provincial border, the salient curls back to the coast, anchored on the northern edge of the salient at Quang Tri City, Quang Tri.

Within this salient, the US and ARVN have over 100 factors of artillery points, which are protecting the northern perimeter of this defensive salient, where the NVA forces present the greatest threat to the salient.

So the NVA lob shells at the perimeter defenders every season.

The US and ARVN fight to maintain the integrity of the salient so that the population will not go over to NLF control during pacification.

I Corps is like a game unto itself.

Enjoying the Game!
Randy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.