Subject: A completely random list of games to choose from... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raf
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Hey all,

Looking to pick-up a couple new games from the list below, but I'm open to suggestions if there are similar titles you think are better. For instance, if you think there's a better draft gaming than Biblios, just mention it.

Thanks! Here's the list:

Black Friday
Shark
The Boss
Biblios
Innovation
Dixit
Le Havre
Agricola
Carson City
Lords of Vegas
Panic on Wall Street
Article 27
Bang!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Biblios, Le Harve
-1 to Agricola, Dixit, and Bang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your criteria?
If you look for the best husbandry game, then Agricola is probably the right choice.
However, if you look for the best worker placement game, there are games that beat Agricola IMO (for example, Tzolk'in; I know that many would disagree).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It would help to know what type of games you like, how many people usually play, etc.

If you are looking for fun games with larger groups (5+), I'd say +1 for Dixit and Bang!, but if you are only playing with 2-4 players, I'd say -1 for both.

+1 for Agricola. It is a good solo game and works great with up to 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were choosing between the games above, I would choose Agricola. Here are my reasons:

1. It scales the best, 1-5.
2. It's got an approachable theme.
3. It's easy to explain for the complexity and depth it offers.
4. I like it.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if any of the above reasons even apply to you and your situation, because you've provided nothing for me to use in helping you with the decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
I'm just looking for your opinion guys. I don't have a regular gaming group, so the size does vary and I'm open to anything.

I have a few dozen games already if you want to get a sense of what I gravitate toward. Check it out in my profile if you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IllHaveAnother wrote:
I'm just looking for your opinion guys. I don't have a regular gaming group, so the size does vary and I'm open to anything.

I have a few dozen games already if you want to get a sense of what I gravitate toward. Check it out in my profile if you'd like.

You haven't rated any of your games or given comments to them. Do you like them all the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Tammany Hall, Twilight Struggle and The Resistance would be my top three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a crazy combination of games which fit very, very different niches. You've got heavy worker placement games, party games, card games, and economic games. That's why people are having difficulty making recommendations.

And some of the games on your list work with very specific player counts, so that is something to be wary of. For instance:

Lords of Vegas plays poorly with two, is just okay with three, and is phenomenal with four. So if you have four players, I highly recommend it.

Panic on Wall Street, Dixit, and Bang! are party games which need 5 or more players to really work. Out of the three, I prefer 'Panic', with Dixit coming in second.

Innovation is largely considered a two player game which gets far too chaotic with more.

As suggested by others, Agricola seems like a good recommendation. Carson City also scales well, and is a very good game. It is currently between print runs (possibly out of print?), so it might be expensive though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
AgricolaAgricolaAgricolaAgricolaAgricolaAgricolaAgricolaAgricolaAgricolaAgricolaAgricolaAgricolaAgricola

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dixit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Boss is said to be one of the best negotiation games. It's also said to be hard to get.

Biblios is a relatively simple, yet deep game with no theme to speak of. If you like subtle interaction, it's fine.

Innovation is a card game of many effects and huge swings. Relatively dramatic game. Probably nothing like it. Though Glory to Rome isn't bad either.

Dixit is a party game for groups that know each other well. You have to give hints that somebody will guess and someone won't. I currently prefer Time's Up! as my go to party game (I have a homemade very specific copy).

Agricola and Le Havre are similar - Agricola has better theme implementation and is more strategic (pick a strategy, go with it), Le Havre is longer, more thinky, less tense with more variety. I vastly preffer Agricola of the two. Both have relatively low level of interaction compared to other games on you list.

Bang! is a stupid game that combines secret roles with hm, cardplay (like trick taking uhm without tricks). I like it. Cash and Guns I like much more though. And there's resistance for more serious players (either very thinky or very psychological, depends on the grourp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.