Recommend
16 
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner – True Colors» Forums » General

Subject: Fenris rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phillip DeCarbo
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so the new Game Trade Magazine showed up, and there is an ad for True Colors in it.

Mostly hidden are TGTBT & Keyhole, but the front card I believe is a thus-far unknown:

Fenris - HB
ICE: Sentry - AP - Illicit
Rez cost 4
STR 2
When you rez Fenris, take 1 bad publicity.
-> Do 1 brain damage.
-> End the run.
2 influence



Edit: Added picture
28 
 Thumb up
1.59
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ETR sentry that's not a bioroid?

Bad Pub is tempting... But str 2 is quite iffy. It *is* a badass anti-facecheck rototurret
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Keaten
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
First Click
badge
Praise it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oof. That whole "Don't facecheck without a Sentry breaker" policy is quickly going to turn into a rule, isn't it?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems interesting enough for Jinteki, and just within affordability at 4C and 2I. And it gives Clone Retirement a positive use.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
If Frame Job required taking 1 brain damage instead of forfeiting an agenda, I'd probably play Frame Job.
If I don't need to spend clicks nor dedicate deck space for the same effect - so much better for me as a Runner.
That's even before remembering about Emergency Shundown.
That said, Jinteki will probably like that ice. But only Jinteki.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Alvarez
China
Tracy
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
This is HB's dog themed ICE. According to Wikipedia:

Wikipedia wrote:
Due to the gods' knowledge of prophecies foretelling great trouble from Fenrir and his rapid growth, the gods bound him, and as a result Fenrir bit off the right hand of the god Týr.


Tyr's Hand? Fenris, son of Loki, prophesied to kill Odin? Great lore.

Question? Since Fenris is a canine that grows rapidly, I wonder if this will have a NEXT subtitle.

Edit: Wrote this before the picture, so no on the NEXT designation. However, I like how the art seems to depict the moment Fenris bit off Tyr's hand. I think the flavor text could've gone into the lore a bit, that'd have been nice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FENRIS,
Y U NO NEXT?!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Perry
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
maybe i missed it or maybe there isn't one, but were there GTM ads for second thoughts or mala tempora?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a nice piece of ice for Jinteki or an HB Brain damage/ST deck.

Who cares about BP when the runner is clicking through your ice anyway? And encouraging breakers seems like a good thing for ST which otherwise struggles to make the runner install any programs. This will turn on Ichi anyway, and should scare runners off facechecking on the first turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip DeCarbo
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
experimilk wrote:
maybe i missed it or maybe there isn't one, but were there GTM ads for second thoughts or mala tempora?


I believe that there was one for one of them and not the other, and the one that had it didn't show anything new. But that is going by my awful memory, so don't believe anything that I say.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:
This looks like a nice piece of ice for Jinteki or an HB Brain damage/ST deck.

Who cares about BP when the runner is clicking through your ice anyway? And encouraging breakers seems like a good thing for ST which otherwise struggles to make the runner install any programs. This will turn on Ichi anyway, and should scare runners off facechecking on the first turn.

It doesn't gain anything from ST's ability though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Kandiru wrote:
This looks like a nice piece of ice for Jinteki or an HB Brain damage/ST deck.

Who cares about BP when the runner is clicking through your ice anyway? And encouraging breakers seems like a good thing for ST which otherwise struggles to make the runner install any programs. This will turn on Ichi anyway, and should scare runners off facechecking on the first turn.

It doesn't gain anything from ST's ability though.


If you think making the runner install a sentry breaker or take brain damage is nothing. And the bad pub will be quickly absorbed by the +1Str on your bioroids if the runner starts paying to break your bioroids.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I made out the flavor text!

As reported causes of brain damage in veterans
rise, mind/machine inferface devices are
subject to increased public stcrutiny. That
certain programs can cause irreparable
harm to users has gone from fringe theory to
accepted truth.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think an illicit ICE should be either very cheap or quite powerful.

Frankly, paying 4 credits and 1 bad publicity for a STR 2 ICE with 2 subroutines doesn't seem much of a bargain.

I'd rather keep going with Viktor 1.0, or even Viktor 2.0.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think it's a pretty decent piece of ice, I just wish it was 3 credits or that it had 3 strength (so that Femme Fatale won't be able to just laugh all the way to the bank).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh..

It sure looks like illicit ICE is turning out to be a pretty lame mechanic.. soblue
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the first piece of brain damage ice you can't click through. That's pretty good, isn't it? And it ends the run. Its better than Grim I think.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Perry
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
i think people are really averse to accruing bad pub, but HOPEFULLY by the end of the cycle pretty much every corp deck isn't going to mind giving one or two away.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:
Its the first piece of brain damage ice you can't click through. That's pretty good, isn't it? And it ends the run. Its better than Grim I think.

Janus also can't be clickled through entirely, unless you have 4 clicks after intiating a run.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto H
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The problem with Fenris is that there is only very narrow window when it is useful. That is only couple first turns of game when Runner is face checking without a sentry breaker. After that it becomes useless ICE you never want to rez. It is so easy and cheap to break anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Kandiru wrote:
Its the first piece of brain damage ice you can't click through. That's pretty good, isn't it? And it ends the run. Its better than Grim I think.

Janus also can't be clickled through entirely, unless you have 4 clicks after intiating a run.

True, but you're paying a premium for that. In terms of reasonably priced ice, this stands alone.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aHein wrote:
The problem with Fenris is that there is only very narrow window when it is useful. That is only couple first turns of game when Runner is face checking without a sentry breaker. After that it becomes useless ICE you never want to rez. It is so easy and cheap to break anyway.


If you have a server of Ichi(1 or 2)->Fenris with the Fenris unrezzed Them if the runner makes a hail-mary run through your Ichi (or you get them with a Tyr's hand) them you are quite likley to be able to land the Fenris brain damage. And early game a Chum->Fenris will hurt. This is going to be very powerful in a flatline deck, but brain damage isn't worth as much outside Ronin/Scorched.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto H
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:
aHein wrote:
The problem with Fenris is that there is only very narrow window when it is useful. That is only couple first turns of game when Runner is face checking without a sentry breaker. After that it becomes useless ICE you never want to rez. It is so easy and cheap to break anyway.


If you have a server of Ichi(1 or 2)->Fenris with the Fenris unrezzed Them if the runner makes a hail-mary run through your Ichi (or you get them with a Tyr's hand) them you are quite likley to be able to land the Fenris brain damage. And early game a Chum->Fenris will hurt. This is going to be very powerful in a flatline deck, but brain damage isn't worth as much outside Ronin/Scorched.


Still it is only 1 brain damage, nothing major. It is the ETR which is good against hail-mary Ichi runs, which doesn't really happen often. Not the 1 brain dmg which can be totally irrelevant. Your deck has to be planned to benefit from that 1 brain dmg (might hurt a little against Jinteki but runners usually play sentry breaker/Atman with 2-3 against Jinteki soon anyway). 2 Brain dmg is the more magical number, then you need extra carapace to be safe from 2 scorches. Fenris might get better if there are more corp cards coming which benefit from runner brain dmg.

I might see Fenris in Punitive Counterstrike flatline deck which I think will be popular. But even 2x Punitive Counterstrike makes usually 4 or 6 meat damage where 1 brain damage can be irrelevant.

Also I think Chum->Any ice is good. It is just bad play to walk over Chum if you can't break even Str2 Sentry next.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Perry
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
aHein wrote:
The problem with Fenris is that there is only very narrow window when it is useful. That is only couple first turns of game when Runner is face checking without a sentry breaker. After that it becomes useless ICE you never want to rez. It is so easy and cheap to break anyway.


this was the exact same thing that people said about NK, and it sort of did this curve where it was ok, to bad, to ok, to really good. I'm not saying this will go the same way since it's obviously a different cost, but i feel like this card serves very much the same role that NK does in jin decks. Not bad for a brain damage deck
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like Neural Katana, starting the game with brain/net damage to the runner can be really strong. And it ends the run!

The BadPub will be an issue, but it doesn't hurt Bioroids as much, since they are clickable anyway, so paying to break them at -1 is still a good deal for the corp. And has long as the runner has programs installed, Ichi1.0/2.0 are excellent ice. In a brain damage deck with Viktor/Heimdall 1/2 I think Fenris is really going to help secure that extra brain damage to close the match.

You obviously don't rez Fenris if its not going to land its brain damage.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.