BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: Help finding a game my wife would like rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mayu Polo
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hello all,

I am trying to get my wife into boardgaming a bit more. She does enjoy party games and I've even gotten her to play Zombie Fluxx a couple of times, but generally she doesn't like games where you have a metric ton of rules and complex mechanics to learn.

I am also wondering if there are any good games with gardening, horticulture, architecture or interior design as a theme, since those are things that interest her in real life.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two quick games come to mind: Carcassonne and Love Letter. They are fast paced, with a theme that could be fun / appealing and they could be a good introduction to longer games. I'm especiall fond of Carcassonne because it was my first "non conventional" boardgame, and I played it to death for months before moving to Arkham Horror and Fury of Dracula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is a good choice!

The non-gamers in my family have liked these two games, the rules for both are pretty simple but there are still some good decisions to be made:

Piece o' Cake

Tsuro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious Has incredibly simple rules AND still is challenging and fun to play. But it is an abstract with no theme.

Lorna did "garden" game geeklist at some point... I will try to find it.

Edit - Found it.

My Garden Geeklist- May Flowers time

These games may not fit your other criteria but they are garden themed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Garcia
United States
Miami Lakes
Florida
flag msg tools
"When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you" ― Friedrich Nietzsche
badge
“We are a way for the universe to know itself.” ― Carl Sagan
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves Alhambra: Big Box
It has this kind of "architecture" feature you are looking for. You really have the feeling of building something. It is fun, plays very fast, rules are very simple and components are beautiful. It´s a very good family game. The only con would be the "dummy" player for 2 player games, but that´s something you can easily house-rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She likes gardening and horticulute?

The best game for you to get her to play is therefore

Garden Dice

It's all about using dice to get seeds, plant vegatables, water crops, and harvest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Takenoko?
The game is super cute, there is gardening and growing bamboo and the rules aren't too hard I really love this game when I want something lighter and an eye-candy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
aniaga wrote:
Maybe Takenoko?
The game is super cute, there is gardening and growing bamboo and the rules aren't too hard I really love this game when I want something lighter and an eye-candy

Should try this one, sooner or later Thanks for reminding me, Agnieszka!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter. Teach it well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely +1 for Garden Dice but also check out At the Gates of Loyang, Finca, Zooloretto, and if they're still too much maybe something like Ingenious or Pickomino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Garden Dice +1

Key Harvest

Heartland

The Hanging Gardens

California

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

Garden Dice

It's all about using dice to get seeds, plant vegatables, water crops, and harvest.

Garden Dice is great and nobody talks about it enough.

It's GREAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LNXlady
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Garden Dice

It's GREAT.

I second Takenoko, and Hanging Gardens. We really like Alhambra but haven't played Alhambra with only 2 because of the dummy player thing. Carcassonne: The Castle works great with 2 and you get to build. She might also enjoy a simple co-op like Forbidden Island. Very few rules with that one so it's quick to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Garden Dice

It's GREAT.

Wow, thanks! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.