f h
msg tools
Tried the game for the first time last weekend w/ four players and we think we got the bulk of it right (although there were a lot of rules [character powers for example] we kept overlooking/forgetting about just from lack of familiarity w/ the cards). However there were two things we are still confused about...

- Characters helping each other: looking over some of the threads here it looks like this is a case-by-case specific thing. So when one character has a check (combat or non-combat) other characters at the same location may play cards that add to the check except for; "by-passes" (things that let you ignore the bane entirely), weapons (can't use a weapon on someone else's turn) or if the card is specifically worded to not allow this. IIRC from the rules, the exception to this may be if the bane has some sort of double check needed ("and" instead of "or"). In this case the person who drew the card/who's turn it is can do one of the checks, and then anyone else at the location can do the other check (if the original character doesn't/can't do it). Does that sound right?

- Closing locations: This one was really confusing, I looked over the first dozen or so pages here and didn't see anything so apologies if this has been answered before. IIRC from the rules it mentions you can attempt to close a location; after it is out of cards, after defeating a henchman, when someone encounters the villain at another location (am I remembering that right?), or if some special case is met that applies to that location. A location is automatically closed when the villain is defeated there. The question is what happens after the location is closed and what does temporarily closed v. permanently closed mean? From the rules it sounds like when a location is closed any non-villain cards are banished, but then it mentions later that a character can go back to a closed location and continue going through the cards there??? Actually reading through this, in an attempt to answer my own question, is the location permanently closed when a henchman or the villain is defeated there, but only temporarily closed in all other cases?

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st question sounds right

2nd question:-
some close locations can still have cards so far only general store i think

some locations can be visited by heroes when closed for benefits like healing
temple i think..

temp close is when you encounter the villain early, and you can stop him from escaping to that location, so you cut of his escape routes
so you know which pile hes gone to or at least cut down the possibilities,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
You do NOT need to be at the same location to play cards that assist with checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
[...]- Characters helping each other: looking over some of the threads here it looks like this is a case-by-case specific thing. So when one character has a check (combat or non-combat) other characters at the same location may play cards that add to the check except for; "by-passes" (things that let you ignore the bane entirely), weapons (can't use a weapon on someone else's turn) or if the card is specifically worded to not allow this. IIRC from the rules, the exception to this may be if the bane has some sort of double check needed ("and" instead of "or"). In this case the person who drew the card/who's turn it is can do one of the checks, and then anyone else at the location can do the other check (if the original character doesn't/can't do it). Does that sound right?
You're on the right path but not quite following it straight. The limitation on who can help and who cannot is determined by the cards, not by the location. A character at another location can help someone making a check if a card they have allows this. Blessings can be used on anyone's check for anything at any location, since they help on 'a check' not 'a check at your location' or 'your check'. Weapons can be used only on your check, but there are some weapons that allow you to aid others at other locations but not your own (bows tend to do this), etc. The cards do not specifically disallow things; it's the reverse, they specifically allow things. If a card does not say it does something, then it cannot do it. If a card says it does something, then it can do it.

fh13 wrote:
- Closing locations: This one was really confusing, I looked over the first dozen or so pages here and didn't see anything so apologies if this has been answered before. IIRC from the rules it mentions you can attempt to close a location; after it is out of cards, after defeating a henchman, when someone encounters the villain at another location (am I remembering that right?), or if some special case is met that applies to that location. A location is automatically closed when the villain is defeated there. The question is what happens after the location is closed and what does temporarily closed v. permanently closed mean? From the rules it sounds like when a location is closed any non-villain cards are banished, but then it mentions later that a character can go back to a closed location and continue going through the cards there??? Actually reading through this, in an attempt to answer my own question, is the location permanently closed when a henchman or the villain is defeated there, but only temporarily closed in all other cases?
Temporarily closed is only when someone encounters the villain at another location. When a location is temporarily closed, nothing is done with the cards there, that location just becomes off-limits for the villain to flee to and is not counted for the number of open locations when dealing with the fleeing villain.

All other instances of closing, unless otherwise stated, are permanent closures. There's several instances in which a location can attempt to be or be permanently closed, but regardless of what leads to it, a permanent closure banishes all non-villain and non-henchman cards at the location. If there are no cards left in the location after this banishment, the location is closed and flipped over, and any of the 'when closed' effects kick in.

If there's a villain or henchman at the location when the banishment takes place, the location is not flipped, is not considered closed, but all other cards are removed, leaving only the villain and/or henchmen cards there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Closing a Location Permanently

1) Defeat a Henchman - Then succeed at the closing condition.
- Closing must be done be the encountering hero.
- Trying to close the location is a choice.
- Note this can not be a summoned Henchman.

2) Defeat the Villain
- Automatically closes the location.
- Closing is not a choice
Note this can not be a summoned Villain.

3) If the location deck is empty - Succeed at the closing condition.
- Must be done on your turn.
- Can be done after you explore.
- May only be done once per turn.

In all cases the result is that all cards in the location deck are banished except a Villain.

At three locations, The General Store, The Goblin Fortress, and Junk Beach, boons are added to the locations after they are closed. These boons can be encountered as per the rules. These locations (and perhaps others in the future) are why the rules about exploring at closed locations were included.

Closing a Location Temporarily

1) When a Villain is encountered at a different location, it is possible to close a different location temporarily to prevent his escape to that location.
- Can be done by any hero at a location.
- Only one hero needs to succeed, but all can try if they wish.
- Temporarily closing a location has no effect except to prevent the Villains escape (e.g. you never banish cards from the location deck do to a temporary closing.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Cool... thanks for the help/quick clarifications. Trying it again this weekend w/ another group and this will be useful info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
firedale2002 wrote:
If there's a villain or henchman at the location when the banishment takes place, the location is not flipped, is not considered closed, but all other cards are removed, leaving only the villain and/or henchmen cards there.

Unless I missed something in the rules, the only cards that remain after closure are Villains. I have been banishing henchmen when close conditions are met (usually the case when a Villain flees to a location with a henchman and we defeat the Villain before encountering said henchman).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
BakaMattSu wrote:
firedale2002 wrote:

Unless I missed something in the rules, the only cards that remain after closure are Villains. I have been banishing henchmen when close conditions are met (usually the case when a Villain flees to a location with a henchman and we defeat the Villain before encountering said henchman).

You are correct. The Location only remains open if there is a Villain there. Henchman are irrelevant in this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, my apologies, you are correct. I'll go back an edit. I think I had a brain toot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
So played it again this weekend and it went a bit smoother. There are still a couple of nit-picky questions that came up...

- When you defeat a villain is that the end of your turn (we think the answer is not necessarily)? I know the location is closed but on something like the General Store (IIRC where you add more cards to the location) can the current player discard an appropriate card to continue exploring?

- For the magic cards that say banish if you don't have that particular skill, banishment happens on acquisition right? We would like this to be no but we played as if the answer is yes

One final thing is I thought I read/saw somewhere that you draw up to your hand size at the beginning of your turn, and then again during the reset phase. I went to verify this but couldn't find it, so was I imagining that/given some bad info/getting confused w/ another game?

TIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
So played it again this weekend and it went a bit smoother. There are still a couple of nit-picky questions that came up...

- When you defeat a villain is that the end of your turn (we think the answer is not necessarily)? I know the location is closed but on something like the General Store (IIRC where you add more cards to the location) can the current player discard an appropriate card to continue exploring?

- For the magic cards that say banish if you don't have that particular skill, banishment happens on acquisition right? We would like this to be no but we played as if the answer is yes

One final thing is I thought I read/saw somewhere that you draw up to your hand size at the beginning of your turn, and then again during the reset phase. I went to verify this but couldn't find it, so was I imagining that/given some bad info/getting confused w/ another game?

TIA

Defeating a villain only automatically ends your turn if you just won the game completely. If the villain escaped you can carry on.

Banishment of spells for which you don't have the appropriate skill happens when you cast the spell. So you can still acquire it.

You only draw up to your hand size at the end of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
fh13 wrote:

TIA

Defeating a villain only automatically ends your turn if you just won. Otherwise you can carry on.

To be clear, you're talking about the end of the game here. Defeating te villain if he is able to escape does not end your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
medwards wrote:

Banishment of spells for which you don't have the appropriate skill happens when you cast the spell. So you can still acquire it.

Does that mean anyone can attempt to use a spell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Malacandra wrote:
medwards wrote:

Defeating a villain only automatically ends your turn if you just won. Otherwise you can carry on.

To be clear, you're talking about the end of the game here. Defeating te villain if he is able to escape does not end your turn.

That's what we thought... just wanted to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
medwards wrote:

Yes. If you don't have the necessary skill (Arcane or Divine) you banish the card after resolving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Mundane wrote:
fh13 wrote:
medwards wrote:

Yes. If you don't have the necessary skill (Arcane or Divine) you banish the card after resolving it.

cool That didn't occur to us (must have missed it in the rules)... nice to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.