Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CHAS EPIC BATTLE CRY 150

By Chas 9/13

This is a fan made, not for profit product. All ownership of the game Battle Cry and Battle Cry 150th Anniversary Edition belongs to Hasbro/Avalon Hill. All other Commands & Colors game concepts belong to their author, Richard Borg, except where assigned elsewhere by him.

CONTENTS

EPIC BATTLE CRY 150: Play Rules
EBC150: Game Setup
EBC150: Army Point System
EBC150: Random Terrain Generator (D10)
EBC150: Random Unit Deployment System
EBC 150: Combat Card Rules (Second Deck)
EBC150: Combat Card Contents (Second Deck of 20)

EPIC BATTLE CRY 150 PLAY RULES

These rules are adopted from the Memoir 44 Overlord rules, to provide games using two copies of of Battle Cry 150, or one of the original game and one of the 150 (Second Edition). For this Epic version, all Second Edition rules are used, and supercede First Edition rules.

1. Board Set Up: Place two Battle Cry mapboards side by side so they stretch the long way from left to right. Mark every two sections as one large section (Left Flank, Center, Right Flank). Shuffle the old and new game version decks together. The old deck may be annotated to conform closely to the 150 rules. Without specific scenarios, each side will get a hand of 12 Commaned Cards, and victory will be set at 12 enemy Flags.

2. Although this most simple of all Command & Colors games can be handled by two players per side, the rules will refer to each side’s Commanding General (CG) and Field Generals (FG or Sector Generals) as if a team of four players is present on each side.

3. Each turn, the Commanding General (CG) of the active side may play 1-3 cards total. He must always leave at least one card remaining in his side hand. He may give one card to each FG per turn, or two if they are both relevant sector cards, for the play of one each in the two marked halves of the FG’s sector. Cards that must be played by the CG directly include all Tactics Cards, and all Sector Cards that order units in more than one section.

4. Some cards may only be played directly by the CG; one per turn, which counts in his 3 card maximum play each turn. No more than one may be effect one FG/Section. These include all Tactics Cards, and all Section Cards that activate units in more than one board section.

5. Units may cross section boundaries; being ordered each turn by the FG in whose section they begin the turn.

6. Sector General Initiative Roll: An FG assigned no Command Card during a turn may make an Initiative rull with one die, with the following results:

Infantry: One unit of this type is ordered
Cavalry: One unit of this type is ordered
Artillery: One unit of this type is ordered
Flag: One unit must retreat one hex (or lose a figure if it cannot)
Sabers: One unit must lose one figure

7. After all cards are used, the CG discards them, leaving all face up so they can be seen for possible Counter Attack by the opposing side, and then draws two new cards.

EBC150 GAME SET UP

I. Choose scenario, or an equal Army Point total for each side.
II. Use the Random Terrain Generator (see below) to set up terrain tiles.
III. Physical Army Deployment

A.Strategic Army Deployment: set up your side’s Army units using the army point total, by noting unit section deployment on paper by a section army point subtotal (with any variable strength unit placement also noted, if this option is being used). A minimum of ¼ of the point total (or 30 points if desired for simplicity) must be assigned to each of the three board sections. The rest of the army is allocated to the Reserve. The Reserve may be deployed in one or more board sections as desired. It may start in the first row (friendly board edge) or—on paper—off board as desired, to come in later by individual unit Command Card activation. Write down your Reserve Deployment.

Simplified Strategic Army Deployment Option
If you don’t want to do any writing, simply set up the units behind each section of the board where they are to be deployed, setting Reserves aside. After these sector units are placed (see next step below), place any Onboard Reserves on the rows closest possible to your board edge. Then place any Offboard Reserves behind the sectors in which they are to enter.

B. Tactical Unit Deployment: After each side has written down its Strategic Army Deployment, place each individual unit on the board using the Random Unit Deployment System (see below).

EBC150 ARMY POINT SYSTEM

The point system is a simple way to build a game side army. A Variable Strength Unit Option is given by providing points for individual figure types as well as standard game unit types. The “Army Unit Total” given includes that when using all units from two sets of game figures. (One extra marker should be placed with First Edition artillery units to convert them to Second Edition artillery units, which now take three hits instead of two).

Type Unit Points Figure Points Army Unit Total Total Points

General 5 (5) 6 30 30

Infantry 4 1 20 80 80

Cavalry 6 2 6 36 36

Artillery 9 3 6 54 54

Army Total 200

Standard Corps Organization

To make Army building faster, a standard subunit is provided. We will call it a Corps, although depending on the scale of the battle, it could also be considered a Division or Brigade. This suggested basic building block can be varied as desired.

Standard Corps

Units Points

1 General 5
1 Cavalry 6
1 Artillery 9
3 Infantry 12
TOTAL 32

If used with a full Army, each side Army (2 game sets) is comprised of 6 Corps (192 Points) and 2 extra Infantry Units (8 Points), which comprises the Army Total of 200 Points noted above.

Variable Strength Unit Option

The simplest way to vary Army organization and reflect the historical reality of different sized units without changing any game rules, is to use the individual figure point totals given in that column of the army point table above. If using this option, the following rules apply.

Basic Rules: Each Variable Strength Unit must have a flag. Therefore, for every overstrength unit, you may need to deploy an understrength unit (if using full 200 point armies). Each VSU must have markers showing its original game strength (plus or minus figures to standard strength) for the purposes of using the Rally Command Card to build the unit back up to its original strength.

Overstrength Units: Larger units may be created at game start during Strategic Deployment (see above) by paying the additional individual figure cost. Infantry may add up to 2 additional figures (total six figures). Cavalry may add 1 additional figure (total four), as may artillery (total four). Generals remain at one figure.

Understrength Units: Smaller units may be created by paying the smaller individual figure costs.

EBC150 RANDOM TERRAIN GENERATOR (D10)

If no specific scenario game map is being used, you will make a series of rolls with a ten sided die to determine the composition of each terrain tile placed on the board.

I. Terrain Generation CGs roll for highest number for first placement, then alternate sides. Each side will place five terrain tiles per board section. Start with the Center, and then do each Flank. You have the option, once each terrain tile type is generated, to place your tile in any of the first four rows starting from your friendly board edge (Row 1 is the board edge). No tiles will be placed on the center row (Row Five).

First Terrain Roll Secondary Terrain Roll

1-3: Hill
4-6 : Woods
7-8: Waterway (River) Even: Straight Waterway
Odd: Curved Waterway
9: Homestead/Buildings
10: Miscellaneous
1-2: Rough
3-4: 2-Sided Fence
5-6: Field
7-10: Fieldwork

II. Optional Tile Replacement

After the terrain is down on the entire board, each side may make one tile replacement as follows:

A. Replace a Homestead/Building tile with one Town tile
B. Replace one waterway tile with one Bridge, Bend, or End tile
C. Replace one 2-Sided Fence with one 1-Sided or 3-Sided Fence tile
D. Replace one Woods tile with one Orchard tile

General Rules: All waterways or fences in one section must be connected to all others, and may be connected to those in other sections.

EBC150 RANDOM UNIT DEPLOYMENT SYSTEM

General Rules: After each side has made its Strategical Army Deployment as noted above, by indicating its section and reserve deployment either physically or on paper, make this tactical deployment for each unit on the board. General figures may be deployed alone with separate deployment rolls or with units using their unit’s roll. CGs roll for highest rank die face in this order low to high: infantry, cavalry, artillery, sabers, flag to make the first placement, and then alternate rolls afterwards. Place all units in the Center section, then each flank separately.

Individual Unit Die Rolls: CGs chooses one unit in the section being deployed. While the player chooses the unit deployment order, the row it will start on is randomized. Roll the game die with the following results:

Infantry: Row One (friendly board edge)
Cavalry or Artillery: Row Two (one row up from board edge)
Sabers: Row Three
Flag: Row Four

Note that no units will be placed on Row Five, the center row.

Placement Alternatives: Units may always be placed behind the row rolled (closer to the friendly board edge), but not forward of the row rolled. Units may only be placed forward (rows 1-4 only) if the board row rolled is completely filled.

Onboard Reserve Units: After the regular unit placement, all Reserve units for that sector Strategically deployed onboard at start are placed in Row 1 on the friendly board edge (or forward if filled).

Offboard Reserve Units: After regular and onboard reserve unit placement, any Reserve units Strategically noted as still to be placed may be ordered by Command Cards individually during the course of the game in the board section as noted. The disadvantage of late placement is balanced by the element of surprise. For this reason, Offboard Reserves should not be placed behind their board sectors where they can be seen by the enemy! Entering Offboard Reserves take a full turn, counting the Row 1 entry hex as the first movement space.

EBC150 COMBAT CARD RULES

The second deck of Combat Cards (CCs), as opposed to the first deck of Command Cards (CMD) has rules as those for Memoir 44. However, the cards are almost all different, reflecting a very different historical period. A few concepts from other C&C games appear.

Shuffle the Combat Card Deck and place it near the Command Card deck. The two types of cards are never shuffled together.

1. Each Commanding General starts with one Combat Card. Keep your CCs separate from your CMD hand. Cards from the second deck are not part of the CMD hand and do not affect hand size for card play purposes. There is no limit to the number of CCs that can be held or played at the same time.

2. CCs are either played on ordered units or specify their play conditions. Some will be played during enemy turns. Cards that increase battle dice rolled can be cumulative if played at the same time.

3. Draw a new Command Card at the end of a turn when you have played a Skirmish/Scout card (activating one unit only). You may either choose one of two cards drawn to keep, as the CMD directs, or draw a CC.

4. Once played, CCs are placed in the CC discard pile. Reshuffle discards if the CC draw pile is depleted. You also reshuffle ALL CC cards (draws and discards) if the General Advance/Battle Cry Command Card is played.

5. Cards specific to one side are noted as “USA/CSA ONLY!” The other side cannot play them. However, the non-using side may hold them indefinitely so that they cannot be played by the user side.

EBC150 COMBAT CARDS (20)

These cards follow the Memoir 44 Combat Card rules as noted above, but are different in their effects. The card titles and descriptions follow, so that you can make up your own physical cards. Their use is optional. They are numbered for quick identification only; the numbers have no effect on game play.

1. BLACK TROOPS *USA ONLY!*
One Infantry unit attacked by an adjacent enemy unit may ignore one Flag.
(Play during enemy turn).

2. REPEATING RIFLES *USA ONLY!*
One ordered Infantry unit may fire at 4-3-3-2 (instead of 4-3-2-1).

3. NAVAL GUNFIRE *USA ONLY!*
At the start of your turn, make one regular artillery fire (5-4-3-2-1) from any one waterway hex (except Bridge).

4. SOUTHERN PARTISANS *CSA ONLY!*
You may cancel the effects of one enemy card being played against you.

5. SOUTHERN PARTISANS *CSA ONLY!*
You may cancel the effects of one enemy card being played against you.

6. DIXIE RESISTANCE *CSA ONLY!*
One of your units retreating due to an attacker’s Flag rolled against it may recover a lost figure (up to the unit’s original strength).

7. DISMOUNTED CAVALRY ACTION
One ordered Cavalry unit may fire at 3-2-1.

8. LONG RANGE ARTILLERY BOMBARDMENT
At the start of your turn, target two enemy units (not unattached Generals) which are not adjacent to your own units. Roll one die against each, ignoring any terrain battle reduction. You hit on the Unit’s Symbol or Sabers. Flags may not be ignored.

9. FORTIFY ADVANCE
Place a spare Fieldwork token on any ordered unit’s hex (except an unattached General) after it has moved and battled.

10. RETIRE
Play after the enemy declares an attack by an adjacent enemy infantry or artillery unit. Pull your defending unit back up to 3 hexes, ignoring terrain movement restrictions (except prohibited hexes). The opponent’s unit loses it opportunity to attack.

11. BAYONETS!
One ordered infantry unit may roll an extra die in an adjacent attack.

12. LOCAL TERRAIN KNOWLEDGE
One ordered unit (except an unattached General) may move one extra hex.

13. PASSAGE OF LINES
One ordered infantry unit may move up to two hexes, and mauy pass through a friendly unit (or unattached general without it attaching).

14. WAH-HOO!/HURRAH!
One ordered Infantry unit that destroys or retreats an adjacent enemy unit may move into that defender’s hex. If you have a general attached to your affected unit, it may also attack any adjacent enemy unit, and if the enemy is destroyed or retreated, enter its former hex.

15. ELITE OUTFIT
One of your units may Ambush an ordered adjacent enemy unit after it declares an attack. Instead, you attack first. The enemy may attack second, if it is not destroyed or retreated.

16. ROMANTIC DALLIANCE
Cancel the order given to one unattached enemy general.

17. DRUNKEN OFFICER
Subtract one battle die from an ordered enemy unit after it declares its attck.

18. TELEGRAPH
The enemy Commanding General must replace one Command Card played with another if possible. If not, the effects of the card are cancelled. The original card goes back into his hand.
(Play during enemy turn after card play is declared, but before any action is taken).

19. SPY
Play at the start of your own turn before any other activity. You may look at half of the enemy’s Command Card hand (not Combat Cards) rounded down. Choose cards to see at random.

20. RAILROAD
One of your ordered units on your board edge (Row 1) may use its movement to move to an unoccupied Row 1 space in another section. Or, one Off board Reserve Unit not yet entered may move to any unoccupied Row 1 hex in any section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty interesting set of rules...thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O Miller
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can't wait to sit down with a cup of coffee and read over this in more detail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these EBC150 COMBAT CARDS (20) homemade or do them come with the EBC150 game?
If homemade, do you have a file for them?

When rolling for terrain..... how do you place the river tiles?
How do you make sure it will be a river and not just one tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rene,

Thanks for the questions. The cards are home made, and everything I have so far is above (I'm very low tech) except for the exact wording on the original edition card deck I used to convert them to BC150. According to another poster, Richard Borg has his own BC Combat Cards, but doesn't want to put them out there yet in case he can publish them later. So although I'd love to see his stuff, I finally got tired of waiting for them. My card design philosophy is somewhat different than his, as many of his Combat Cards (Urban Combat and Winter Combat in M44) give you greater control by duplicating what some Command Cards do, while I prefer to have them offer different options.

I own and play all the published RB C&C games and their expansions. Soon after Battle Cry came out, I played it with minis at a con event hosted by Mr. Borg, who is a very nice and patient guy. Fairly recently, I played the successful Japanese C-in-C at his con event in a yet unpublished M44 scenario for Operation Olympic, the hypothetical invasion of Japan at the end of WWII.

The Southern Partisans card reflects in a small way his Spanish Guerrila counters in C&C Napoleonics (Spanish Expansion). The Passage of Lines card partly reflects one of the C&C Epic Ancients cards that is called something like 'Open Up and Pass Through,' and also reflects a desperately needed evolution in ACW tactics. In my own 54mm minis rules, only certain Zouave units can do it! I'll be wargaming the Crimean war for the first time soon and experimenting with letting the French do it there. I wonder if Ellsworth's Zouave Cadets, who gave an exhibit not far from where I live just before the war on their national tour, could do it, as they specialized in French Light Infantry tactics?

Some people seem to have an Epic BC Card Deck, but I don't know if its official, or where to get it. Anybody know? Although I don't play Vassal, I did copy the two Epic scenarios available in this 'Variants' section for Gettysburg (seems to be Second Day) and Pea Ridge, which I'll be playing soon.

The Waterways (Rivers) are placed just like other tiles during random terrain generation. Think of short rivers as small creeks. Notice the rule that says they must all be connected in one sector, and may be connected to those of other sectors. There is also the wrinkle of their placement for the *USA Only* Naval Gunfire Combat Card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jon...15 edits?cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Priest
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great. Many thanks for sharing. You have clearly worked very hard on this. I'll be making good use of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RECENT PLAYTESTING NOTES:

Having played two games with 150 points and one with all 200 successfully, we are now trying our second 200 point game. I'm trying to vary my deployment all the time. These have been with only two players, who can certainly handle their side by themselves, although it would be fun to add the extra level of command playing teams.

I've enjoyed playing the two "Epic" scenarios posted here under 'Variants;' Gettysburg Day Two and Pea Ridge, although we did not use my Combat Cards for them.

Let us know how your games go if you try all or parts of the system out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.