Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on Viewing Opponents Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Blargh
msg tools
I was curious about the possible rules and etiquitte when it comes to an opponents cards. Are you allowed to view your oppoents cards once its on the table or can you not until the card affects you in some way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can look at/read them whenever you want. You have to be able to check his point value is correct and know what his cards do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a tourney I went to where the norm was that before the match each player gave their opponent a quick run down of what they were using. If someone wasn't sure what something did they could read the card or the player would read the card aloud to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Logan8 wrote:
There was a tourney I went to where the norm was that before the match each player gave their opponent a quick run down of what they were using. If someone wasn't sure what something did they could read the card or the player would read the card aloud to them.

This, especially with the new ships hitting. There are people who have never heard of certain cards. It is just common courtesy to inform them of what cards are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the rules have been covered I'll mention etiquette.

Always ask to read the cards. And if your oponent asks to look at your cards, allow them to.

Kinda goes for every game really, don't just assume and grab people's cards, ask and allow them to present the card to you for viewing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:
As the rules have been covered I'll mention etiquette.

Always ask to read the cards. And if your oponent asks to look at your cards, allow them to.

Kinda goes for every game really, don't just assume and grab people's cards, ask and allow them to present the card to you for viewing.

As others have said--rules-wise, it's open information.

Etiquette-wise, I don't even wait for my opponent to ask. Before I so much as pick up an asteroid, I always run my list down for my opponent, and present any interactions or rules issues that might be a little unusual or controversial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Before every game I'll ask if the other player wants to switch tables sides for a bit to look over each others upgrades. Quick, simple and we dont need to add more time reading off text of cards we probably already know. Plus a visual reference is easier to remember than listing stuff off aloud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I always desribe my fleet to my opponent before the match and then pass over cards that they havn't seen or arn't sure of the description or action of the card. I don't generialy describe combo's that may be present in the cards. I think thats live and learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Locally, we make a point of listing off we've each brought, but not going into detail unless the other player asks "what's that do?"

Sometimes you do want to see the exact wording on the card, and then I'll either ask them to read it aloud, or - for a couple players who have challenges with reading it word-for-word - ask to see it.

Certainly one should never just grab it. While the game information on the card is public knowledge, the card itself is that person's property, and that fact must be respected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
On either side of the equation, be polite. I think any more conversation on the subject is...well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.