Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Bordelon
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi All,

I have no Dungeon exploration/fighting games in my collection, and am looking at what the best FIRST/GATEWAY dungeon game would be. I say Gateway, because the level of gaming I and my gaming group are at are currently in the light-medium weight ~1.5-2.5 range.

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions!

Thanks,
Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) really isn't that complicated. are there a lot of little/fiddly rules, sure, but still fairly simple. I prefer light to medium games and I was able to enjoy it.

Actually I'll go ahead and say that almost all of the popular dungeon explore games are not THAT complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Run has a lot of dice rolling. You can play it purely co-op at first. Then add the semi-coperative elements later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the games above Pathfinder Adventure Card game is a good choice too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever play with kids, don't overlook Dungeon!. Most adults will probably find it too simplistic, but it's a very kid-friendly intro to the genre.

Otherwise, I'll +1 the Adventure System games recommendation, or HeroQuest if you manage to score a copy at a yard sale or thrift shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics methinks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also try Super Dungeon Explore if you're not looking for a co-op game. Some assembly required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I second that suggestion.These games have simple rules and are IMHO as good as dungeon exploring with simple rules can be.

Another game you could consider is Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord. Small, cheap and also fairly simple rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Mice and Mystics: it has a very light mechanic (a little too light for me, actually); it's fun, VERY nice looking, and it has a beautiful storytellin mechanic that will appeal anyone (granted they are interested in such thing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Agent
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

+1 - these games were my family's gateway into dungeon delve boardgames. The rules and mechanics were easy enough to learn, even for children who were 10 and 9 at the time. The fact that it is fully coop makes it a bit easier to play than some of the others where someone has to play the 'bad guys'.

We tend to play other games more often now (like Descent, which is one of those games where one person plays the bad guy), but I think the D&D games are a great introduction to the style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bordelon
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all for the suggestions! I didn't have the D&D Adventure games on my radar before, but now I will add them and check them out. I had Mice & Mystics on there, and it does seem like a great family storytelling game, but I will have to wait a few years for my son to be old enough to start playing with (he is 1), but then I think it would be a great option!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DungeonQuest (third edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.