Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
93 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

A Study in Emerald» Forums » General

Subject: Essen? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the game be available, and at what price - in Essen?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wells

Gilbert
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will BGG have copy at BGG.CON for their library?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Malte
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Treefrog Page:

A Study in Emerald Direct Orders

There have been a number of people who missed the Kickstarter campaign asking if A Study in Emerald will be available to purchase. The answer is yes. We intend to sell further copies of the game direct to the public via this website. There will also be copies available for sale at Essen. Hopefully the game will be available from this website in November.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
We will have copies at Essen available to purchase and I will be passing some copies on to BGG.

Martin
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Heimann
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Teddy Riot
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game rocks.
PLEASE save a copy until saturday as this year I can`t attend earlier !!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandru Stanuta
Romania
Berceni
ILFOV
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog1 wrote:
We will have copies at Essen available to purchase and I will be passing some copies on to BGG.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Can you tell me at what price will it be available? I want to ask a friend to get me one, as I won't attend Essen this year.

Thanks,
Alex
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog1 wrote:
We will have copies at Essen available to purchase and I will be passing some copies on to BGG.

Martin


Martin, please tell me that KS backers will get their copies first. For those of us who stumped up our cash back in March, to see someone pay for the goods at Essen before I get my copy will result in a serious sense of humour failure.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Frog1 wrote:
We will have copies at Essen available to purchase and I will be passing some copies on to BGG.

Martin


Martin, please tell me that KS backers will get their copies first. For those of us who stumped up our cash back in March, to see someone pay for the goods at Essen before I get my copy will result in a serious sense of humour failure.


+1
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Frog1 wrote:
We will have copies at Essen available to purchase and I will be passing some copies on to BGG.

Martin


Martin, please tell me that KS backers will get their copies first. For those of us who stumped up our cash back in March, to see someone pay for the goods at Essen before I get my copy will result in a serious sense of humour failure.


How does that bother you?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And so we arrive at the "KS is not a pre-order system" debate for yet another KS game project. shake
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Diamond Geezer wrote:
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Frog1 wrote:
We will have copies at Essen available to purchase and I will be passing some copies on to BGG.

Martin


Martin, please tell me that KS backers will get their copies first. For those of us who stumped up our cash back in March, to see someone pay for the goods at Essen before I get my copy will result in a serious sense of humour failure.


How does that bother you?


Because if it happens I wont back a KS Treefrog project again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
The Diamond Geezer wrote:
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Frog1 wrote:
We will have copies at Essen available to purchase and I will be passing some copies on to BGG.

Martin


Martin, please tell me that KS backers will get their copies first. For those of us who stumped up our cash back in March, to see someone pay for the goods at Essen before I get my copy will result in a serious sense of humour failure.


How does that bother you?


Because if it happens I wont back a KS Treefrog project again.


The kickstarter said it would sell at Essen. It did not promise that KS copies would be given earlier.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Big Bad Lex wrote:
The Diamond Geezer wrote:
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Frog1 wrote:
We will have copies at Essen available to purchase and I will be passing some copies on to BGG.

Martin


Martin, please tell me that KS backers will get their copies first. For those of us who stumped up our cash back in March, to see someone pay for the goods at Essen before I get my copy will result in a serious sense of humour failure.


How does that bother you?


Because if it happens I wont back a KS Treefrog project again.


The kickstarter said it would sell at Essen. It did not promise that KS copies would be given earlier.


True. The delivery was also slated for October 2013. If it ships in October then no one can be pissed, even if they get theirs after Essen. If it ships after October, then there is reason for people to be mad.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
The kickstarter said it would sell at Essen. It did not promise that KS copies would be given earlier.


The kickstarter said:

Quote:
We hope to have the game ready for October 2013. Treefrog will print a number of additional copies to sell at the Essen Games Fair and directly from our website. Please note that everybody will receive the same version of the game...


So if it available at Essen, it is available to be shipped to KS backers.

If KS backers receive their copies after non-backers, I can promise I will never back another MW project, like Nick.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geocentrix wrote:
lfisher wrote:
The kickstarter said it would sell at Essen. It did not promise that KS copies would be given earlier.


The kickstarter said:

Quote:
We hope to have the game ready for October 2013. Treefrog will print a number of additional copies to sell at the Essen Games Fair and directly from our website. Please note that everybody will receive the same version of the game...


So if it available at Essen, it is available to be shipped to KS backers.

If KS backers receive their copies after non-backers, I can promise I will never back another MW project, like Nick.


Again, why? Clearly it will take longer to get to some backers than it will to get copies at Essen.
(And it is clearly important for Treefrog to have games at Essen)
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Then in future I will keep my money in my pocket and let other people give Treefrog an interest free loan for 7 months.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Then in future I will keep my money in my pocket and let other people give Treefrog an interest free loan for 7 months.


The whole point of KS is to help get a game funded so it will be published. If this game was not KSed, Treefrog would never have had the money to make it. The reward of KS is getting the game made. IMHO.
22 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Then in future I will keep my money in my pocket and let other people give Treefrog an interest free loan for 7 months.
Do you not understand the principles of backing a KS project? You have used sarcasm, but have exactly described the principle: you give them your dosh, they use it to deliver their project and as a reward for supporting them they give you a reward. If you thought it was an exclusive pre-order system you were barking up the wrong tree.

EDIT: ha! ninja'd
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Do you not understand the principles of backing a KS project?


By all means keep telling me I'm missing the point of KS, I don't care. I think the arrangement to serve walk up purchasers before serving long time investors is inequitable and a blinkered business model.

I 'understand' that if I had kept hold of my money I could get the game at the same time if not earlier than those who invested the same amount of money 7 months ago. Whether I 'understand' the principles of KS or not this is still a shit deal and one I'm not willing to participate in again. If you like this arrangement then good for you. I don't and I raise a voice to indicate so.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
...as a reward for supporting them they give you a reward


And exactly what is the reward? KS backers get exactly the same game, as MW stated in the campaign blurb:

Quote:
Please note that everybody will receive the same version of the game, with the exception of those people who manage to snag signed copies


So, despite your protests to the contrary, KS *has* been used as a pre-order system in this instance, in order to reduce Treefrog's risk. I have no problem with that, but I'm not buying into the trite "it wouldn't have been published without the Kickstarter campaign" argument.

Basic rule of business: investors (backers in this instance) should receive their goods before other parties.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geocentrix wrote:
So, despite your protests to the contrary, KS *has* been used as a pre-order system in this instance, in order to reduce Treefrog's risk. I have no problem with that, but I'm not buying into the trite "it wouldn't have been published without the Kickstarter campaign" argument.

Basic rule of business: investors (backers in this instance) should receive their goods before other parties.

To understand this correctly, you would prefer it if Treefrog forgo selling their game at the biggest European game fair of the year?

That seems a little vindictive to a small UK boardgame publisher to me.

Yes, I am a backer and dont mind as long as I get the game in a timely manner. Treefrog selling games at Essen does not effect this IMO.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:
That seems a little vindictive to a small UK boardgame publisher to me


Who happened to raise £124k for one project. Not exactly small.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:

To understand this correctly, you would prefer it if Treefrog forgo selling their game at the biggest European game fair of the year?

That seems a little vindictive to a small UK boardgame publisher to me.

Yes, I am a backer and dont mind as long as I get the game in a timely manner. Treefrog selling games at Essen does not effect this IMO.


I would prefer to have known in March that I didn't have to pay back then but could have waited until October and got the same product for the same price and quite probably before you.

Kickstarting this game was not for funds, and that's frequently the case. Check out Infamy to see the pretence of their incentive structure collapse as they failed to achieve funding but revealed that the game and all the stretch goals were being published anyway. It would have been the same here. There was no benefit to investing, quite the contrary, there are two disincentives;

1/ Paying months in advance
2/ Getting it later than some non investors.

This is an insane way to run a business and there is nothing vindictive in pointing this out. You are obviously happy with this arrangement, well I'm not.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
RAVENBURG wrote:

To understand this correctly, you would prefer it if Treefrog forgo selling their game at the biggest European game fair of the year?

That seems a little vindictive to a small UK boardgame publisher to me.

Yes, I am a backer and dont mind as long as I get the game in a timely manner. Treefrog selling games at Essen does not effect this IMO.


I would prefer to have known in March that I didn't have to pay back then but could have waited until October and got the same product for the same price and quite probably before you.

Kickstarting this game was not for funds, and that's frequently the case. Check out Infamy to see the pretence of their incentive structure collapse as they failed to achieve funding but revealed that the game and all the stretch goals were being published anyway. It would have been the same here. There was no benefit to investing, quite the contrary, there are two disincentives;

1/ Paying months in advance
2/ Getting it later than some non investors.

This is an insane way to run a business and there is nothing vindictive in pointing this out. You are obviously happy with this arrangement, well I'm not.


It was always intended to be at Essen. No one was getting it much before Essen, so if you were going to Essen you could have waited.

Without funding they might have pushed it to Essen 2014 or something.

It is generally a positive that Martin/Treefrog are not "running a business".
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a dumb opinion, but let him not back future Treefrog Kickstarters, they are going to do fine without him.

Let's just let this very silly conversation die.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.