Pippin the Bold
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Just started playing ASLSK2 and the more I get into the game, the more I realise how excellent it is.

Anyway a question: do self rallying units get a -1 DRM if in woods or buildings? The rules say that other rallying units do but what about self rallying units?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Do self rallying units get a -1 DRM if in woods/building
Since I'm pretty sure that the +4 DRM for DM, which is written about in the same way as the -1 DRM, applies when self rallying, the -1 DRM also applies.

Otherwise DM counters on SMCs would be nearly meaningless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris van Wyk
South Africa
Stellenridge, Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

As you know, if the unit is underneath DM counter you add the +4 DM DRM to your roll. Now:
-The +4 DM Counter applies to both MMC and SMC

Also
- A unit that attempts self-rally always adds a +1 DRM regardless if it's a MMC or SMC to the roll
- A unit that rallies in a woods/building hex adds a -1 DRM regardless of being a MMC or SMC to the roll.

Hope this helps

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pippin the Bold
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replys, it confirms what I assumed.

Pete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cryophobia wrote:
- A unit that rallies in a woods/building hex adds a -1 DRM regardless of being a MMC or SMC to the roll.

This is errata then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
ekted wrote:
cryophobia wrote:

This is errata then.

The rules are correct as printed, so I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from.

Rule 3.1(e) tells you when you can attempt self-rally, and that self-rallies always incur a +1 DRM.

Rule 3.1(f) tells you how to resolve all rally attempts (so it applies to self-rally as well as normal rally): adding +4 DRM for DM and -1 DRM for a woods or building hex. The term "unit" is used throughout this rule, so it applies to both SMCs and MMCs, both of which are defined as units in 1.2.1 and 1.2.2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. 3.1 states that steps a-g are done in order. (e) is clearly self rallies, and (f) is clearly leaders rallying other units. I don't even think there's any wording there that can be interpretted any other way even if you stretch it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Jim Cote wrote:
I disagree. 3.1 states that steps a-g are done in order. (e) is clearly self rallies, and (f) is clearly leaders rallying other units. I don't even think there's any wording there that can be interpretted any other way even if you stretch it.

Ah... now I understand the problem.

I agree with your interpretation of the rules as they are printed (and the ASLSK #3 rules are the same way), but, regardless of this, you cannot treat (e) and (f) as independent activities. If you try to do this, then you have to conclude that the +4 DM DRM and the –1 woods/building DRM do not apply to self-rallies, because they are mentioned only in (f) and not in (e), and THAT is dead wrong! In fact, you could never do a successful self-rally at all, because (e) does not tell you how to resolve it.

Had I been aware of this problem back when MMP was asking for input about what things needed to be fixed in the ASLSK #3 rules, I certainly would have added it to my list. So it is not officially errata at the moment, but it should be.

The ASL Advanced Sequence of Play (ASOP) does not have these as two separate steps, and, in fact, does not even require self-rallies to be performed first other than simply saying that the "First ATTACKER MMC Rally attempt ... may be Self-Rally" (referring to the ATTACKER's one bonus self-rally).

This is another ASL to ASLSK translation problem. ASLSK combines actual rules with the sequence of play, and the rules thus ended up split apart in a way that was not intended. The ASL ASOP simply tells you when to rally units, and then refers you to the separate rules that tell you how to rally units, so the problem doesn't occur there.

To play the game correctly, you must apply all the conditions of (f) to (e) as well: roll DR =< morale to rally, +4 DM DRM, –1 woods/buildings DRM, casualty reduction on original DR 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they should have described the rally process in detail in (e), then in (f) said, "works the same as (e)". I had the same question as the OP when I read this section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Does a leader who rolls a natural 12 on self-rally suffer casualty reduction, i.e. is he eliminated? I couldn't figure out how casualty reduction applied to leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
A broken leader who rolls an original DR 12 on a self rally, or even on a regular rally, does indeed suffer casualty reduction. This results in a wound, which might be a fatal (the leader is eliminated), or it might be a light wound (the leader survives but is marked with a Wound counter), depending upon the wound severity dr.

The explanation of how to handle SMCs that suffer casualty reduction is found in the two paragraphs labelled "K/#:" in the middle of page 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.