Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you may want to mention what kind of booster box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lj1983 wrote:
Then you would, know what crap it is.:whistle:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taco good
msg tools
lj1983 wrote:

We are kinda new but I would assume M14 and Theros would be the best to buy booster boxes right now. Those cards would have the highest trade value/sale for cards we might not need correct?

We are trying to build a standard deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacosrgood wrote:
lj1983 wrote:

We are kinda new but I would assume M14 and Theros would be the best to buy booster boxes right now. Those cards would have the highest trade value/sale for cards we might not need correct?

So, Magic the Gathering then. Might want to be more specific as to which game. There are many collectable card games out there competing with MTG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacosrgood wrote:
lj1983 wrote:

I would go with Theros and trade now while the most expensive cards have the best value. You won't be able to get enough from a single booster box if you split it among three people though.

(Also, I was quite sure from the original post that the OP was talking about Magic. There aren't CCG's that compete with it among serious gamers.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
Why are you trying to build a standard deck? For playing against each other? For playing at Friday Night Magic? Those two have very different paths you should take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taco good
msg tools
lipman wrote:
Why are you trying to build a standard deck? For playing against each other? For playing at Friday Night Magic? Those two have very different paths you should take.

So we should stick with the cube for practicing the game? How do we study up and figure out drafts? It seems the people that play a ton already know enough about the cards to build draft decks that do well.

Our goal is to not get owned at drafts. Right now I feel like its the blind leading the blind because we both suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a cube, just keep playing that for now. The best way to improve is experience. I also highly recommend the Limited Resources podcast at lrcast.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taco good
msg tools
Yeah we have about 600 cards played last night. Friend complained of ending up with crappy cards or lacking the ability to build a decent deck from what we have. But the cards are all from the last 2 years of magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
If your goal is to get good at drafting, then drafting against each other isn't going to help. You need to draft against people that are better than you, and watch what they do. Talk to them about card evaluation and such. Constructed is a much different can of worms than draft, and the card values can vary wildly.
I second the Limited Resources podcast recommendation. If you have money to burn, going to Magic Online and playing in some drafts there is a fantastic way to get better (as you can play however often you want), but it gets very costly very quickly.

You can also check out draft.bestiaire.org to practice draft against AI opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Another, more general option about getting good at the game itself (which you can then adopt to the metagame environment of drafts) is to pick up Magic on Steam or Xbox and play a bunch of online games where it goes super fast, the stakes don't matter, and you can focus on hand management, timing, and counter-tactics and not worry about deckbuilding or anything like that. I have found, in years of CCG and LCG play that the best opponents are ones that can win even with mediocre decks - so in the draft environment, even if you pull crap cards, you can still win if you understand subtleties of play itself.

(This is, in fact, my main gripe with M:TG these days and one of the reasons why I have moved on to LCG's like Netrunner - the metagame is so heavily focused on card knowledge, and purchasing and obtaining the elite rares, but in an environment where there are thousands upon thousands of cards to know, and the only way to know them is a giant $$$ investment, the barrier to entry for new players like taco is quite daunting. Comparatively, I've evangelized ten or fifteen new people into Netrunner simply because of the lower card pool and the 3-copy of every card expansion format.)

Anyhow... good luck with your Magic games! Above all else, you should be focusing on enjoying the game and having fun, rather than on winning. Once you've figured that out, you'll start winning too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.