Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Poropat
United States
Lynbrook
New York
flag msg tools
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/145632/nfl-game-day

Has anyone played it? I'm curious how people feel about it compared to 1st and Goal. I haven't played it myself, but from what I can tell its exactly like 1st and Goal except for a couple of differences.

1. Instead of rolling dice based on the plays picked, NFL gameday just gives a set number of yards gained or lost based ont he cards. I would assume that takes away from the game a bit, but I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks

2. I believe, but I'm not certain, that the difference between the 32 NFL teams is purely aesthetic, where in 1st and Goal each team has different strengths and weaknesses.

3. The NFL license.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lorino
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
In Memory of Our Loving Son and Hero, William Lorino.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this at Target and wondered the same thing......I hope someone can respond to your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have trouble believing a licensed game with no acknowledged designer could be that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played NFL Gameday. I own 1st & Goal and I can tell, you that I think that it generally "feels" like real football. However, completely ignores incomplete passes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scoota75 wrote:
I saw this at Target and wondered the same thing......I hope someone can respond to your question.

I saw this and RISK Battlefield Rogue at Target as well... I ended up going Rogue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poropat
United States
Lynbrook
New York
flag msg tools
joe_salamone wrote:
I've never played NFL Gameday. I own 1st & Goal and I can tell, you that I think that it generally "feels" like real football. However, completely ignores incomplete passes.

I could be wrong. But I assumed that rolling an "X" on the play die meant the pass was incomplete, or that the run was stuffed at the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zorion825 wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

I could be wrong. But I assumed that rolling an "X" on the play die meant the pass was incomplete, or that the run was stuffed at the line.

You are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Havox wrote:
Zorion825 wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

You are correct.

I don't have the rules in front of me, but I thought an X just negated the other dice and made the play "no gain" whether it is a pass or a run. If so, I would interpret this as a completed pass for zero yards as opposed to an incomplete pass. In any event, there usually would not be enough "X" results during the game to simulate the percentage of incomplete passes in a real football game. I haven't played this in awhile, but that's the way I remember interpreting it. In fact, I'm pretty sure there are one or more threads on the 1st & Goal page where people suggested alternate rules to simulate realistic pass completion percentages.

I really need to dig this out and play it again soon . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.