Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played Risk: Legacy. Is the concept you play through the game then that's it? No way to restart/add expansions?

What do you do with the game when you're done, then?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing you do with every game? Play it? The thing about Legacy games is that they start out as very simple--one might even say boring--games. Then new twists and mechanics are gradually integrated that turn the game into a highly personalized and extremely engaging game that you can play over an over. The game doesn't end when you're done opening envelopes--it's just beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Same thing you do with every game? Play it? The thing about Legacy games is that they start out as very simple--one might even say boring--games. Then new twists and mechanics are gradually integrated that turn the game into a highly personalized and extremely engaging game that you can play over an over. The game doesn't end when you're done opening envelopes--it's just beginning.

That's what I was curious about. The description gave me the impression it "ends" at some point, and by then you couldn't trade/sell it/whatever.

But as long as it continues to be playable, that's cool!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:

That's what I was curious about. The description gave me the impression it "ends" at some point, and by then you couldn't trade/sell it/whatever.

But as long as it continues to be playable, that's cool!...

Playable, yes. At the end of a Risk: Legacy campaign (and presumably SeaFall), you are left with a completely playable board game that you have customized along the way.

You will have a very hard time selling/trading a used copy of Risk: Legacy, because most of the appeal of the game is customizing your game. I don't think anybody would want to buy a copy of a game where other players have already marked up the board, opened packets, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you can keep playing it, great! I was afraid the only option would be to toss it out once you were done!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Chase
United States
Elma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
As long as you can keep playing it, great! I was afraid the only option would be to toss it out once you were done!...

Yeah no worries about that. It becomes a unique board/ game experience to you and those who have played with you. Also you will have some great stories to talk about together as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The experience is quite enjoyable as you work through opening all the packets and such. After finally fulfilling win conditions, though, Risk Legacy has not been pulled out again in our group of five. We had a blast playing through the 13 games it took to determine an overall winner, but little desire to revisit our customized world since. Your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
larryjrice wrote:
The experience is quite enjoyable as you work through opening all the packets and such. After finally fulfilling win conditions, though, Risk Legacy has not been pulled out again in our group of five. We had a blast playing through the 13 games it took to determine an overall winner, but little desire to revisit our customized world since. Your mileage may vary.

That's because the game is, well, Risk. One hopes that Seafall will be interesting enough as a game on its own merits to warrant continued play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:

DOn't open the "Do Not Open. Ever" envelope. Rumour has it that a very few copies have a card in there that instructs you to cut the board into a dozen pieces.

Or I may have dreamed that.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larryjrice wrote:

I'd say that 13 plays of Risk is pretty darn good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:

I'd say that 13 plays of Risk is pretty darn good!

Agreed...although I must admit that I was happy that a friend bought the game instead of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ostadan wrote:
larryjrice wrote:

That's because the game is, well, Risk. One hopes that Seafall will be interesting enough as a game on its own merits to warrant continued play.

Yeah, the point of 4x games is to grow and build an empire...it would be lame to stop playing once your empire was finally built! Whats the point of building it if you can't play it?!

I held off on Risk:Legacy, but I love the customization aspect...I think it will be awesome on a 4x game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikola Botica
Croatia
N/A
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess it's ok if you play with the same group.I don't know if people who haven't played while the map was being 'customized' would enjoy it as much as the ones that played from beginning.
But it's only one small mechanic influencing first 10ish plays.After that it all comes to how good the rest of the game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, if I even got the basic number of campaign plays in a game like this I would be over the moon.

I bough Risk Legacy a good year and a half ago, and have never played it. Never found the right group to even start it with; games clubs often have an ethic of demanding a new game every week, so the concept of playing a board game 10 times in a row is unheard of.

The ideal is a small group of friends/family who are willing to come back to a game every month... a fantasy I am yet to realize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
....games clubs often have an ethic of demanding a new game every week, so the concept of playing a board game 10 times in a row is unheard of.

We played it over the course of about nine months, playing roughly every 3 weeks. Early fast games we'd sometimes play 2 on the night. I don't think we ever played it week after week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
MrMT wrote:
....games clubs often have an ethic of demanding a new game every week, so the concept of playing a board game 10 times in a row is unheard of.

We played it over the course of about nine months, playing roughly every 3 weeks. Early fast games we'd sometimes play 2 on the night. I don't think we ever played it week after week.

Hats off to ya. I would love to find a group like this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Playable, yes. At the end of a Risk: Legacy campaign (and presumably SeaFall), you are left with a completely playable board game that you have customized along the way.

And without any of the customization mechanics that made it worth playing in the first place.

Campaign game = cool.

Campaign you can only play once and then have to buy a new set = gimmicky jerk money grab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Vance
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:

And without any of the customization mechanics that made it worth playing in the first place.

Campaign game = cool.

Campaign you can only play once and then have to buy a new set = gimmicky jerk money grab.

"have" is definitely your opinion. And it does != gimmicky jerk money grab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Stu Holttum wrote:

You're UK, so if you're in Essex....you have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
MrMT wrote:
Stu Holttum wrote:

You're UK, so if you're in Essex....you have!

Great offer... But am in surrey.

Still, this thread has inspired me to try again. I want to find out what's in the envelope! (No spoilers please...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate Risk Legacy because the owner has the power to create a world that serves them. Pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokhuah wrote:
I hate Risk Legacy because the owner has the power to create a world that serves them. Pass.

Sorry, owner of what? The physical copy? Because it seems like it's usually the game winner who gets to make new additions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Chase
United States
Elma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Tokhuah wrote:

Sorry, owner of what? The physical copy? Because it seems like it's usually the game winner who gets to make new additions.

Correct. I played with a group that the Owner only won maybe three times, and it most certainly did NOT serve him. lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not my cup of tea - not only do I have zero desire to dismember, ruin, or "customize permanently" any games of mine, but the idea of limited-time replayability sounds awful to me. The reason being, is that even IF the few play-throughs (say 13 games) were fun, I'd be disappointed at not being able to go through that process again but what if your particularly specific play-through is just kinda fun. Now what?

This seems like more of an experiment type of game (sorta like Avant Garde art or something similar) than something I'd want in my permanent collection.

Kudos to Mr. Daviau for being edgy but I'd rather not throw money away on something that will be locked into one way of being forever. That would be like playing Heroscape on a specific map but after you played it, they glued the map together permanently. Oh neat! My game is customized! Oh and by the way, it's now locked that way forever...oh unless you want to buy another $50 game, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Rallyman: GT on Kickstarter
badge
Rallyman: GT on Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops, thought I was in the SeaFall forums. Seems I traveled back in time to before Risk Legacy's release. *shudder*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.