Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Conversion Kit» Forums » General

Subject: Proxies Cost rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Baramon
msg tools
Hey Guys,

Did anyone count how much it would cost to replace all monsters and heroes with proxies and what are best available proxies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Kingsbury
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've done a fair bit of research for this up and down the net. the best list for suitable proxies i found was here

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/925281/masterminion-project-...

now I live in the UK so i'm pretty sure i'll have to pay a little more with import cost or just more expensive mins. but here is a rough list and costs.

Kobold x 15

I was happy to use Warhammer snotlings for these guys and re base them(1 pack of 18 £5) but if you want to go D&D it'll cost alot more

Shade x 5

all the D&D ghosts i looked at where quite expensive (£3.99) each so i decided to skip them and use the 2ED zombies as proxies

Skeleton Archer x 5

again couldn't find them for cheep tho if you happy with skeletons with melee weapons instead, D&D do one for £1.50. Me personally i'm just using the goblin archers as Skeleton Archer proxies.

Dark Priest x 4

There are a few good cultist mins out there to pic from the cheapest i could find was £1.50. tho in the end I used the flesh moulders as proxies

Deep Elf x 2

a nice easy one to get at £1.50

Razorwing x 4

struggled to find anything for these tho i've resinged myself to using the Harpys from the trollfens expansion

Beastman x 4

Gnolls do fit this one quite well tho the only ones i could find where £3.99 that i felt was a bit to steep, so i use my ferrox mins as proxies

Ferrox x 4

I personally am using Festrog mins for these that i think work quite well. £1.99

Medusa X 3

quite a few different Medusa mins that work i'm using a D&D one that was £1.99

Lava Beetle x 4

Formian fit well at £1.99. Tho to budget I use cave spiders

Sorcerer x 4

few different mins fit the bill Tiefling warlock was the cheapest at £1.99. tho in the end i just used Flesh moulders again.

Blood Ape x 3 (2x1 base)

Taer at 1.99 where the best tho the base size is wrong i rebased them on Warhammer cavalry bases.

Wendingo x 3 (2x1 base)

couldn't find anything that suitable to i just use the Blood Apes or Barghests

Hellhound x 4 (2x1 base)

lots of good D&D hell hounds to chose from cheapest was £1.99. tho i opted for using Barghests since again they would of needed rebasing

Bane Spider x 3 (2x2 base)

the Dungeon Command Giant Spider was a good choice and at £2.99 it's quite cheep too.

Chaos Beast x 3 (2x2 base)

I know siutible mins exist but i couldn't find any in the UK so this guy is a still a Merriod maser and minion and a card cut out (first world problems cry )

Demon Lord x 2 (2x2 base)

no cheep option for this one Horned Devil at £7.99 was the best option. tho again i went budget and use elementals instead

Giant x 2 (2x2 base)

again no cheep options. best was hill giants at £5.99. so for budget i'm useing ettin

Golem x 2 (2x2 base)

D&D elemental wall fits really well, looks cool to boot and at 2.99 they're cheep too

Manticore x 2 (2x2 base)

noting cheep here the best i could see was £7.99, so for me these guys are just cardboard cut outs cry

Naga x 3 (2x2 base)

these guys creep me the heck out. £3.99 was the cheapest i found for dark naga

Ogre x 3 (2x2 base)

a few options here cheapest at £2.50 for Ogre Pulverizer tho i opted for ettin, ettin, cardboard. so not sure if it needs rebasing

Troll x 2 (2x2 base)

Troll slasher imo looks the best and is also the cheapest i could find at £4.99. even so i elected for using the ettins as proxies

Ice Wyrm x 2 (2x3 base)
Crypt Dragon x 2 (2x3 base)

for both the dragons there is alot of choice but they will all mostly need rebaseing and are quite costly too boot. for me i just ended up using the shadow dragon for both of them.

as for the hero, i haven't even begun to look into it (i'm the overlord screw the hero players right devil). but i wager that on advrage it'll cost £2 too £5 each min. having said that, there are only a few unique (looking)heros in the covertion kit, for most one of the 2ED 8 heros will fit the bill.

so lets tally that up. first the all up i want a decent model for eveything option.

Kabold £5
Shade £20
Skeleton Archer £7.50
Dark Priest £6
Deep Elf £3
Razorwing ??
Beastman £16
Ferrox £8
Medusa £6
Lava Beetle £8
Sorcerer £8
Blood Ape £6
Wendingo ??
Hellhound £8
Bane Spider £9
Chaos Beast ??
Demon Lord £16
Giant £12
Golem £6
Manticore £16
Naga £12
Ogre £7.50
Troll £10
Dragons (just guessing but) £32 ish for all 4

Heroes £168

so total that's £358 (will be more for the monster i couldn't find decent proxies for)

However if you go down the same route i went and budget it up

Kabold £5
Shade use zombies
Skeleton Archer use goblin archer
Dark Priest use flesh moulders
Deep Elf £3
Razorwing use Harpys from the trollfens
Beastman use Ferrox
Ferrox £8
Medusa £6
Lava Beetle use cave spiders
Sorcerer use flesh moulders
Blood Ape £6
Wendingo use blood ape
Hellhound use barghest
Bane Spider £9
Chaos Beast use Merriod (and cardboard)
Demon Lord use elementals
Giant use Ettin
Golem £6
Manticore CARDBOARD
Naga CARDBOARD
Ogre use ettin (and cardboard)
Troll use ettin
Dragon is a draggon is a dragon is a dragon (use shadow dragon)

Heroes make do with the starting 8 hero mins

now it tallys up to alot less at £37

The web site i buy from is http://www.tritex-games.co.uk/ i have no doubt you'll be able to find these items cheaper in the US so bully for you. (as a rough conversion just assume that the prices are in $ not £ without converting i've found this usually be be the case)

also you might want to look into the 3D carboard cut out PDF linked here
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87123/3d-monster-tokens-fo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.