Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you interested, this is the second installment on the Crew of the crashed spaceship Pioneer, sparking a conflict with aliens of the planet in the game Alien Uprising. In my design process, I had a clear vision of what I wanted to the Crew to be - their make up, personality, and skills. Here is a glimpse into my thoughts;the next in line, the soldier - Corporal Diesel.

From the initial concept I wanted to include 1 true warrior in the game and that crew member turned out to be Corporal Diesel - a highly trained military character at the prime of his fighting age. Take a closer look at Corporal Diesel below:

Corporal Diesel is the only crew member of the Pioneer that is currently in the military, serving as a Corporal in the Galactic Marines. On leave, and as payment for his passage to the planet his platoon has just been assigned, Corporal Diesel took the job as Security Officer on the Pioneer, not only because it would save him a buck or two, but more so because his father served under the command of Jake Comet during the Beltaurian War. While this job may prove unfortunate for Jake since even if he survives this uprising he will have a lot of questions from military superiors related to his actions here, but that is a problem he hopes to deal with in the future. Corporal Diesel is a trained soldier, but has yet to be in the line of fire as times have been relatively peaceful since his enlistment. Still, his training has been superior in the Galactic Marines and fortunately he is traveling with his gear the new outpost. Upon crashing, shaking off any minor wounds he may have suffered, Diesel put on his battle armor, hitched the few sonic grenades to his belt, grabbed his Heavy Blaster and moved toward the gather renegade "bugs". He has heard for a few months now about the tension between the "bugs" and the Galactic Alliance, and suspected that the gathering of the "bugs" on the surrounding dunes would become more than an imposing presence. Diesel cocked the Heavy Blaster and assumed a defensive position. If the "bugs" attacked, they would find the war they were seeking, and Corporal Diesel intended to make them regret that decision.

In Game play, Corporal Diesel is an essential part of the crew in that he has the most deadly weapons and most attack oriented Skill cards. His Heavy Blaster can take out multiple "bugs" in a single attack and his Sonic Grenades can clear a dozen or more "bugs" each. His Battle Armor is the strongest available, but cannot be recharged. His Skill cards not only help him in combat, but he can provide cover fire for other crew members enabling them to be more effective in combat. There is no deep strategy to playing Corporal Diesel in Alien Uprising, fire your weapons, reload and fire again. The strategy of using Diesel well is where to position him at various times in the conflict and when to use his most powerful tools, his Sonic Grenades. Additionally, based ion the strategy of the players, Diesel may be a good crew member to venture outside the shields to gather key debris as his armor will survive several attacks. As the game wears on, Diesel begins to run out of fighting materials; his armor destroyed, his Sonic Grenades used. It is at that time that the player needs to be most selective of where to position the more vulnerable Corporal Diesel, but it should be the plan of the players that by that time the rescue ship is close or the ship repairs are well under way for take off from this hellish rock.

I hope you are enjoying these posts of my thoughts for the crew. More Crew Member backgrounds will be posted this week, the next will be Ivan Starr, the Engineer.

Thanks for your interest.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
Richard Launius wrote:
I hope you are enjoying these posts of my thoughts for the crew. More Crew Member backgrounds will be posted this week, the next will be the ever popular (and only Military member of the Crew) Corporal Diesel.

Definitely enjoying the posts, but I hope the next one will cover someone different
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.