Richard Hirschman
United States
flag msg tools
I am learning the rules for the game. Some aspects of the rule book are not clear to me.
1) "Discard unused cards" - at the end of the Progression phase: Do you discard unused resource cards and unused development cards or discard just the resource cards?
2) When you get a development card is it kept in your hand or put on the table face-up in front of you for all players to see?
3) On your turn during the Progression phase can you do one of each of three possible moves or just one of them: a) make a combination of the same resource cards, b) make a combination of different resource cards c) use Inca relics alone to earn doubloons? (The rules on page 5 seem to imply either you can make combinations of all the same resource cards OR combinations of all different resource cards on a turn.)
4) Are cards in a warehouse kept face up or face down?
5) Are doubloons in your possession kept face up or face down?
Thanks.
Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperor Penguin
United States
Mercer
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how i play it:
1) Just discard resource cards. All resources cards not stored in a warehouse are discarded.
2) Development cards go face up on the table
3) You can do all of them if you have the cards to do it (just can't use the same cards for each)
4) Face down
5) Face down
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Peavy
United States
Americus
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,
I have played this game several times and understand the rules pretty well, so I'll give a few answers to your questions here with the promise of clarifications later this evening when I return home (where the game resides).

1. Any resource cards not used in combinations to gain developments or doubloons/gold are discarded at the end of the phase. The warehouse developments allow players to save cards between hands for use later. Otherwise, what remains of your hand goes away.

2. Development cards are placed in front of you and are good for the rest of the game. So if you have a card that gives you a trading or money bonus, you get to continue to do that once the development is built.

3. If you have enough resource cards, you can do each of the options once - you can purchase one development card with the correct combination of the same resources, with the range of cards available depending on the number and rarity of the commodities, AND/OR you can use combinations of different resources to gain doubloons/gold, AND/OR you can use combinations of Inca Relics to do the same. When gaining developments, Inca Relics can be used as a wildcard, but can't be a wildcard for gaining doubloons. Early in the game, you will probably not have the right combinations to do everything and will usually have to settle for one thing or another.

4. Keep them face down -- they will become a part of your hand during the next turn so you may wish to keep secret what you have so that the other players won't be able to see what you are going for development or gold-wise. Remember - you get 5 cards face down at the start of a hand and depending on how much you trade, you may wind up with most of your hand being secret.

5. Doubloons are one of the victory conditions (>75?), if I recall correctly, so keep that a secret! Most games end this way. The other way (the PERFECT HAND - one of each resource and an Inca Relic) is very difficult to achieve and pretty much requires you to have warehouses to store rare goods from turn-to-turn.

I hope these answers help you enjoy this game more. I like it a lot. It has some complexity but plays relatively fast. I really like the trading phase, as it seems to be a somewhat unique way of approaching it. Once you learn more about the developments and play a few games, all of the actions will become second nature and make more sense.

Have fun!

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Peavy
United States
Americus
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah - the other penguin beat me to it! I like how succinct your answer is, oh great and powerful Emperor Penguin!

IvanGrimm wrote:
This is how i play it:
1) Just discard resource cards. All resources cards not stored in a warehouse are discarded.
2) Development cards go face up on the table
3) You can do all of them if you have the cards to do it (just can't use the same cards for each)
4) Face down
5) Face down
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor W
msg tools

Hi Sam,

I got Mundus Novus a couple weeks back after hearing some good things and frankly being unable to escape the lure of its great aesthetics. So far I've only had the chance to play a few two-player games with my girlfriend - and, though I believe we're reading the rules correctly, we've run into a frustrating situation in each game we've played. I came here to the forums to see if anyone else had run into the same issue, and, since you seem pretty experienced with that game, I figured I'd ask for some help:

Eventually during the game, one of us will draw an Inca relic card from the resource stack. This card is inevitably used by that player to collect 3 doubloons, and the player keeps the Inca relic for the next round. Rounds go by and each time we reach a point at which one of us has 4 to 5 Inca relic cards in their hand (having spent the rounds up to this using their relics to gain doubloons, thus holding on to the relics for the next rounds)

At this point our game sort of flounders. If either of us gets to 4-5 relic cards, we pretty much know the game will be over within the next couple turns as that player reaches 75 doubloons (since 4 and 5 relics gets you 18 or 25 doubloons, respectively)

It seems to me that we MUST be doing something incorrectly. Though it's frustrating to know that when one of us has 4 Inca relics in our hand, that there's simply nothing else anyone else can do about it. I can't make you discard those relics. And each round we draw new cards out of the Resource deck thanks to our caravels, but if you already have a hand of relics, those cards seem meaningless - you can put them up for trade, save your relics, and essentially ignore the Trade phase entirely...

Anyways, thank you for reading my entire rant - I'm really hoping to uncover whatever error we're committing while playing - it seems like such a nice game and I'd love to figure out what I'm getting mixed up here.

Cheers,

Taylor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperor Penguin
United States
Mercer
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not Sam but I thought I'd reply.

I'm not I understand if you are doing this or not but I thought I'd mention it. I could be wrong but this is what we do.

1) if you cash in a card for doubloons ( or to buy a card) then you have to discard the card. So you can't keep using the same inca relics round after round.

2) if a card was not used then you can only keep it until next round if you have a warehouse to store it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Peavy
United States
Americus
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, I bow to the all powerful Emperor Penguin, as he has once again beat me to it (see above post). If you get money for the relic, you do need to discard it. And if you want to keep things from round to round, you'll need warehouses to store your "best" cards for the next round. I hope you get a chance to play with 3 or more players, because that's when the trading phase becomes a lot of fun. Best of luck and thanks again Emperor Penguin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.