Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this game is meant to be easy to learn and play, but I feel like a Comprehensive Rules document (in the style of M:tG's) would allow for certain rules clarifications to be made, and give players a very reliable resource for rules questions. I know that there isn't really a Forbidden Island tournament scene out there that needs detailed rules, but I have too much honor to allow myself to win a cooperative game because I misunderstood a rule. (Actually, I have an ulterior motive for doing this; I'd like to see a similar document for Forbidden Desert, because I see a lot of rules questions I hadn't even thought of, and I haven't even played yet! O_O)

Here is a very rough draft of the rules. They could probably be re-written to be more precise or organized, in particular to clarify that flooded and unflooded tiles are functionally identical except when using the Diver's movement actions and resolving a Flood card, but I made sure to include everything from Rules clarifications I wish the instructions had made. Many of the little details (such as when to shuffle a discard pile to form a deck) are borrowed from the iPad app implementation, although that implementation doesn't use the parenthetical clause in 204.1a (The Diver must escape to the nearest such tile, choosing between multiple options if they're equidistant).

Eventually, I'd love to have this published as a fancy PDF, a la the fan-made Pokémon TCG Comprehensive Rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think every game needs this. A sticky thread of rule clarifications that have been confirmed by the designer of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This would probably be better as a wiki FAQ here on BGG, with links to the sources for any rule clarifications. The FAQ itself can be linked in the More Information section of the game page.

Edit: As an example, see the Dominion FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
This would probably be better as a wiki FAQ here on BGG, with links to the sources for any rule clarifications. The FAQ itself can be linked in the More Information section of the game page.

Edit: As an example, see the Dominion FAQ

Good idea. The Dominion FAQ is pretty human-readable and useful; on the other hand, a comprehensive rules list that's approved by the designer would answer every possible question, not merely frequently asked ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
OK, call it comprehensive rules, or annotated rules or something instead of FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say "annotated rules" since that's what the Carcassonne combined rules document uses.

I also believe that when a diver swims they can end on an unflooded tile and that only the intermediate tiles must be flooded/missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsdougan wrote:
I would say "annotated rules" since that's what the Carcassonne combined rules document uses.

I also believe that when a diver swims they can end on an unflooded tile and that only the intermediate tiles must be flooded/missing.

Quote:
300. Diver
300.1 The Diver starts the game on the Iron Gate Tile.
300.2 As an exception to 201.1a, the Diver may also spend one action point to make a series of orthogonal moves, where the final destination is a flooded or unflooded Tile, and the intermediate Tiles are all flooded or missing.

I think that's what I said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange... when I looked shortly before posting, I could have sworn that you specified the final destination as a flooded tile only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Overmeyer
msg tools
It feels like the Navigator should not be able to use the special movements of the Explorer (as stated in your section 304.2), as the rules state (in English version):

"The Navigator may move other players up to 2 adjacent tiles per action."

And on the Navigator card:
"Moves another player up to 2 adjacent tiles for 1 action."

And in the definition of Adjacent provided:
"... move your pawn to an adjacent Island tile: either up, down, left, or right, but never diagonally."

The fact that adjacent is "never diagonally" and both the card and the rules mention adjacent movement, makes it seem like the Navigator shouldn't be able to move the Explorer diagonally.

PS: There seems to be a typo in your document. You mention "In addition to the actions delineated in 201.2", but there is not section 201.2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
movermeyer wrote:
It feels like the Navigator should not be able to use the special movements of the Explorer (as stated in your section 304.2), as the rules state (in English version):

"The Navigator may move other players up to 2 adjacent tiles per action."

And on the Navigator card:
"Moves another player up to 2 adjacent tiles for 1 action."

And in the definition of Adjacent provided:
"... move your pawn to an adjacent Island tile: either up, down, left, or right, but never diagonally."

The fact that adjacent is "never diagonally" and both the card and the rules mention adjacent movement, makes it seem like the Navigator shouldn't be able to move the Explorer diagonally.

Re: Diver questions

mleacock, the creator of the freaking game, wrote:
When the Navigator moves the Explorer to adjacent spaces, he may move him diagonally.

This is also how the iPad app implements the Navigator moving the Explorer.

movermeyer wrote:
PS: There seems to be a typo in your document. You mention "In addition to the actions delineated in 201.2", but there is not section 201.2.

Fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.