Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Sink
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though Bohnanzaimmediately gives American players the idea that this may be a cowboy themed game; it’s not. Bohnanaza is a point taking card game. Each player is out to try to grow as many of a particular kind of bean in his/her’s field and then harvest and claim their points. Play goes around the table with each person deciding to use, trade, give, or discard the top two cards drawn off the massive pile of beans. The deck is composed of a variable amount of each type of bean. For example, there are more of the blue beans than the coffee beans. This means that coffee beans come up less often, are more valuable when harvested, and can take longer to get enough to harvest. This creates a large amount of possibilities in what seems to be a rather simple game. I can see why it has lasted as long as it has(over 12 years). My wife and I found the game a little difficult to learn at first even though we watched two videos (one a review, and one a tutorial). The good thing was that we applied a little logic to our play and realized early on where we were going wrong. The one things I have to complain about is the rule book. I didn’t like the way it was organized and had trouble getting to the quick answers I needed. Otherwise I really liked the game.

Some of the interesting mechanics of this game:

1.Players can only play the right most(or full faced) card in their hand. And they can only play it if they have a matching bean field or an open one available. This causes the player to have to plan ahead and perhaps try to get rid of the card through a trade.

2.Players have to trade with others to get to cards they need. They may have drawn a coffee bean, but because it has to go to the back of their hand, it’s not usable by them any time soon. Therefore they must trade with others to get the same bean they may have in their own hand.

3.The value given for holding out for more beans in your fields causes a delimia some times. You must decide if it’s time to turn over the field and collect what you can coin wise, or wait for a few more beans to come along to give you greater rewards. The other side is that if you wait too long, you are having to pass up other opportunities in hope that that one card you need will soon show up.

Since you already have the beans, I would recommend a Texas Chili Recipe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoss Cartwright
United States
California
flag msg tools
If it was about BONANZA, it would sell much better. You can believe that.And i know about Chili too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.