Popular Tags: [View All]
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Basically i can't get to play as often as i'd like and i want to satisfy my desire to spend more time in the board game world. I'd like to look into board games in more detail, deeper but i want to exclude:

1. Reviews
2. How to play videos
3. Previews
4. News

Similar to the Ludology podcasts for example. Anything in written form or videos? Or about specific games?

Or any other suggestions you may have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you want to read if not previews/reviews/news? I mean every game has its General forum, I guess.

Maybe read the rules to the top n ranked games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you meant include and not exclude?

Anyway, you could try Board Game Arena to fit in actual games when you have the time but can't get to a game group or game night. Not as good as face to face games but it'll do in a pinch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Diehl
United States
Junction City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
The eerie war chant emanating from the morning fog set chills down every spine. "Lah, lah, la lah, lah, lah."
mbmbmbmbmb
What is preventing you from playing, time or other players? If its a lack of other players I'd look into solitaire games or maybe look into Vassal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Zolos wrote:
Basically i can't get to play as often as i'd like and i want to satisfy my desire to spend more time in the board game world. I'd like to look into board games in more detail, deeper but i want to exclude:

1. Reviews
2. How to play videos
3. Previews
4. News

Similar to the Ludology podcasts for example. Anything in written form or videos? Or about specific games?

Or any other suggestions you may have?

Get an ipad. You can actually get sick of playing some games there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard Tom Vasal mention Board Game University for design topics. Where is that? On The Dicetower website? I don't think the OP meant "exclude" as a mistake but is searching for something meatier that does not revolve around the purchase of games. OR I completely misinterpreted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that in my initial years in the hobby I was consumed by the periphery of the hobby, browsing content here and elsewhere for hours daily. While it is enjoyable, it was an addiction. And when you get down to it, what games are primarily about are playing them. Try to keep that in perspective as you proceed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ford
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zolos wrote:
Anything in written form . . . .

A book:

Stewart Woods, Eurogames: The Design, Culture and Play of Modern European Board Games (McFarland 2012)

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-6797-6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
quirogal wrote:
I don't think the OP meant "exclude" as a mistake but is searching for something meatier that does not revolve around the purchase of games. OR I completely misinterpreted.

I understand that my post might have been confusing. I actually did mean exclude. As some of the people who have commented i'm only going from one game to the next with the prospect of always buying another game instead of focusing on the games i have and/or mechanics of games etc.

I can't play more games because of the lack of people here and i don't want to play on tablets or online. It just does not give me the same satisfaction. I'm trying to set up a regular board games group but usually it's people coming once or twice and then never again so the sessions usually mean that i explain a new game to people but never actually getting better at it.

Basically i just don't want to spend my time looking at possible future purchases. I've had enough, especially since i can't play the games i already own. So i was wondering what else there is to do?

[EDIT|

Oh yes and i ordered my first solitaire game (someone suggested it). Although i don't think it will work for me i want to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In looking over various threads you've participated in, I see that you've gotten some good discussion topics started (like this one). You also contribute to a lot of recommendations threads, though those contributions are often of the "+1"-to-a-previous-suggestion variety or a simple statement or list of games you recommend.

One way to look more deeply into the games you have is by offering more info about why you're recommending the games you recommend: why you're recommending them, things you appreciate about them, their pros and cons.

Articulating these sorts of things can help you both to clarify what you've already come to understand about games and to open up new insights into and understandings about games. These new insights sometimes come from you (seeing new connections or aspects as you write about the games), and they sometimes come from others (reading the often different perspectives and understandings of others).

In short, try adding more of the thoughtfulness and context-sharing of your discussion thread contributions to your recommendation thread contributions.

I hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kerningkev wrote:
In looking over various threads you've participated in, I see that you've gotten some good discussion topics started (like this one). You also contribute to a lot of recommendations threads, though those contributions are often of the "+1"-to-a-previous-suggestion variety or a simple statement or list of games you recommend.

One way to look more deeply into the games you have is by offering more info about why you're recommending the games you recommend: why you're recommending them, things you appreciate about them, their pros and cons.

Articulating these sorts of things can help you both to clarify what you've already come to understand about games and to open up new insights into and understandings about games. These new insights sometimes come from you (seeing new connections or aspects as you write about the games), and they sometimes come from others (reading the often different perspectives and understandings of others).

In short, try adding more of the thoughtfulness and context-sharing of your discussion thread contributions to your recommendation thread contributions.

I hope this helps!

Thank you. That's a very good suggestion!

I do want to articulate my thoughts better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always try designing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
You could always try designing.

I wish i had the creative skills to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Teixeira
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of blogs that are interesting reads. Depending on your interest, you could easily follow a few and learn about the nuts and bolts of what goes into game design and games.

Cardboard Edison hosts a lot of links to content.
Today in Boardgames is a daily newsletter that links to blogs and blog topics (as well as competitions, game reviews, news, kickstarter projects, etc.)

Those two are excellent launching points into the world of information that's out there.

There are also loads of designers that are looking for people to help them with rules and blind play testing. You could make a few print and play games and try them out. There are even solitaire design competitions (as well as other P&P competitions) on a regular basis. There is even one running at the moment.

For a good constant flow of PnP games, you can subscribe to the Print and Play Games News blog and you'll get a new batch of games to try out every month or two.

Otherwise, if you want a gaming focused hobby - get some mini's and some paints and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Below is a cut + paste from an earlier blog post of mine, with some additions and edits. In general, I'd suggest the following:

- Start reading many of the excellent BGG-hosted (and off-BGG) blogs and listening to more podcasts.

- Look to play more games over the internet on digital boardgaming sites like Yucata.de or on a mobile device (iOS mostly). Check here for lots of info: On-Line Games

- Find more game groups in your area

Blog / Podcast Roll

I thought it would be nice to end with a listing of what other Lerkim’s I see from my Lerkim, i.e. the other websites, blogs, and podcasts I’ve been following. I have to say – I’ve been listening to more and more podcasts lately. I still can’t get into video though – so don’t ask who I’m watching on YouTube, because it isn’t anyone!

Blog Roll – On BGG

Big Game Theory – My own blog - shameless I know.

Lacxox – Interesting recent discussion on Speil des Jahres awards and the impact on designer creativity.

Confessions of a Reluctant Video Gamer – Patrick’s video game centric blog. I find myself sharing many similar attitudes and feelings about playing video games.

3D Total Games – Interesting blog topics from Greg, who is a staff designer for 3DTotal.

QWERTYUIOP – Always a favorite. The last “big debate” was on the topic of Michael Barnes’ perspective on Eurogames.

[blog=2037]Everyday Gamer[/blog] – A wargamer making blog posts everyday. Whoa! Lot of good discussion and topics.

Boardgames that tell stories – Polish designer Ignacy Trzewiczek brief and humorous blog. Always good for a chuckle, interspersed with some genuine insight on games and design.

The Slow Gamer – Vivienne’s blog. Not too many posts yet, but good conversation. Keep going!

Drive Thru-Blog – Okay, so this is sort of videocasting. But I ignore the video and just listen to the audio. I like Joel’s conversations, and the ensuring blog discussions are always engaging and interesting.

Blog Roll – Off BGG

GamerChris – Good blog, reviews, and podcast coverage on a variety of topics.

Painted Wooden Cubes - Mark Taylor’s poignant and introspective blog. Engaging topics.

Fortress Ameritrash Articles – Various staff pieces at FortressAT.

This geeklist also has a lot more links to bloggers and interesting articles:
A Boardgame Bibliography: Links to Critical Discourse

Boardgame Podcasts

The Long View – Each episode focuses on a single game or designer. Great in depth discussion about what makes a particular game work, or not work. Very informed guests.

Three Moves Ahead – Often more focused on video games, the podcast routinely has top notch guests in the industry talking about design, trends, or other big issues. Very well done podcast.

Ludology – Great discussion topics and debates – often focusing on broader gaming topics.

On Board Games – Another smorgasbord of topics of interest. Great main topics – but I’m less interested in all the what did you play stuff.

Wooden Cubes + Iron Soldiers – Joel + Lance wax poetic about all sorts of shenanigans.

Plaid Hat Games – The folks from PHG get slaphappy and punchy as they discuss salient issues from the publishing perspective.

Other Gaming Websites

NoHighScores – a bunch of well-informed video game commentators commenting without supervision on the gaming industry.

SpaceGameJunkie – Great blog for space related (mostly video) gaming. Has its own podcast well.

Space Sector – Another space game website, with big reviews and coverage for released and upcoming spacey titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.