Hide
5 Posts

The Supreme Commander» Forums » General

Subject: overseas supply rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
don p
msg tools
the clarifications have been great! one question remains: if the a player has the only naval units in a sea area can supply be traced though that area? ex eastern med controlled by British can the Italians still be in supply in tobruk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blownapart wrote:
the clarifications have been great! one question remains: if the a player has the only naval units in a sea area can supply be traced though that area? ex eastern med controlled by British can the Italians still be in supply in tobruk?

Yes, they can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dan. As you were answering I was typing all the below. Sorry so long winded. I just really want to well understand the rules to this great game.

Blownapart - I say the answer is Yes. 7.2 states (in part): “Units in a port may trace a path across the sea to a friendly supply source.” It does not mention whether the nation must have naval units present in the sea zone.

In the Combat Commander world, guys have it constantly beat into them to strictly interpret the rules, and not read into them. That’s another reason I say the answer is yes. While it may not initially seem to make sense because of what been ingrained in us from other games, Dan has written answers to other questions that Fleets are abstract entities. So in that sense, it makes sense to me the answer is again Yes.

I was thinking that possibly, the supply line could be traced by rail to Tripoli then to Italy via the Western Med but after a couple careful reads of 7.2 I eliminated that possibility, keeping in mind again to strictly interpret the rules.

Units on a rail hex or directly adjacent to one, can trace a path via contiguous rail hexes to a supply source in the unit’s Home Country. (Tripoli is not a home country city.)

Then I thought maybe the presence of an HQ might be a possibility, but the rule states:
• Units may trace a path of four ground hexes to a friendly, in-supply HQ and be in supply. An HQ must trace supply four hexes to a rail or controlled city hex, then back to a supply source in the unit’s Home Country.” The rule says “four hexes to a rail or controlled city hex, then back to a supply source”. It does not say “four hexes to a rail then to a controlled city hex, then back to a supply source”.

Enjoy!
Chris

Edit - text lined thru thanks to Stan's corection/clarification. Embarrassing mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Grossman
United States
Kerrville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris, I had some questions on this too at first but now it's all clear
and as a bonus pretty simple. Have you seen Dan's file posted here on this?
In short, you can use a COMBINATION of the supply methods to get your supply line traced back to a home city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaah!!! How did I miss that?!? Brain fart. shake Thanks for pointing that out Stan! So a unit can trace a supply line from Tobruck by rail to Tripoli then over water to Italy. (Not that you would need to if in Tobruk, but might if you were pushed west out of Tobruk by an enemy attack.)
Thanks again.
Chris
Edit - I'm sometimes baffled by supply rules in war games but you're right, the supply rules in TSC are pretty clear and straight forward (now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.