Steve Mott
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a friend's copy of the original Thunderstone a few times and really enjoy it. Now that I'm looking to pick up my own set, is there anyone who could point me in the right direction? I think I'm going to go the "Advance" route. Should I pick up "Towers of Ruin" or "Numenera" if the possibility exists that this will be my only Thunderstone set I obtain for quite some time?

Thanks for your advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think either will do. Both are set up as base sets with boards...

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Smottz wrote:
Should I pick up "Towers of Ruin" or "Numenera" if the possibility exists that this will be my only Thunderstone set I obtain for quite some time?

If you were going to be tempted by expansions, I might recommend Towers of Ruin, because it is extended so nicely by Caverns of Bane and Root of Corruption. But if this is going to be your only set for "quite some time", and you don't care about expansions or potential theme clash, I'd recommend Numenera.

I was one of its play testers; having played it quite a bit, I've been continually impressed with how many strategic options the setups allow. As someone else pointed out in another thread, even the basic setup can be played in a variety of ways. The heroes and village cards are fun and interesting; and the monsters are challenging. Plus you get treasures, settings, and XP-of-many-uses, none of which are in Towers of Ruin (though Towers of Ruin has familiars).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based purely on numbers and differences, Numenera will have slightly more card sets than Towers of Ruin.

Numenera has 13 heroes instead of ToR's 11.
Numenera has 10 monsters types instead of ToR's 9.
Numenera has 21 village cards instead of Tor's 19.
Both have 3 Thunderstone Bearers.
Numenera has multi-colored experience tokens with rules that uses them for abilities other than leveling up, instead of ToR's plain grey tokens.
ToR has a set of familiars that give extra abilities that Numenera does not include.
Numenera has a set of treasure cards, a d20, some cardboard tokens, and a set of Setting cards that ToR does not have.
Numenera costs more than ToR, $60 MSRP as opposed to $50 MSRP.

The other thing to consider is theme. ToR is more of a generic fantasy theme, fighting orcs, undead, etc. with the usual medieval weaponry like swords, bows, and axes. Numenera is more of a sci-fi setting based in a post-apocalyptic future, with traces of technology. So you'll be fighting automatons and mutants with energy weapons and technological implements.

Other than that, the games pretty much play the same, so the cost, card counts, and theme will be your determining factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.