uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the fierce Samurai, I will present here my second custom class : the Metamorph, for the Mage archetype.

Please leave me comments about balance between the skills, or misspelling or if you'll like to play with this class.

I'll upload soon the printable PDF of theses cards.

[Edit : You will find the PDF here.]

The Metamorph is a bit of a unusual class as it is a Mage class focused on Melee fighting !

In the frosted land of the north, a reduce community of wizard achieve to master the total control over their mind and body. But where the sinister Flesh Moulder, guided by Dark Gods, only achieved to barely manipulate the flesh into corrupted shapes, the Metamorph were able to sustain perfect shapes of wild animals.

Inspired by Nature and by the mean of a both side agreed pact with the animals themselves, the Metamotph are able to shapeshift into animals shape at will. While in animal they have its characteristics and skill and may not use their human skills, items, armors or weapons. Moreover, maintaining the spell require a every moment concentration and is very difficult when hurt.

The basic weapon of the Metamorph are Magic darts, poisonous projectile magically aimed at targets. It is far less powerful as runic power but may still be a pain on the long term.

The basic skills of the Metamorph are Shapeshift and Dire Wolf Shape.

The first one allow the Metamorph to change to animal shape. It take an action and the cost will depend on the wanted shape. In addition to the rule previously mentioned (no items and such, knowledge test if damaged), I will clarify one point : if you shift back to human with more damage token than your hero Health, you are obviously immediately defeated. Another point, is that as the Metamorph IS the animal, he may recover 1 fatigue for a surge while in animal shape.

The Dire Wolf is the first shape available to the Metamorph. With medium speed, no Health bonus and common defense, the Dire Wolf is not spectacular but still allow the Metamorph to shift to a bouncing ball of fur, claws and teeth that deals Blue+Red Melee attacks (with potential +1 Damage, Pierce 1 !). In addition, the wolf shape give a +2 bonus in Perception that will help the Metamorph to avoid potential traps.

All the animal shape tokens are based on the 3D folded tokens idea and may be used as figurines during the game.

At first, the Metamorph will loose one of this actions (and fatigue) to shift back to animal shape (fairly anytime he will take damage). The Quick Shifter skill will free him a bit from these harsh. With an additional shifting action, the Metamorph may concentrate himself on doing something rather than keeping the animal shape, and the +1 Knowledge bonus, will help him keep it the same way. That will left the fatigue cost, that will be the ever hindrance of this class.

The two other 1XP skills are two more potential animal shape.

The Eagle shape, will allow the Metamorph to speed up (Speed of 6 5, Fly !) with a drastic Health and Defense cost. Eagle attacks are made of plunge from the sky, then flying back to (relative) safety. Watch out as, if you are defeated as Eagle, you still are defeated when shifting back, even if you add more Health than damage token (This may change if it reveals too harsh in play-test) .

In the other hand, making a pact with a Wild Boar, will give the Metamorph a sturdy shape (+4 2 Health, Black Die Defense) with some strong Melee advantage (potential +2 1 damage and stun, dreadful Charge action). The stubbornness of the Wild Boar is represented by the +2 Willpower Bonus.

When gaining some experience, the Metamorph will shapeshift more easily in the common shapes. Expert Shifter will allow him to pay 1 fatigue less when shifting and will allow another additional shifting action. With this skill the Metamorph may shift to Eagle for free, move up to Eagle speed then shift back to Dire Wolf (with Quick Shifter) and attack !

Another advanced skill is based on the though control the Metamorph has over his mind and body ; Nature's blessing will allow him to recover 1 damage, every time he recover fatigue and to recover 1 fatigue when he recover damage. It's one of the rare skill the Metamorph may used in animal shape.

The last 2XP skill is a new animal shape : the Bear shape. Massive (2x2 token), sturdy (+6 4 Health, Grey+Brown Defense) and deadly(+2 damage / potential Knockback), the bear may sweep all the creature around him ! It's +2 Strength Bonus will allow him to break boulders or other obstacles. Beware of the angry Bear !

The most powerful Metamorphs may have the ability to survive an encounter a Red Dragon (and only the most persevering may convince them into a pact). But for the price, you will came up with an ultimate shape : Gigantic (2x3 token), armored (+8 4 Health, Grey+Grey Defense), with a terrible ranged attack (Blast ! Potential +2 damage) and the ability to freeze monsters out of panic. For those claiming to the overpowered skill, remembered the cost (3XP, 3 Fatigues) and the potential fragility of the spell (that need a knowledge test to maintain for each damage taken !)

The second 3XP skill will also touch to godly power. The Partial Shift skill will allow the Metamorph to take the best of each shape, while keeping the possibility to use items, armor and weapons ! The Partial Shift is a very difficult spell and all the partial shifting cost will be increased by 1 fatigue.

With time and fatigue, the Metamorph may buff himself into a deadly chimera : Eye of the Dire Wolf, wings of the Eagle, Wild Boar's skin, Bear's Health and Strength and Dragon's Flame and Roar. While he can maintain it, that is said...

Overall, the Metamorph should be a fun class to play with, with terrible strengths but a permanent weak point. It would require a bit of play-tests to see if both will balance well.

That's all for today, but I shall bring out soon from my drawers a new custom class for the Scout archetype : the Trapper.

[Edit : Corrected the animal shapes' characteristics to a more balanced aspect]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Urukwai!

Yeah... I thought I had seen everything when you posted the samurai, but gotta say this one is way more cooler than anything I could´ve imagined
(reminds me of Game of Thrones Skinchangers tbh ^^)

I would really love to play a class like this....though I think any OL would say this is just too OP class to ever enter the game : D

For example the Eagle Shape could easily give you 9 movement and an attack or 2 attacks and 6 movement : ) maybe too much for 1 exp skill imo. Since even though I guess the point is that you could easily take damage or possibly fail an attribute test, but for example the Spiritspeakers Stoneskin could be easily comboed to prevent damage or Cloud of Mist, knights defend etc.

The same goes with the wildboar since you get an black defense die and the charge would be just too devastating imo.

The bear and dragon both have a pretty nice defense pool too and the dragons "roar" : ), nice but not so fun for OL since all monsters fail and lieutenants have the possibility to fail.

But I do admit this class has tons of potential, especially I liked the fact, that you can get buffed attributes, though I´m not sure if 2 skills should give +1 knowledge, maybe only 1?

The skills that save you the trouble to use an action to shift are a nice idea and I´d stick to those, though at the moment the animals are so OP that these cards would make epic comboing only more epic : )

So Maybe the metamorph should fill up 2 player spots : D

In my opinion it needs a little nerfing and tweaking but honestly, this class is super sweet !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Masterchief1 for your comments.

I was inspired by the Ussuran Shapeshifter from the Seven Sea RPG (great memories...) and as you said, this class as so much fun potential it is easy to get a bit overwhelmed.

Masterchief1 wrote:
For example the Eagle Shape could easily give you 9 movement and an attack or 2 attacks and 6 movement : ) maybe too much for 1 exp skill imo. Since even though I guess the point is that you could easily take damage or possibly fail an attribute test, but for example the Spiritspeakers Stoneskin could be easily comboed to prevent damage or Cloud of Mist, knights defend etc.

It's true the surge ability to move after attack is probably overpowered.
I propose to remove it (or to pass it to two surge).
Overall I think we may also put a Shapeshift cost to 2 fatigue. I have also considered to pass the speed to 5.

Masterchief1 wrote:
The same goes with the wildboar since you get an black defense die and the charge would be just too devastating imo.

For the Wild Boar, we may pass the first surge to +1 damage and the remove the charge action (to overpowered compared to the Berseker charge). I would hold to the Black die, for the sturdiness of the hard boar skin, but I will pass the Health bonus to +2. Just for the image of the charging boar, I may add "After defeating a monster, you may move 1 space to the place previously occupied."

Masterchief1 wrote:
The bear and dragon both have a pretty nice defense pool too.

Considering that the bear and dragon will need more XP to be bought, they will arrive when Act II monster are in play, so I wanted to reflect that in the card (remember that the animal shapes are not compatible with items/armor/weapons/relic/...)

But in the way of balancing the shapes, I will probably pass the Health Bonus to +4 and Defense to Grey. I will pass Sweep to 2 fatigue to avoid the overkilling bear, and the summoning cost to 3.

For the dragon, I can't think of him without the Grey+Grey Defense, but i will pass the Health Bonus to +4 and the shapeshifting cost to 4.

Masterchief1 wrote:
the dragons "roar" : ), nice but not so fun for OL since all monsters fail and lieutenants have the possibility to fail.

We can replace the actual roar with the Cause Fear text : "Choose a figure adjacent to you. This figure must test Willpower. If he fails, he moves 2 spaces directly away from you and is Immobilized.", so the Metamorph may only immobilize two monsters (with the cost of two actions !)

What do you think ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like it calls for playtesting : ), I think the nerfs seem good and reasonable and now its just playtesting time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PDF for Samurai and Metamorph are online,

Don't hesitate to play-test them and give use some comments !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.