Subject: Post-apocalyptic suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on a game design, set in a "Mad Max"-style future Earth.
The economy of the remaining settlement of humans has degenerated into three kinds of higly successful people: People who supply (sell) raw materials, people who buy raw materials (to produce finished goods), and people who physically move the raw materials between the buyers and the sellers. Truckers-for-hire, if you will.
There are other drones & laborers, and people to make day-to-day living possible, but they don't have much impact on my economy.

So what I'm looking for here is suggestions of what might be a valuable raw material, in a world where technology and industry are so advanced that they can make pretty much anything from existing bits and basic elements.
For instance, I'm thinking that instead of needing both coal and iron to make steel, that scrap steel is about all that is left on earth now, and it can be re-used, and milled/ shaped into any form.

My initial thought was that fresh water should be one of the commodities being bought and sold, since it is essential to life and now quite rare.
On the heels of that, fuel for the transport vehicles (I don't need to be too specific with my labels) is the other thing keeping the economy afloat, since without the truckers no goods get moved anywhere.

I am hoping to get nine items that are different enough from each other but also still be useful when combined in finished goods.

1) Fresh water (not really a raw material, as such, but its supply is controlled)
2) (Transport) Fuel (could be anything, but probably radioactive)
3) Oil (to make foams/ plastics/ goods; but not used as fuel)
4) Scrap Metal (all-inclusive; steel for structures, copper for wiring, etc.)
5) Chemicals? (to make medicines. Possibly some illegal substances as well)
6) Food Pills
7) ?
8) ?
9) (Power) Fuel

I'm not sure if Chemicals is too broad of a category. As well as the intended medicines & drugs, fertilizers, ammunition, batteries, clothing, and even cleaners and adhesives could fall under the same term. Perhaps break it into Medicines and (Other) Chemicals?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, and criticisms.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Canned food?
Plastic
Rubber
Synthetic fabric (well fabrics in general)
Furs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I'm also wondering if this idea sounds familiar to you, in another boardgame form?

I have never played "Galaxy Trucker" (and know nothing about it) but it sounds like it could be inter-planetary commodity trading, to me. Is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker? No - Galaxy Trucker's theme may sound like it's pickup and deliver, but really it's about creating a spaceship and seeing how well it endures the "Space Trail" it travels on.

I think you need to look more into Merchant of Venus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I left out

Livestock (animal or human depending on how dark you want it)
Pre-ruin knowledge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
How about salt? In a world without electricity and refrigeration and BHT (whatever that is), age-old forms of preservation might again become significant. (That assumes those things are gone, of course; depends on how apocalyptic your apocalypse was, I guess.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

So is human considered dark meat or light meat? I've never tried it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willward wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

So is human considered dark meat or light meat? I've never tried it!
Long pork, white meat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weapons and/or ammunition (or is that too bleak?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What will be used to power the factories that make these products? The machines that mill and shape steel, the chemical plants that make medicines (and ilegal things), etc. That could be a commodity in your game.

Also, technology had taken a step or two backward in the Mad Max world, so it'll be interesting to see how you combine that type of society with "advanced" tech and industry.

EDIT: Twinkies. They'll be back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archon313 wrote:
Weapons and/or ammunition (or is that too bleak?)

I'm thinking that is more of a finished product.
I started out with those on my list but then there are too many other finished products that are also deserving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
What will be used to power the factories that make these products? The machines that mill and shape steel, the chemical plants that make medicines (and ilegal things), etc. That could be a commodity in your game.

Also, technology had taken a step or two backward in the Mad Max world, so it'll be interesting to see how you combine that type of society with "advanced" tech and industry.

I suppose that I could differentiate between vehicle fuel and "power" fuel, if I came up with 8 items I liked and was stuck for a ninth.

Twinkies
would be a good monetary unit. Or would the registered trademark ruin everything? Probably.
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I left out

I'm leaning towards a food substitute in a pill form. Not much can grow, and animals take up valuable space and resources.

So Food Pills could be a commodity. Is there a better name/ descriptor than Food Pills?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
bird94us wrote:

I suppose that I could differentiate between vehicle fuel and "power" fuel, if I came up with 8 items I liked and was stuck for a ninth.

Twinkies
would be a good monetary unit. Or would the registered trademark ruin everything? Probably. :(
:laugh:
How about traditional Christmas cake the stuff has a bloody half life of 10 million years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
I left out

I'm leaning towards a food substitute in a pill form. Not much can grow, and animals take up valuable space and resources.

So Food Pills could be a commodity. Is there a better name/ descriptor than Food Pills?
Nutritional supplements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Canned food?
Plastic
Rubber
Synthetic fabric (well fabrics in general)
Furs.

I had "rubber" on my list at one point. Not sure if it belongs since it can't be synthesized, can it (Of course I could claim it can be)? I figure that all of the rubber trees died of radioactive poisoning and acid rain.
Likewise, Synthetic fabric will be all that is left, and that goes back to Chemicals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
How about traditional Christmas cake the stuff has a bloody half life of 10 million years

Hey! You stole my idea for a power source!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
Galaxy Trucker? No - Galaxy Trucker's theme may sound like it's pickup and deliver, but really it's about creating a spaceship and seeing how well it endures the "Space Trail" it travels on.

I just had a look.
Similar sort of beginning idea, but mine is more about the goods and not at all about better transport/ lasers/ upgrades.

I do have nine colored "provinces"-- perhaps I could simplify things a bunch by saying that the red province produces "red goods". Hey, the Gray Province needs some red goods, and they're willing to pay big for whoever gets here first with them.

It could work.

1) Red
2) Yellow
3) Blue
4) Green
5) Orange
6) Purple
7) Pink
8) Brown
9) Gray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with:

Water (raw material)
Fuel (raw material, used for transport)
Scrap (raw material, used for building)
Drugs/Medicine (raw material, used for alliances/supporting)
Labor/Workers (raw material)
Technology (batteries/generators, manufacturing equipment, "old tech" weapons)
Ammunition
Food
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
I've been working on a game design, set in a "Mad Max"-style future Earth.
in a world where technology and industry are so advanced that they can make pretty much anything from existing bits and basic elements.

Those two statements seem contradictory to me. When I think of "Mad Max"-style I think that a lot of the advanced industry and technology has fallen by the wayside. And in that case I would suggest one other commodity:
Knowledge!
In the future Earth I am envisioning, you don't have the Internet and a massive brain drain has ensued from whatever apocalypse happened. So knowledge in the form of books, papers, drawings, notes, etc, will be very valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some sort of 'vice' commodity? Alcohol, tobacco, drugs etc... ? (could build in a related mechanic - higher profits, but some sort of risk of discovery/capture?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Contraceptives?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Manpower? I assume that will still be useful and in a world like that with the powerful and the...not. There would be a market for human traffic (slaves or for hire...could go either way)

You could also make up a new power source like the "uber goo of making stuff happen" which would be required for certain level production. Or it could be what powers the creativity (like coke, keeps inventors up all night and they are unable to produce without it)

not wholly sure how bleak you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Drugs are usually a safe choice, such as those in Brave New World.
Technology or other high-tech items (such as augmentations) would be rare. You might need to add to the story line to explain what type of drugs/technology these are and why people want them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Tegre wrote:

I just had a look.
Similar sort of beginning idea, but mine is more about the goods and not at all about better transport/ lasers/ upgrades.

funny, I wasn't trying to emphasize the whole upgrading aspect of MoV but more how the economy plays. Your game sounds like it may have a similar economy system set up. If not, one of the big points I've heard of Merchants of Venus economy is how dynamic it can get (especially the older version - don't know if it happens as much in the newer version even though Fantasy Flight has added a few new things.)
MABBY wrote:
The economy of the remaining settlement of humans has degenerated into three kinds of higly successful people: People who supply (sell) raw materials, people who buy raw materials (to produce finished goods), and people who physically move the raw materials between the buyers and the sellers. Truckers-for-hire, if you will.
There are other drones & laborers, and people to make day-to-day living possible, but they don't have much impact on my economy.
Although your color system for the nine provinces probably will make it easier for playtesting purposes as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.