United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

If there is one thing that is turning me off to Sergeants right now is the set-up time. Have any of you done random maps and terrain? It seems to me that if you simply shuffle in the different expansion event cards and simply ignore the event themselves, the game will work just fine. To be honest, I wasn't impressed by the random events on the landmarks when I played the game. Having a soldier drown in a marsh for no real good reason really detracted from the game, IMHO.

I want to be able to throw together a map without the hassle of pulling cards and arranging the tiles. I am thinking about creating a new system with new objectives and general starting zones instead of specific ones as outlined in the scenarios. Start with a set points total for the teams.

I don't know about you, but my teams died well before owning more than half of the landmarks on the map. I don't think that the objective cards are all that balanced or fun.

Thoughts?

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would work fine. I recall someone else doing this and it being fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that setup time is the drag point on this game. I've modded a number of scenarios by adding X Terrain blds, changed entry areas, added a tactical group, etc. It hasn't detracted from the fun and actually sweetened up some scenarios...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
I agree that setup time is the drag point on this game. I've modded a number of scenarios by adding X Terrain blds, changed entry areas, added a tactical group, etc. It hasn't detracted from the fun and actually sweetened up some scenarios...

Thanks guys. I would simply like to put all of the buildings from Du Mont and the farm in one game. The system should be flexible to be able to do that, but as it sits, it is hardwired not to. I will have to try it out with ignoring the events.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
>The system should be flexible to be able to do that, but as it sits, it is hardwired not to.

How so? Even if you want to use the events, why can't you just put the landmark/event cards from both sets into the Story deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Quote:
>The system should be flexible to be able to do that, but as it sits, it is hardwired not to.

How so? Even if you want to use the events, why can't you just put the landmark/event cards from both sets into the Story deck?

The idea is not having to spend 15 minutes searching through the event decks to play a pick-up game of sergeants.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created an old thread that solves the event deck construction/deconstruction issue. An app which possesses all the events and lets you pick the scenario would be awesome. Kevin mentioned there are plans for this down the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Ambush!
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
I don't think that the objective cards are all that balanced or fun.

Thoughts?

-Ski
I will admit that I also enjoy playing SMG much more without the objective cards, especially when teaching the game. I believe the objectives can often work against the VP balance to a fault and can lead to extremely lopsided defeats that do not justify the amount of time it takes to set up the game.

There is often a mismatch when including them and I suppose that gives one a built in excuse for a particularly stinging defeat when the opponent has an easier objective, but not for me. Whenever my objective is deemed the more easily accomplished one it reduces my satisfaction whether I win or lose, so I don't prefer using them.

Han Solo: "I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around."

To save set up time, don't even bother sorting the deck before playing, just do it during, discarding non related landmark events as they appear and continue on. Fast, easy fun. This also carries the interesting consequence of possibly ending the game unexpectedly if the last cards drawn are not relevant to the map tiles in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some time ago I did an analysis of the objectives and their relevant cards. There's a number of scenarios, where if you've got a good memory snore you'll know what your opponents victory conditions/objectives are based on where or when they enter the game. E.g. Scenario X ...if the Germnans enter from Area X, then you know they must hold over 50% of the landmarks???if they enter on turn 2 from Area A, then you automatically know that they must exit from Area Z....etc. (These are just examples...you can do your own analysis )...another gripe, spending points to buy a radio and a mortar/arty round...and not drawing the objective card letting you use them...could have had a few extra troopers yuk. If I'm playing solo to try out some rules/concepts, or just to have fun, I'll make up my own objective(s)...perhaps not as much fun as a random objective or a not known enemy one...but it works for me. While we (I) are on this topic, I'd like to add that I find it more challenging to first make my squad and then have an objective...makes it more challenging, rather than trying to build that perfect squad to accomplish mission X. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Doyle

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Some time ago I did an analysis of the objectives and their relevant cards. There's a number of scenarios, where if you've got a good memory snore you'll know what your opponents victory conditions/objectives are based on where or when they enter the game. E.g. Scenario X ...if the Germnans enter from Area X, then you know they must hold over 50% of the landmarks???if they enter on turn 2 from Area A, then you automatically know that they must exit from Area Z....etc. (These are just examples...you can do your own analysis )...another gripe, spending points to buy a radio and a mortar/arty round...and not drawing the objective card letting you use them...could have had a few extra troopers yuk.

This is why I'm against mandatory objective cards. My understanding of rules 1.5 was Objective Cards were optional and mandatory scenario requirements were in the scenario summary. It's much more fun to say 'Screw leaving the board, I'm killing Germans!'

As is, I feel there should be a points adjustment for the mandatory equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During our last game, my son and I created our own board with some of the farm buildings. After that we picked where the entry and exit locations were around the edges. Finally, we looked through the objectives for 3 we liked and randomly picked 1 of them. Neither side knew what the objectives were for the other side.

It worked really well for us and we had a good time.

Todd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to play any game that did not have some set up time required. Miniatures games just tend to take a while to set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I have yet to play any game that did not have some set up time required. Miniatures games just tend to take a while to set up.

This one takes a bit more than most! Searching through tiles and trying to arrange them correctly is a royal pain in the caboose.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce E. Schwark
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Be thankful you have opportunity to play. I have not had an opponent with whom to play since Little Wars in April.
I'd relish the 30 minutes to set up the board and assemble the deck if I could just play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cv3saratoga wrote:
Be thankful you have opportunity to play. I have not had an opponent with whom to play since Little Wars in April.
I'd relish the 30 minutes to set up the board and assemble the deck if I could just play.

It's been since before Christmas that I've had a chance to play too yuk

-Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pseudonym
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
martimer wrote:

This one takes a bit more than most! Searching through tiles and trying to arrange them correctly is a royal pain in the caboose.

-Ski

Question; when you say "more than most", which games are you comparing it to? A ask because I can't think of anything close to SMG to compare.

Miniature wise I can only think of X-Wing and Wings of _____ and they play so differently I wouldn't compare them. Most other miniature games I know are like FoW or Warhammer and those require buying, building, and/or painting terrain. Not to mention the cost(in money and time) of painting an army.

The closest (game wise) thing I can think of is Arkham Horror and that takes a couple few minutes to set up as well. I think it's the price you pay for the variables that keeps SMG interesting.

I don't mind the set up time as it gives me a chance to socialize with whom ever I am playing against. I will say though if you are playing a few games in a row, the time it takes to break it all down and then set up is noticeable.

I find it helps to break the maps tiles down in groups of ten. I also use one expansion box to keep all of the landmarks in and the DoD box just for the smaller tiles. I can roll a map out in a minute or two.

-Jeff M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanomag wrote:
Teamski wrote:
martimer wrote:

-Ski

Question; when you say "more than most", which games are you comparing it to? A ask because I can't think of anything close to SMG to compare.

Heroscape (Maps!) Thunderstone (Decks!) Battlelore (Troops!) Etc, Etc.....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As far as making things quicker for a pick up game, maybe just pick a scenario that doesn't involve too much "extra stuff" like artillery or explosives. Then pre-build the story deck for that scenario and just have the tiles for that map in your box when you take it out for a pick up game. You can also pre-build the troop decks for that scenario. Then it should be all easy to assemble and get going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorting your tiles and cards numerically goes a long way to speeding up set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pseudonym
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Hanomag wrote:
Teamski wrote:
martimer wrote:

-Ski

-Ski

I was meaning a game that had much of the same set up requirements as SMG. I can name many games that share one aspect or another, just not one that has many. Other than Arkham. I am honestly curious as I can't think of any, though I am not huge gamer.

-Jeff M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanomag wrote:
Teamski wrote:
Hanomag wrote:
Teamski wrote:
martimer wrote:

-Ski

-Ski

I was meaning a game that had much of the same set up requirements as SMG. I can name many games that share one aspect or another, just not one that has many. Other than Arkham. I am honestly curious as I can't think of any, though I am not huge gamer.

-Jeff M.

Trust me, Heroscape can take over an hour if the map is big enough.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-sort the tiles, so that's not too much of an issue. Finding the right mix of troops and equipment to keep within cost allowances is my main headache. Really need a quick, efficient way to select troops cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Hanomag wrote:
Teamski wrote:
Hanomag wrote:
Teamski wrote:
martimer wrote:

-Ski

-Ski

-Jeff M.

Trust me, Heroscape can take over an hour if the map is big enough.

-Ski

Yeah, Heroscape can take a bit longer than SMG. That's why I have 3 maps (not as big as in the picture) built at all times and built on small pieces of drywall and sitting on a baker's shelf in my office. This is mainly for playtesting for C3G superhero designs, but makes it easy to load them in the back of my Trailblazer to take elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dealing with the issue of "knowing" what the opponent's objectives are based on entry area (or process of elimination), one item in the pipeline is to add some 'generic' objective/Orders cards to the system, so that several could be included into the mix on any given scenario and remove those unfortunate certainties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Dealing with the issue of "knowing" what the opponent's objectives are based on entry area (or process of elimination), one item in the pipeline is to add some 'generic' objective/Orders cards to the system, so that several could be included into the mix on any given scenario and remove those unfortunate certainties.

I hope you're right on that one. Extra generic objective/orders cards would continue to keep the game fresh and reduce or eliminate the little "cheat" I talked about thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.