Subject: Tactical Surprise Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am the Sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
First turn of the War:

“OK, let’s get the briefing started Jack, everyone is here” says the General.

The Intelligence Officer looks around to see that everyone is ready and then starts the briefing.

“As you all know about five days ago our JSTARS and various satellite recon assets picked up unmistakable evidence that the North Koreans were coming across the border. Because of that the frontline South Korean infantry units were able to do some positioning and move to better defensive areas and allow covering forces to move into position, mainly in the V and III Corps areas.

“About three days ago the North launched dozens of SCUD missiles targeting major airbases in South Korea. This caused massive causalities in the South’s air units; with their Wild Weasel units destroyed and their A-50’s taking a beating. Two airbases, Osan and Daegu were destroyed. Four others were seriously damaged and three more lightly hit. Right as this bombardment happened, a nuclear weapon was detonated in the port of Busan. The damage is catastrophic there.”

“How bad are the civilians hit?” asks the General.

“Well sir it was a low yield weapon that we believe was on a fishing trawler that made its way to the major dock facilities. Civilian causalities will rise. However, our problem is all the prepositioned equipment that was in Busan is now gone. We will have a heck of a time trying to bring heavy units into South Korea, plus the Air Force is going to have to operate from Japan for the most part” replies Jack.
“Understood….continue” replies the General.

“Yes sir. Right as the SCUD’s started falling numerous airfields and the JFC HQ were hit by North Korean special operations units. Damage was caused to Daejou Airbase and three airfields. Our total air losses are 9 steps of aircraft and 40% of our air transport assets. However, one Chinese special ops group was wiped out when they attacked Daejou Airbase. In the ensuing air battles the North was able to gain air superiority even though the three flights of South Korean F-15K’s and the Navies F-35’s were able to roughly handle a bunch of Mig-29’s.”

The General nods his head, “Do we have any good news?”

“Well sir, our JSTARS were able to pinpoint the location of four North Korean HQ units. Right as the shooting started three US Ranger units went on a SCUD hunting expedition and destroyed two launchers. Also, three ROK special ops groups with a Commonwealth Royal Marine unit hit the North Korean 806 and I Corps HQ’s. The 806 got off light but the I Corps was hit hard. That seriously helped the ROK III and VIII Corps in their defense of the east coast road. The North then sent in a very large air package, using obsolete airframes, and tried to hit units in the ROK I, VI, and VII Corps. Only one unit suffered damage, the Capital Mech Division of the VII Corps. They should be back in business in a day or two. Also, the UN Security Council has denounced the nuclear attack and is backing the South and us completely. Plus the Japanese have thrown in their full support. They have a Surface Action Group ready to move and an Airborne battalion with Apache helo support ready to move in country.”

“The land war now Jack” replies the General.

“Yes sir. Well the North Koreans moved two marine brigades into the Yellow Sea. Airmobile units tried to land south of Seoul but were aborted by SAM and AAA fire. The three forward North Korean infantry corps struck all along the DMZ, mostly hitting the covering forces. Their V Corps has made the best gains so far, getting just north of Uijeongbu. Two artillery corps, the 620 and KDG, is supporting this drive as well as the drive by the I Corps. The South Korean V Corps was hit pretty hard and had most of its infantry divisions reduced and its armor brigade was destroyed. They are being pulled out to form a reserve and try to get some replacements. The I corps lost an armor brigade and has one division pretty banged up. The Capital Corps moved into the line to the west of I Corps while the I and VI Corps shifted to cover the pull out of the V Corps. We were hoping to keep the mechanized VII Corps as a reserve but with V Corps hit so badly we had to commit it east of Uijeongbu. The III Corps along the east coast lost one division but has joined up with the VIII Corps and has four divisions and a brigade on the line but one of the divisions is reduced. The ROK II Corps has not received much attention yet. One last item of note sir, the ROK 1 Army was able to get an infantry division and armor brigade together and destroy the North Korean V Corps HQ located east of Munam.”

“As far as the North’s mobile units go, the 815 Mech, 820 Armor, and PYG Motorized are all north of Uijeongbu and only units from the 815 Mech have been partly committed. In the east they have two more mobile corps, the 108 Mech and 806 Mech. The 806 Mech helped clear the covering forces from the area since the I Corps HQ unit was hit hard. We have not detected exactly what their plan is yet but once the mobile formations are committed I believe we will quickly find out. As far as reserves go the North has the VII Corps coming online in Hamhung and the XII Corps around Pyongyang. There is a few more infantry corps mobilizing in the interior. The North’s losses have been pretty severe in my book sir: two infantry divisions, two armor brigades, four light infantry brigades, and a sniper brigade.”

“You didn’t mention the III Corps Jack” says the General.

“Well sir, it appears their units have moved into the ports of Haegu and Chinnamp’o. Two of their Marine brigades landed near Gunsan Airbase and an airborne brigade landed near the port of Janghang. We think they are going to try to move the III Corps by sea to the port.”

Murmurs go around the room and the General sits up a little straighter. “What have we got to send that way? Looks like the winter weather has helped them with the marshy areas freezing.”

“Sir, the 1 Brigade of the 2 Infantry Division is already moving there. They were able to destroy an airborne unit in Janghang and secure the port for now. If more units land there they will need some help. We do have two regiments of Marines plus the rest of the 82nd Airborne Division is landing at Wonju as we speak. Plus, the Japanese Airborne battalion landed at Pyeongtaek Airfield. We could shift some of those troops there to try to push the North Korean Marines out?” says Jack.

“Let’s make it happen Jack. Plus I don’t want any air units going north of the DMZ. Their IADS system is brutal and until we can knock it down some we won’t go. Priority targets for the air guys are HQ’s, supply dumps, and mobile supply units.”

“Understood sir…”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will note that, in the above session report, Dan has utilized one of the subtler nuances from the SCUD-busting rules by using his "Rangers," i.e. SOF Markers, to attack the SCUD marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
I will note that, in the above session report, Dan has utilized one of the subtler nuances from the SCUD-busting rules by using his "Rangers," i.e. SOF Markers, to attack the SCUD marker.

I tried to figure out what was the best use for the Allied SOF units and since SCUDs are so powerful everyone of them that is destroyed is good for the Allied cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Been thinking about this one: I think your outstanding AAR just pushed me over the line.

I'm a HUGE fan of Chadwick's Third World War. How does it compare to that gem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I don't own Third World War. I have the southern game but never played it hoping to get the rest of the series. Maybe one day I will get lucky and find it.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang. Hopefully someone that has played both will pipe up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Crisis: Korea 1995 traces a direct lineage/inheritance to some of the air rules. Gene could probably expound on that at more length.

{edit} And, of course, Next War: Korea simply refined the original rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mitchell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Smith
United States
Edgewater
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GDW's 3WW series was much simpler but excellent for large-scale, full-theater campaigning. They were designed as the more playable alternative to the various complex, high-realism NATO-Warsaw Pact games SPI was producing during the late 70s-early 80s, games of which GMT's Next War series is the lineal descendent.

Back in the mid-80s I participated in a massive NATO scenario (Arctic Front, Central Front, Southern Front) using VG's Second Fleet for the naval dimension. It proved easy to integrate the two systems using common-sense house rules and the KISS principle.

3WW had very interesting mechanisms for proficiency and aviation that very simply conveyed NATO's asymmetric quality advantages against the much more numerous Pact armies. One could get skilled at using the associated techniques and achieve dramatic penetrations and fix-&-flank maneuvers. The Pact needed to employ doctrinal echelonment to counter such maneuvers. (But I suppose you know all this!)

Many Cold-War-era modern-war aficionados seem to have found the series as fascinating as you do and our group did 'back in the day'. Hence the games' legendary status and after-market prices (when accessible at all).

R/Tim Smith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.