Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas van Nieuwkasteele
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone outside the USA received their game via pre-order??

Ordered this game in 2010, when it was supposed to “soon be printed”, 3 years later I notice that some fellow games own the game.

Have sent about 10 emails to Avalanche press, asking when I would receive my copy. Alas Avalanche Press hasn’t had the decency to reply once.

Two other pre-orders I did receive, after pestering them weekly. The only reply I ever got was the curt reply., “ Order sent”.

Instead of sending their weekly newsletter, it might be a better policy to just reply to emails.

Well I have decided to never buy anything from them again and my advice to fellow gamers never order anything from them direct.

Best wisher Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
A thousand yards...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Thomas,

I just sent you a Geekmail re: your order; Mike indicated he shipped it today after I advised him of your situation following seeing your post yesterday. Hope you enjoy it, and let me know if it hasn't shown up in a couple of weeks. And, as always, I welcome feedback on my designs.

Additional info:

Remember the Maine was finally published in January this year. If it's any consolation, I haven't received my (printed) copy yet either, despite having pre-ordered it in 2010 and then finally joining the dark side and designing, developing and leading the testing of it in 2012.

APL is still alive, yes, but is now down to Mike B. plus Susan Robinson, and a number of free-lance artists and developers handled on contract basis as well as outright volunteers (like me). Mike and Susan handle the assembly and shipping of games, design / development / art if not sub'd, plus marketing and customer service on a daily basis. Understand that he routinely receives 100's of e-mails a day, and has to wade through those in conjunction with getting promised products out. So replies are short/curt (kind of like the ones I get when discussing product design/proofing) and often delayed.

The old pre-orders are being shipped slowly, as new product / orders (just paid for) get priority, and when extra cash becomes available, a chunk of the old (debt) pre-orders gets cleared and goes out. Mike remains committed to fulfilling all the old pre-orders, however it will take time. I think about 2/3 of the old 2007-2010 list has been published as of today, however pre-orders like Battles of 1866 (Part 1 of 3), PG: Kursk (Part 1 of 2) and SWWAS: The Kaiser's Navy continue to ship even though the titles were finally published in 2012. Plus, for those products that morphed into multiples, those who pre-ordered will eventually get the family (Kursk is the first test of that). I for one am happy he didn't walk away and declare bankruptcy; with the lessons learned, hopefully the company will get back in the black, and be able to support the popular series they are known for on a more stable basis.

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas van Nieuwkasteele
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your help, I have within a day of posting my first message received confirmation that the game is sent.

Also I do appreciate your additional information why things are this way and I do understand that if APL went bankrupt we would never get our pre-orders.

An honest mail from APL to their customers explaining this would have given more credits. How the game was presented on the site and in various newsletters in 2010 gave the idea that it was finished and ready to be printed.

What I have learned from this expirience is to never pre-order a game for which you need to pay upfront, as it seems the risks of a game never being printed are more probable than before.

Look forward in playing Remember The Maine in the near future.

Best Wishes,
Thomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Lee

Fargo
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have to agree with the last comment. If I knew that the company was struggling, I would have bought directly rather than bargain hunting from end retailers.soblue The product has overall good production values; I applaud the publisher's efforts!

I have 5 more games to buy in the series in print, so Mike will get my dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.