Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules don't make a fuss about diagonal movement. Most of the sectors dont have diagonal neighbors, except for the outer ring of Border Space. Just for completeness, I'm guessing that moving the Reaver or a Firefly in this area diagonally is legit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused on your question. There is no spots on the board that come to a perfect square, so you can move anywhere that is adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So say I want to move the reaver from it's start space to the sector that bumps up against Aesir. I call that diagonal because the connection of the sectors is not along an edge but at the corners. The rules for flying say "adjacent." Just wondering if this corner connection counts counts as adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I am generally inclined to think that two spaces touching at a corner are adjacent, unless the rules specifically say otherwise.

If you want something a little more "texty" for argumentative players to chew on:

The rules don't provide an exact definition of the word "adjacent." Without an official definition of this word in the rules, we have only the English language definition to work with. This is the English language definition of "adjacent:"

Merriam-Webster wrote:

ad·ja·cent
adjective \ə-ˈjā-sənt\

: close or near : sharing a border, wall, or point"

I'd say that two spaces connected by a corner count as "sharing a point."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
My group considers sectors that share a common "point" to be adjacent.

Barring an official ruling from GF9, I see no reason not to handle it this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the way the rest of the board is organized, with most sectors sharing a flat border, i would say diagonal doesn't count, but that's just my personal interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Lauritzen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider them adjacent either, since it's only on the edge of the map are there 4-line points.

BTW, why on EARTH did the designers me the board this way? Adds confusion that doesn't generate any theme or strategery or anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
My group considers sectors that share a common "point" to be adjacent.

Barring an official ruling from GF9, I see no reason not to handle it this way.

Not the definition of adjacent but never mind as GP9 clarified it in the Blue Sun rules (diagonal sectors are not adjacent).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit, I was allowing diagonal movement in those zones up until getting Blue Sun. It only really ever mattered before for Reaver movement, so it didn't have much of an effect before, but those Blue Sun Rules are indeed very clear that diagonal movement isn't allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.