Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very new to Tichu, learning to play on the iOS app, so take it easy if this is a stupid question cool

What's the opinion on breaking a pair of aces in order to have two possible winners in singleton tricks?

I imagine it depends a lot on the status of the Dragon and Phoenix?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that I probably break a pair of aces more often than not. But I'm far from an expert player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time, the aces are more powerful separately. If you take two kings, each with an ace, you gain the lead twice. If you take a pair of kings with a pair of aces, you only gain the lead once.

But sometimes losing the lead even once is not acceptable.

Also, sometimes, you would rather play your aces as a pair, because they can't be beat (except by a bomb), while if you play them separately you can lose to the dragon or phoenix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
I'm very new to Tichu, learning to play on the iOS app, so take it easy if this is a stupid question cool

What's the opinion on breaking a pair of aces in order to have two possible winners in singleton tricks?

I imagine it depends a lot on the status of the Dragon and Phoenix?

I would routinely break a pair of Aces if I thought that I could win the hand, either because I suspected my partner held the Dragon and/or Phoenix, or because these special cards were already in play. Breaking these up especially makes sense if you have no other power singles in your hand, e.g. Jack or higher, for end-game lead-taking ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consideration factors include (not exhaustive list):
1) Number of single cards in your hand.
2) Number of doubles in your hand.
3) Any knowledge of where specials are
4) Whether your (realistic) goal is to: make your own Tichu, support your partner's Tichu, break an opponent's Tichu, avoid going out last, etc.

All in all splitting is probably more common in my experience, but I'm not sure it's by a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing is an always but I'd say I split my aces 90% of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.